Falling

Posted , 9 users are following.

31/2 weeks intoTKR and twice now I have fallen not sure if luck or not but each time a cupboard saved me hitting the floor so bumps and bruises but able to get back to my chair. When I was in hospital un related to falls my surgeon told me to get on with things you can not damage the replacement I had to say it was the other parts of me that were the worry.!! Any thoughts on the falls guys when your home alone.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

oh yes!

I got a small leather backless stool before I had my knee done, thought as it was on castors it would be easy to just roll around the kitchen.

In on my own, about two weeks post op, realised it was a bit low, so put a cushion on it.

Then put myself on it.

Oops! The stool shot one way, the cushion shot the other way, and I ended up flat on my back.

Lay there in shock for five mins, then realised I had somehow to get back up.

I now know what an upside down turtle feels like.

In the middle of the floor, nothing to hold on to.

Finally crawled on one knee?? And managed to drag myself up on the oven, the drop down door only hit me on the head once!

I never knew you could still find bruises so long after a fall😳

• Posted

Just reminded me of my brother in law. He once placed a cushion on top of a poliished dining table in ordeer to add height so he could strip the ceiling. The cushion just slid away from underneath him and he ended p sitting on the floor looking like Any Capp. My sister full of sympathy looked at him and said 'You daft b.........

Hope this gets past the moderator.

• Posted

Laura, I hope you are able to laugh about this now. I remember the first time I had to get low to get to the back of a cupboard in the kitchen. Getting down was not so bad. I hadn't even thought about how I was going to get up. I'd had both knees replaced at the same time and have never had a lot of upper body strength. First there was a bit of panic, then I just started laughing that my roommate would come home to find me sleeping on the kitchen floor. Determination won out and I moved onto my stomach, curled my toes under and using my arms I just started pushing up until I was in some sort of yoga position with my behind straight up.  Then I managed to walk my legs out and using my hands I walked them in towards my spread legs and was able to get up. It's no wonder I eventually suffered an umbilical hernia (which is what brought me to this site). Let's just say that I learned quickly that I needed to sthrengthen my upper body.

• Posted

Hi there poor you we all have a story to tell don't we this TKR isn't easy is it I wish you well 

• Posted

Thinking back, it was so stupid to put a cushion on a stool with wheels!

it din't do any damage except to my pride??

• Posted

We all do stupid things. Anyway it was not stupid.
  • Posted

Sods law.

Use your walking stick for balance for the time being. Don't take any chances.

Sit down if putting washing in/out of the washer.

Keep the phone close to hand. DOn't rush to answee it or the door. If urgent they will call back.

• Posted

yes yes thought I did all that but sometimes you just forget for a mo don't but thanks 

• Posted

Once my brother fallen down the stair and I call the doctor.Then he rest for 14days. 

• Posted

Well there are certainly exceptions to the rule as scrannel has shown, but most of us need to take our time. We all had tkr for various reasons and our physical conditions were different. I had my double tkr 10 years after my oa started and was not in the best shape. But I took my time and actually kept up and did better than most people with a single tkr. listen to your body and excercise to strengthen muscles. Look on YouTube for ways to get up off floor. Also great videos for excercises and tips as you progress. Good luck!
    • Posted

Well said Roma, we all recover at our own rate and get there x
    • Posted

I just feel -- after going through this and watching others who did -- we underestimate our abilities.  At least consider reducing the heavy meds and suppliment with over the counter.  Is this a race?  With yourself, maybe?  I'm now 69.  7 months ago had level 8 lumbar fusion -- ten hour surgery.  At 6 months was back on my mountain bike and my motorcycle.  We have this tiny bit of life given us; like to spend as little of it as possible on my back watching Croc vs. Hippo reruns on Discovery Channel.   

• Posted

I agree with you.

There are definitely very valid reasons on both sides about the length of time spent getting over illnesses, conditions, procedures. It helps to hear from both sides of the argument if you see what I mean.

I entirely agree with your comments on time spending on your back watching re runs odf whatever. I feel exactly the same way. P....... off.

I wish that our bodies stayed young and healthy. Are u in US?

After considering I am replying again. I think I jumped in too quickly with my response to you scrannel so sorry.

I am in the UK and the weather is horrible. Summer my foot.

Dark, miserable rainy weather.

​My body knows when the weather is damp etc.

• Posted

I agree getting off heavy meds is vital. I was on them for 6 mths before surgery and got off them by three weeks post op, I just was on co-codamol and ipbrufen after that and only take them ocasionally now. I am 50 and do want my life back to how it was 6 years ago. I am getting there but definately could not do what you did so early. i am not ready for dattime boring tv yet. I have too much life to live yet and a job to do.  
    • Posted

hi Delirious, I'm in UK too and agree the weather is awful, just want to get out walking but in pouring rain!!!!!  spending time clearing cupboards out instead...boring

• Posted

thank you,scanner was rather rude I felt no help at all 
    • Posted

I just think scrannel  was trying to motivate people in general. I have been scared into 'taking it easy' by doctors with dire consequences including loss of muscle tone. I am trying to regain it now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.