Fatty liver advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, I would like some advice from folks suffering from a fatty liver, I was diagnosed last year and find more and more that I have episodes of generally feeling unwell, dodgy tummy, pain in upper right side. Mr GP is sending me for an ultra sound scan - thinks I may have gallstones but always brushes off the fatty liver issue. Any help or advice would be greatfully received.  I can't eat eggs anymore as I end up in big trouble, does anyone else have this also? Many thanks.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

There is alcoholic fatty liver and non alcoholic fatty liver. Obviously the answer to the first is simple.

The answer to the second, is usually cutting out takeaways, fast food, ready meals in a box/microwave.

The ultrasound will scan all your internal organs, not just your gallbladder. Immediately when the radiologist has finished, ask the doctor (they are doctors, not machine operators) about your liver. And ask what they have found. Say you know you will speak to your GP, but could they just give some comments.

• Posted

Most with fatty liver disease are often insulin resistant. The body makes insulin, but it doesn't work well. Glucose builds up in the blood, and the liver turns that extra sugar into fat. Certain fats in your diet can improve your sensitivity to, or ability to use, insulin.

check with your doctor for a special,food diet essential,for flatly liver disease.

• Posted

Joanna, Please do some research online if you haven't already.  I do not have a fatty liver but am having other problems and there is a big difference in doctors.  I believe I read that a fatty liver increases your chances of liver cancer so you need to be sure they do a thorough exam. An ultra sound  right quadrant will show your liver and gall bladder but mine does not show my tumore because of its location.   You will usually not have symptoms until it is advanced however I have 1 smal tumor on my liver that was found through a CT scan , an MRI and a Petscan.  There is a question about metastic cancer and unfortunately is not accessible for a Ct or ultrasound guided biopsy because if is location on the dome of my liver, under my ribs so the only way to get the biopsy is surgery.  I was fortunate that it was even found it such an early stage.  I mainly had indigestion and just a mild ache in my side.

I wish you the best but please ask questions if u r not happy with what they are telling u.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.