Fatigue after knee replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an Oxford half-knee replacement in 2001 with absolutely no problems. The second one was done in April. For four or five weeks I progressed well and then I started to feel progressively more and more tired. Now, seven and a half months post op it really is very debilitating. I'm not anaemic. I've had all the tests you can imagine and apparently I'm as fit as a flea. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hugh, I hate to mention it but you're 15 years older. We justdont bounce back quite as fast. If your iron is o.k and you are taking a multi bit daily already You might add B 12.
    • Posted

Hi Oldfatguy1, I know, but the op went brilliantly. For 15 years I couldn't remember which knee had been done. Then I had the other one replaced. Couldn't believe it would be so good, but it has been. I was quite literally climbing mountains in Austria 5 weeks after the operation. Then this fatigue kicked in. If I'm mentally engaged - solving a problem, giving an talk - I don't notice it, but anything else I have that feeling, in my head, as though I've just done a 48 hour stint.

However, I'm certainly going to try B12.

• Posted

As you may have seen, I've had to have my left opened 5 times and 3 different prothesis, alldifferent styles plus 6 additional surgeries on the same leg. I've had none of them be the same. Most of the people on here will tell you that no two surgeries afford the same results. Seems as not only are no two people the same neither are any two knees. In my 5 times of re habing the knee I've his I red with lots of people having both knees done and they agree. Same thing applied to people having bi lateral (both done at the same time). They heal differently. The body is a miraculous thing and as much as science knows there are many unanswered questions. Hope you get feeling better. In case I didnt mention it before, up your water intake substantially. A hydrated body heals much better than a hydrated one and a hydrated one certainly has more stamina and strength.
  • Posted

Change your diet slightly, not enough to make you gain weight, but to boost your glucose/sugar levels. Remember, even sub-conscously you are thinking about your knee; the fact that it hurts, that you can't get around as much as you can, the pain is till there, the list is endless. This in itself is tiring, your brain is not resting, it can also lead to depression (even so mildly that you don't realise), you don't have to be crying and sleeping all the time to be depressed, just the fact that you are tired, speak with your doctor, or alternatively go to a good health store and see what minerals (not necessarily vitamins) you could be taking 
    • Posted

I'll try your advice but whatever causes my fatigue it isn't pain. I don't have any. The op was brilliant and I was completely over it in no time.
    • Posted

The fact that you had the operation in the first places is enough to tire yout.  The anesthetic has to leave your body, plus the shock to your system of the operation.  Take mineral supplements, lots of green leafy veg, fish, shellfish etc. You will soon get your energy levels up to normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.