fallen on my hand after carpal tunnel surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

i had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand on 19th january, i still have my stitches in and today i fell down the stairs n i landed on my let hand which hurt like hell and want to know if i would have done any damage to it, i also have pain on the left side of my hand nad in my elbow and what to know what i should do about it

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I guess the chance of damage is as much as in any fall. About 7 days after having my 2nd hand done one of my children had a serious accident I instinctively ran and picked them up ... hes 11 so heavy and saw to his injuries...only afterwards did I think about my arm....my arm ached for a few days through the palm and up my forearm, but it didnt do it any harm....I guess you must be due to have yr stitches out so tell them what happened.....or go to yr gp or if I was worried Id go to local minor injuries unit. Hope it heals well regardless. X
    • Posted

thank you emma this has help put my mind at rest, i am due to have my stitches out on the 2nd so i will tell them what has happened n see what they say, the pain i an deal with as it something i have regular as i suffer with fibromyalgia 

thank you again emma and i hope it does too x

• Posted

How is your hand? A week after surgery I was jogging and tripped and fell on the sidewalk and stuck out my operated hand so I could crash down on it. It bled and hurt so much. But now that was a year ago and everything is fine.
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I too had CT surgery on 6th Feb and stitches out 2 days ago right dominant hand - however, I fell going up the stairs onto my right wrist the day after surgery. It hurt a lot of course but decided after seeing my GP dud to wrist pain, to have X-ray on 15th Feb. No fracture shown but given a splint -  hooray back to splint again??! 

It does ease pain but probably because I'm not moving it as much? My scar is good and I can touch all finger tips well with no numbness as I've exercised them since day one to help. I'm not sure now where the sometimes severe wrist pain - inside and out is coming from when I try to bend, pinch fingers to pick something up or grip something .. Still wonder if it's from the CT op as to be expected, or from the fall? 

It seems like most have the op and then they give you very little info re what to expect if do afterwards??? 

I also have Fibromyalgia and wonder if this is causing worse pain? It's early days I suppose and we both have no choice than to stick with it and hope for the best? 

Good luck! 

• Posted

How are you doing? I fell onto my hand one day after getting my stitches out (2 weeks after the surgery). Prior to falling, I was about 90% recovered, i thought. Now I feel more like 50% recovered and am quite discouraged. I really fell hard, though. so I am hoping that my fall is the cause of my stiffness and will be improving soon.
  • Posted

I had my right hand done back in March did great. I'm right handed as well. October 2nd i had my left hand done. October 14th I got stitches out and in the 15th fell on my hand in my kitchen. I seen a Doctor in the office but not my Doctor because he was out I go tomorrow to see my Doctor that did my surgery. Hopefully all is well. They did do x-rays and not broken but it hurts so bad. I keep getting sharp pain shooting towards my incision.

• Posted

You will want to check with your doctor and make sure things are fine as they say you can do damage to the tissue that is still healing inside. I myself had surgery on the 22nd of January on dominant hand and fell the other day and was worried myself, but everything is fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.