Fast uncomfortable heart rate after eating gluten

Posted , 20 users are following.

Just wondered if anyone mistakingly ate gluten and soon after got a really fast and unfortable heart rate, also i get very tired after the smallest bit of gluten. Please could someone share some light on why this happens or just let me know if this has happened to you. Thank you! 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well it's a bit difficult to put mine down to that but it doesn't mean you are the same.  Do you consume a lot of tea and coffee? Some people with coeliacs can't tolerate coffee. I have found that I have become intolerant to caffeine too and have recently come off it. (That was no joke either, the effects of giving up caffeine are horrendous, but that's another story). 

As everyone's symptoms are different when they consume gluten in error, it's certainly feasible. 

• Posted

Hey Fiona,

No i seem to be perfectly fine with any sort of caffine and sugar. I've just has a cup of tea without milk and two sugars, and a bannana to eat. I feel fine, but i am going to see if eating a bit of bread starts it of. It's a horrible feeling, like i am running out of breath and my heart can't keep up. I've had a 24 hour ecg but they said it's only a slight bit faster than normal, but it doesn't feel like it ha!

• Posted

Hello,

Have you found out what is the cause??

The same exact thing has been happening to me lately, fast heart rate after I eat, shortness of breathe and just feel super out of it. Drs did a 24 hour ecg and said my heart naturally beats high. I've been doing research and think it may be gluten. I just didn't know if gluten could cause rapid heart rate.

Please share if you have answers as my symptoms are like yours!! Thank you!!!

• Posted

bread and banana does the same to me, tow or three hours in horrible condition after that nothing happen. i have no idea what is it. i suffer from AFIB but i had same before the AFIB

• Posted

hi! i have the same thing!! i started noticing it a while ago, after eating bread. i just remembered that last summer i was taking antibiotics for 3 weeks - doxycyclin, and that it could cause gluten intolerance. i am soso angry that i didnt know i had to take probiotics with it. i also had a condition called SVT i thats what i thought it was until i got a heart ablation done to burn an electrical pathway in my heart. but this thing with fast heart rate ( 85-100 when sitting, over 100-115 when standing) continued after eating pizza or any kind of bread..i am planning on going to gastrointerologist to see what my options are and how i can get tested for gut health and gluten intolerance. Tell me your story!

• Posted

i have an afib, but had an ablation almost 5 years ago. i notices about 2 years ago when i would eat bread my heart rate would skyrocket up to 140 (on heart meds to control my rate) so i gave up gluten.

recently i accidently had something with gluten, and not only does my heart race, but i shake and it feels like there is adreniline surging through me. The next day it was like i had the worst hangover of my life. why does this happen?

• Posted

That was my next suggestion, having an ECG. It can be quite alarming when this happens can't it? Did they not suggest looking into other causes? Have you had your thyroid checked? Abnormalities with your thyroid can cause symptoms with your heart? After being diagnosed with Coeliac disease my thyroid medication had to be reduced,  (after going gluten free for around six months) as the levothyroxine at the level I was on was making my heart
    • Posted

(Continued. Don't know what happens there?) ..................

was making my heart rate race. So it might be worth looking into.

• Posted

Hi this happens to me alot, i get palpitations and its scary. If i eat any Gluten by mistake within one hour i feel like im sea sick and am violently sick, it lasts about three hours and then im back to kind of normal. Coeliac disease makes me very tired most of the time. Its not great.
  • Posted

This happens to me.  It is one of the symptons I was experiencing before diagnosis that was getting me really worried.  Now I hardly ever experience, only when something has been contaminated.  Sometimes at night if I've been gluked it feels like my head is bouncing on my pillow with each heart beat and I'm awake for hours.  The next day I'm really tired and weepy.  
  • Posted

Yes.. It's happening to me now. I was mistakenly eating the gluten and realized something wrong 15 minutes after my heart rate run over 100/minute. Dig the trash for the Baxter mushroom soup and found Wheatflour highlighted ingredient. Took a pill of beta-blocker but heart is still pumping for an hour afterward!! Big lessen
    • Posted

I feel as though my blood pressure suddenly drops, although it doesn't as i have bought a monitor. Then to play netball i have to take a beta blocker or i will feel like my heart is going to explode lol. I need a few tests done to see if it is anything more than gluten.
  • Posted

Have you been diagnosed as Coeliac? If so you must never eat even a tiny amount of gluten or it will make you very ill with or without a whole range of symptoms possibly including fast heart rate. Wheat intollerance can make you feel very poorly too but will not be causing the same long term damage as Coeliac disease will. I really would speak to your GP and get diagnosis. Having said this my experience is GPs are clueless about Coeliac and so if possible get them to refer you you a gastroenterologist. You need to be persistent as in these days of cut backs money is more important than health and there is no money to be made from Coeliacs as we can't be made better with a pill........just strictly NO GLUTEN.

Hope you get sorted and feel better soon. smile

• Posted

I know this is a fairly old thread but I've just come across it and thought I would add. I had been gluten free for 10 months and have just started eating gluten again so I can be tested for coeliac. It's been 12 days now and what you are describing has been a reliable symptom of mine about an hour or so after consuming gluten. I get a racing heart, a shaky feeling inside and basically all the physical symptoms of anxiety but I am not actually anxious! I have a heart rate monitor and have checked my heart rate during these episodes and it does increase a bit- but more just what it would be like if I ran up the stairs. I then get SO tired. It's seiously as though I have been drugged. I struggle to speak and feel very confused. I can also start sobbing, although I don't actually feel upset. It can be SO intense. The worst part lasts maybe 5-20 mins but the tiredeness can be a whole day, of varying degrees.

Before I was doing this gluten challenge and was gluten free, I had experienced this a few times and suspected I had accidentally consumed gluten. I was so careful with my diet and it seemed to happed most when I'd ate out- even when I was promissed gluten free (I realise now people just don't get it). Now I'm seeing this happen to me every day, I'm now even more certain that's what it was. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.