Fatty Liver

Posted , 7 users are following.

My scan showed up with fatty liver but my doctor didn't seem too worried.  All my Liver function tests have come back normal and my liver is normal size (not enlarged).  I am obese and now on a mission to lose weight.  Do i need to be worried about this or will it go away once i've lost weight?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Google "can fatty liver be cured" and the top result should be an article on this site regarding NAFLD (non alcoholic fatty liver disease). It doesn't usually cause problems but can do if you leave it.

did they talk to you about diet? I know you refer to being obese, but it's not always things like chocolate & crisps that do the damage. More commonly can be burgers, fried foods (chicken etc.). Have a read as a start point. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Eliminate sugars and starches (ie potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, cakes, biscuits, fruit juices - google and you will find more).  People in my support group have fixed their fatty liver problem by doing this, and found their waist again.

Good fats are ok, and essential, like extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil.  You can only cook with coconut oil, put others on your veges and salads.

• Posted

Yes, I have already started cutting down on sugars and starches.  I am very worried about my liver now as my ultrasound scan has showed up as a fatty liver and a cyst in my liver so i am taking extra care of what i eat and drink.  I never thought i would ever have problems with my liver (I am also Type 2 diabetic on Metformin).   Is fatty liver classed as liver disease?
  • Posted

I drink a glass of lemon juice every day and also once a fortnight a glass of diluted milk thistle which are both good liver detoxes, if i eat things with too much fat in then my stomach tends to swell a little bit and i get some discomfort in my side. So i try to eat very healthy, to stop this happening .
    • Posted

hello wendy, when you say you drink a glass of lemon juice, do you mean water with the juice of a lemon?  also i have heard milk thistle is good for the liver and will discuss this with my doctor when i next see her.  I don't really want to take any supplements every day if i can help it (I already take a lot of medication as it is) but i think a glass of diluted milk thistle every fortnight might not do me any harm.  Where do you buy the milk thistle from?  health food shop?
    • Posted

hi carina, i cut two lemons up and put them in a jug of cold water ,and leave them to soak over night ,, i also put two sweeteners in with the lemons, otherwise its a bit of a bitter taste, You can get Milkthistle from any health shop, i buy the efferescent ones from Holland and Barrett,  
    • Posted

Can I ask?  why do you not take milk thistle every day?  do you think there is no need to do that?  i like the idea of taking it once a fortnight like you do but have you noticed any difference other than that milk thistle is good for the liver?  I need to look after my liver as i have a fatty liver and also a cyst in my liver which is being monitored.  Thanks
    • Posted

Please check with your doc about milk thistle.  I keep reading that it is not good if your liver is damaged in some way.  Best to be safe.
    • Posted

I tried half of a lemon squeezed into a cup with hot water and every time I drank it, my skin became very itchy. It freaked me out. 
  • Posted

hello All, thanks for your replies.  I am now being conscious of everything i eat and drink.  At work i tend to have a mug of green tea each day and a pint of water.  I am trying to eat much more healthier.  I have lost 10lbs in weight so far but have a long way to go yet.
  • Posted

Was wondering,  is it possible that i have had a fatty liver for some time (ie years)?  as this was only picked up (along with a liver cyst) from an ultrasound scan i had a couple of weeks ago.  If this is the case, i wonder if it has caused damage to my liver.  I think we should all have scans every year to detect any potential problems but that is something out of the question that the NHS would do as it would cost a fortune - privately is the only way to keep a check on your own health which is scary.
    • Posted

How are you doing? I was dignosed a year ago and it has seemed to have only gotten worse due to my weight. I have gained weight instead of losing it sad I'm trying pretty hard but I never have energy. 
  • Posted

Am on a mission to try and reverse my fatty liver.  I was thinking of buying some organic milk thistle tea which i'm not intending to have every day but maybe once a week, will this be OK or shall i check with my GP first?  thanks
  • Posted

I have non alcoholic fatty liver disease and I can remember which way around the inflammation and scaring scores were but one of them was 2 out of 4 and the other was 6 out of 8 for me I was told the liver is the only organ that can repair itself but I was told within 2 years I would have to have a transplant if nothing improved he said that weigh loss would be a massive help! And liver can get back to normal! Hope this helps xx
  • Posted

I am so desperate to lose weight to help with my fatty liver.  I am going to see my GP next week as i have not been feeling too well and i have a discomfort under my right rib and not sure if it relates to my fatty liver.  I'm also Type 2 diabetic and take quite a lot of medication, am wondering if all this medication can harm the liver (I have heard it can do).  Am so scared that my liver will become damaged in time (i also have a liver cyst).  I know losing weight will help my diabetes and fatty liver enormously and wish i could fast forward and lose the weight that i need to lose (quite a few stones) but i do know that losing weight too quickly is not good either for fatty liver :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.