Falling in Hospital

Posted , 6 users are following.

My dad who is 78 was admitted to hospital on Friday.  In the 4 days he's been in there he's fallen 4 times.  Whilst i know he is not steady on his feet he is not in the habit of falling at home.  How do I deal with this?  I'm worried he will come out of hospital in a worse condition than he went in.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is the falling over anything to do with the reason for admission to hospital in the first place or was it a separate reason? My Dad's partner is much the same age. She falls easily due to imbalance after a minor stroke 3 years ago.
  • Posted

Please check with doctor he does not have an ear infection or menieres disease (in the ears) causing dizziness. Also is your Dad eating all his meals and excercising regularly. May need blood test too.

Best wishes for your Dad.

Sue

• Posted

Have them check sodium levels. It needs to be corrected very slowly if it is low.
  • Posted

The easiest thing to do without causing any even minor alarm, is to ask the staff to leave a walker at his bedside. Then, when he gets on his feet he grabs that and is able to walk and balance with it.  I am surprised you don't even say why he is in hospital in the first place. You give us no lead as to what it might be. Also when we are elderly we are inclined to get dizzy upon standing up from lying down. He has to sit on the edge of his bed for a few moments and it will pass.
  • Posted

Have a family member sit with your father at all times, and observe him, then you can witness why this is happening.........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.