Fast heart rate After taking Iron Meds. Why/Help

Posted , 33 users are following.

I am currently taking irons tablets although everytime i take them i have a loud and uncomfortable heartrate which is very fast. Has anyone else experienced this? Or know what it is? Thanks.

3 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Edited

It's been awhile since you posted this but I've never heard of this side effect from tablets. Your body may be sensitive to something in the pill (the way they manufactured the pill). Tablets are known to have much more side effects than iron liquid. I'm personally sensitive to a lot of meds so my doctor told me taking iron liquid is best for me and I have no side effect from it and have been on it since Nov/Dec.

You can call your doctor and tell them your symptoms and they can lower the dose or try you on something else.

• Posted

Hey, yes possibly, although i have no idea on how i go about identifying which ingredient does not agree with me rolleyes
    • Posted

where is the liqud iron from? im noticing palpitations every day its horrible im on the sulphate iron. i was on 3 now cut it to 2. the palpitations are making me so anxious x

• Posted

hi Annie. If you have a Sprouts or Whole Foods in your area, i buy mine from there. There may be other brands but I use the one by Floradix. Its called Floravital Iron and Herbs. It comes in a red & white box. My stomach doesnt handle the iron pills like i did when i was younger so the liquid form has been helpful.

• Edited

Hi

the fast heart beat is a symptom of anaemia ... Your blood doesn't have enough red blood cells so you don't carry enough oxygen your heart has to beat faster and faster to get enough oxygen to the brain and organs ... You may have a constant headache caused by not enough oxygen ... Itching skin , really disturbed sleep , extreme fatigue .. I got palpitations as well .. The iron tablets take 2-3 weeks to start reversing these symptoms ..

the iron tablets cause stomach problems as there main side effects .. 

Hope u improve soon it's quite scary to lie in bed with your heart pounding to pump blood round you as if you were running .. 

• Edited

Hi 

I have always found pharmacists to be a wealth of info about drugs tablets etc far more knowledgable than a gp..

might be worth asking your pharmacist ? 

• Edited

Your not wrong Hun I had the same racing heart for hours an felt so I'll also turned my skin yellow I went docs they took me straight of them

I'm going to try a liquid one with diet I'm a little scared to try anything tbh lol xx

• Posted

Sorry Sally that was meant for Chloe lol xx
    • Posted

how you finding it now better on liqud iron ? im getting palpitations every day im on the ferros sulphate

• Edited

I get this too, and it's driving me crazy. About half an hour after taking any iron, I don't care if it's a pill or if it's liquid, or if it's seriously a few drops of a big package of liquid, my muscles get tight, my neck / joints start cracking, my heart starts racing, and I get total anxiety and I feel like crying. What in the world is going on and why does nobody know what it is. Oddly enough, I get the exact same reaction from zinc. And I'm very deficient in both.

• Edited

do you mind me asking what type of iron you used? I had the same reaction from an Iron Glycinate that was mixed with B complex vitamins. I have had iron infusions and have taken other iron supplements in the past, but have never had this reaction in my life. I tried taking the iron on an empty stomach and with food but still experienced the heart racing. I found that it wasn't so bad if I took it with food. I stopped taking the supplement because it made me so sick!

• Posted

Me too! I get bad anxiety! did you figure out why it was happening?

• Edited

I get this too. I've been back to my doctor on and off for years about this. I got very anemic (7) and after taking 3 iron tablets throughout the day as prescribed I had to phone the emergency services for a fast heart rate. It eventually went down to 72 which was not my normal heart rate and the medic suggested that the anemia caused the increase.

?Since then I stopped taking 3 iron tablets and only take 2. But if I stop taking the tablets for any length of time I have to start at 1 tablet and gradually increase to avoid the fast heart rate. Yesterday I started taking 2 iron tablets and got another episode during the night. My heart rate went up to 150 and after pacing around it went back down to 72 in about 20 - 30 minutes. It was so scary, like my heart was beating out of my chest. I also get the same symptoms if I eat anything high in iron like dark red meat or liver. It is horrible and frightening. But I'm anemic so I have to take them...

I'm having a hysterectomy soon so I'm really hoping my anemia will be solved then and I don't get these horrible symptoms.

?When I first started taking the tablets years ago (when my anemia was at 7) I had heart racing at around 20 minutes during which time I was digesting the tablets. Now (when my anemia is at 11) I tend to get them only at night after several hours after taking the iron. I don't know why. It's weird. So I've stopped taking iron after 2pm so I don't get the symptoms. Any later than that and I get a fast heartrate later that day. It is not nice at all.

?I've been to the doctor several times about this but they don't catch the episode on the ECG. Instead I manage it by gradually increasing iron intake rather than suddenly taking 2 in one day. I take half a tablet, then when I feel ok, I take a whole tablet gradually increasing in halves until I am at 2 a day, which keeps my anemia at bay. It means I have to suffer from anemia longer though.

?I wish someone could explain what this is.

• Posted

Thank you so much for posting this. My anemia has been down to seven as well and is up to 13, but I still need the iron because my periods are still heavy. It seems to be connected to needing to have a bowel movement. I think the iron is messing with my stomach, but sometimes after I go my heart rate goes down. I still need the iron because my periods are still heavy. I wake up with racing heart rates and then strangely it seems to be connected to needing to have a bowel movement in the middle of the night I think the iron is messing with my stomach, but sometimes after I go my heart rate goes down. My anxiety gets so high, though, that I can get it up into the 190s and then I’m scared I’m having a heart attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.