Fear of Failed urethroplasty

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone smile

So i have recently had a urethroplasty+BMG on 18th of October, I had a rough run with several infections and the site sutures being opened up.

Urinating for me is still a mjaor issue, the spraying worse than before and I can barely sit down on the toielet now without making a mess. Im wondering whether it is a failed urethroplasty or due to site being more open than usual

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Alex59714,

I'' not a Dr. or qualified medical representative, my opinion is provided to the forum from the perspective of a urethroplasty patient.

I had my urethroplasty with BMG October 10, 2016. I had both catheters left in for 5 weeks until November 16, 2016. Immediately following surgery the majority of my oral stitches tore open while eating. At the 3 week post surgery time, I was concerned that my incision may not be healing correctly and scheduled an appointment for the doctor to evaluate; he looked and reassured me I was "on-track". I had 2 SP caths fail due to calcium build-up, 1 before 10 days before surgery and one 3 weeks after surgery; I contacted the doctor and had him replace the SP catheter both times. It was no problem in the end. Having both catheters in-place for 5 weeks was very unfortable because of the irritation of the tubing.

Following the removal of the catheters every time I urinated, my bladder hurt. I suspect because I voided so quickly my bladder spasmed. That pain stopped after about a week. In the end the was nothing.

My point to all of that story was that if you are concerned about something medically that you are not sure of, contact your doctor and have them evaluated. Even if the issue is minor in nature. Please don't forget the doctor works for you.

• Posted

To add; your urologist can easily complete a "pressure and flow" test with contrast dye to identify the answer to your answer.

• Posted

I had my BGM urethroplasty in April, if the surgery failed , the doctor would not have removed catheter at follow up after seeing the urethrogram results. I had a lot of strange symptoms following catheter removal and all ended up being nothing . Call your doctor and relax a littlle. I had a cystoscopey at three months with uroflow , both showed great results. I'm sure yours will too !

Good luck Alex !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.