Fatigue and osteoarthritis ?

Posted , 39 users are following.

Can anyone contact me who have the same problems please? Fatigue seems to connect with inflammatory arthritis but I have not been diagnosed with it, only(!!!) osteo but, fatigue has a great part in my life and I would like to know if if anyone has the same symptoms

7 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How did you get oesteoarthritis, via ulcerated colitis or injury or ware and tear? I'm always tired, I can't do a lot as the pain drains me. Are you in a lot of pain? Are you on a lot of pain killers? 
  • Posted

Hi I agree with the comments made by Lindsay being in a lot of pain is very wearing and can make you very tired.  It is true that Fatigue is usually connected to R A but I have O A and get very tired too as the pain gets me down as I can't do as much as I would like.  You don't mention your age but have you had any blood tests recently to check for anaemia or thyroid problems etc as they can make you very tired.  Hope you feel better soon.  All the best to you.

• Posted

Hi

I have similar problems as yourself I have also been told that I have fibromyalgia.and the Fibro Fog that goes with it. I also have Bronchtisis and I have been informed that I have disfunctional Breathing. which flares up from time to time especially more when I am stressed out,or when I am tired. Other people, including members of my own immediate family are not very tolerant to the above and often say, do something to take your mind of your aches and pains! little do they understand that when you are in the situation of the above it is not as simple as taking a painkiller for a headache

• Posted

I also have an underactive thyroid which definitely causes fatigue and I think that constant pain can be exhausting too. Carrying out simplest of household tasks leaves me needing to sit down for a rest as I ache so much.
  • Posted

I have also had fatigue since having recently been diagnosed with osteo. I can only guess it is because I have not been able to be as active as I usually am and not being able to walk as often, very frustrating though, the less I do the worse I feel! Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Oh yes fatigue seems to go hand in hand with osteo.

as with any inflammatory disease... Rest, exercise and knowing UR limitation helps & daily coping techniques...

• Posted

Hi Jane am 43 and have oa it does make me tired, i think some of it is the medication with me thou and not being able to do much around the house and walking is terrible, go back to the doc and have tests . Hope you get some relief x
  • Edited

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis with an inflamatory element plus fibromyalgae. Four years ago I was taking large doses of Naproxen and paracetamol I felt tired and demotivated. However, by chance I met an enlightened physiotherapist who has changed my life, not I might add on the NHS. Now I only take the occasional paracetamol tablet. My mobility and balance have improved and I no longer feel constantly tired. Don't despair there is help out there you just have to find it. 
    • Edited

Hi, what is her name and where is she based? I'm sure we'd all like to know. All I've done is cry today from pain, I still have to work, I don't get sick pay, and everything takes so long waiting around for blood tests. Why is it the pain is a hundred times worse during your menstrual cycle! 
  • Posted

Hello jane71998....I have Osteoarthritis....it is so so painful, it is in my back, hips, knees, shoulders....oh ear, I sound like a hypacondiac!!  ( if you spell it like that?!)  I am tired ALL THE TIME too....I don't know if it's part of it, I guess it could be, pain wears you out and makes you very irritable into the bargain!!

Joking aside,  the pain is almost unbearable, I just keep going!  I have had it now for 35 years, it started when I was pregnant with my son, who is now 34!!  Apparently, he was pressing on my Sciatic nerve all the way through, the pain was so bad that I was sent to the top orthopaedic surgeon at the time, who advised me not to have any more babies because of it...  over the years, I have gained weight and now I have osteoarthritis...and painful it is too!    I don't take any medication, can't cope with side effects, my GP said he didn't blame me either!   But, I honestly don't know how much longer I can cope !!  I am in CONSTANT pain...it effects every area of my life, and all I say every time I move is " Ooh me back !  I must get on everyone's nerves?  I get on my own nerves....!!!    

Don't mean to go on, just thought I would add my moan about oseoarthritis!!

One day we may be able to help each other?!!

For now,

Best wises to you.

• Posted

Hi catsmother.  I've just posted elsewhere on these forums to try to get help in coping with arthritis without continually taking anti inflammatories which cause me terrible side effects, including but not only, stomach upsets and chronic headaches.  I'm sick to death of taking handfulls of pills just to be able to get out of bed or do the most basic of things.  A very helpful lady who has arthritis and an auto immune disease posted a reply giving advice about various foods known to have anti inflamm properties, so I'm going to research dietary methods.  Reducing weight does have an extraordinary effect on pain levels too as obviously it relieves the pressure on the joints but also reduces fat levels around internal organs which will help the body naturally fight pain.  As I've posted in replay to Jane, my GP told me to try swimming as its low impact and the water supports the body weight so no added pressure to joints.  Even if you're a non swimmer, just bobbing around in the shallow end getting exercise which we otherwise probably couldnt manage has given me fantastic help.  I go along at lunch time in between the schools sessions and meet a whole bunch of people with physical issues (ie elderly, disabled, overweight, etc) who all say the benefits are huge.  We all have a natter and a giggle too, I keep saying I probably exercise my jaw muscles more than the rest of my body smile  Worth a try.
    • Posted

Hello Loxie,

Many thanks for your reply,  this Osteoarthritis does seem to bug many of us doesn't it?   I am happy really that I now know it is the reason I am so tired all the time!

It is a relief I must say.

Happy to know someone with so much knowledge. biggrin

Unfortunately I cannot swim niether can I learn now because of my foot problems!  Long story! sad

But I will get on looking on the dietry side, 

I did love your comment about you probably exercise your jaw muscles more that the rest of your body!!  lol  It is a good job we're blessed with a sence of humour!

Again thanks for your help.

Take care and best wishes to you. x

• Posted

re SWIMMING. Even for non swimmers you can get exercise in the pool using a woggle (noodle). Make it into a U shape and sit astride whilst you do a cycling movement  or kick straight legs to and fro, or scissors. You do need to  be just deep enough for your feet not to touch the floor. You can hold the woggle up in front of you or just use your arms to pull yourself around.Some pools will lend you a woffle or you can buy for very little. I have recently had a hip replacement and find this helpful although I am a swimmer and like to do back stroke. As I cannot kick legs vigorously yet I hold float between my knees and just do backstorke arms.
    • Posted

You do not have to know how to swim to benefit from water exercise.  I cannot swim and hate getting my face wet LOL.  I take water exercise classes at the local rec center and they have definitely helped the arthritis in my knees, etc.  It feels so good to be able to move in the water without pain.  One of the classes is simply walking different ways in the pool.  I don't know if your foot problems would interfere with that or not.

• Posted

Hi Jane, just picked up on your post whilst trying to find help for my osteo arthritis issues.  I have arthritis in a couple of areas, one location due to a major accident that destroyed all the cartilege in the joint.  I've been told on follow up surgical visits that I have arthritis both in that joint and now elsewhere.  Chronic fatigue is definitely a symptom of arthritis in all its forms.  I couldn't understand why I was waking up tired, being tired all day and falling into bed at night utterly exhausted, even on days when I hadn't over exerted myself.  My GP advised me that it's connected to the arthritis but didnt say whether it was specifically related to any given form, just that arthritis by its very nature is an auto immune issue and thus causes fatigue.  He recommended non impact exercise (eg swimming) as this increases cardio vascular fitness and increases the benefits to the body's immune system.  I only manage to get to the local pool two to three times a week but although it's very tiring just after swimming, the following day I am much more alert and awake and a lot less tired.  He also said to make sure my diet included foods providing plenty of B vitamins, as they increase stamina but he very specifically said this should come from food and not to take supplements.  He advised me to reduce my caffeine intake too as this gives a short lived boost but then followed by a significant 'slump' in energy which can make you feel worse.  Unfortunately for those of us suffering from arthritis, fatigue will be a continual problem but I've followed my GP's advice and I really do feel a lot better if I stick to it.  The pain from arthritis is also a very large contributing factor, when mine flares up it's really exhausting coping with continual pain but the above advice helps with that too.  Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.