Fear of flashbacks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Please help. I'm so tired of being frightened. I'm very new to PTSD and seem to spend all my time either having a flashback, or fearing having one. Most of my time is spent fearing a flashback, I suppose that's part of hypervigilence....

please, someone tell me it does get better!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I hope you are okay. I have just had this conversation with my doctor this evening. She suggest hypnotherapy after I suggested acupuncture. I have tried CBT and counselling for over 5 years and after a good few months it's hit me again with flashbacks and nightmares, night sweats and constant emotions. Hypnotherapy isn't through the NHS only private but she said that it is reasonably priced and just a one off session may be needed. Maybe look into that and see if that is something to consider. I haven't personally tried it myself but my doctor normally gives some good advice. Hopefully that will help x
  • Posted

HEY, this may or may not help. But i know how you feel and it certainly will get better. These things take time and we most control them not allow are thoughts control us. 

Sometimes also facing are fears is the start of dealing with them. If u dont deal with the issues they will always present a problem in your life. 

Have you tried talking to a professional about how u feel?

CBT can be very useful in times like these as it will teach you to control your fears.

Just rememeber we all have good days and we all have bad days..... Its not your fault its just your body dealing with distress.

Hope you are ok. Keep fighting.

• Posted

Hello

Sorry to hear you are having flashbacks. They are horrible. Takes a bit of practice but if you can imagine the images being projected onto a screen and then pretend you have a remote control which allows you to alter the image by shrinking it, changing it or turning the volume down for auditory ones this can help. It is often the case that if you can catch them before they catch you and shrink to the size of a pin head then the associated emotions will often diminish or disappear. It takes time to get used to identifying you are experiencing it but also trying to practice this technique.

Scent I find is also amazingly grounding. Maybe keep a small bottle of an essential oil with you that is comforting and not a triggering smell and you can get it out and sniff out the bottle or put a few drops on a tissue when you feel a flashback coming on.

Hang in there. It does get better...

• Posted

Talk to your GP, in my case they talked out my problem and desensitised me to my ptsd CBT does work as do relaxation techniques. One of the main problems we can have is undertand and come to terms with those fears. In my case I did not see the the extensive damage my accident caused, I had wished to visit the site and look at the car, that was denied to me, I wonder if this action would have helped in my recovery
  • Posted

I can only speak for myself and of my experiences; but, yes, it gets better over time.  And, in my case, over time the experience itself as well as the recovery time afterward become much shorter.
  • Posted

Hi Jenny,

When I was new to ptsd and had flashbacks 24/7 U thought I'd never get free from them. Two years on I don't get them anymore because I refuse to let the behaviour of others dictate my life.

We all have different stories of PTSD so yours may be completely different to mine. But that's how I coped, by valuing myself.

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I can completely and totally understand where you're coming from as I am just at the start of having counselling for ptsd due to assault and rape I was subjected to years ago.  I can recommend some advice my counsellor gave to me for a self help website which will help to walk you through any trauma you are going through with tips and advice.  It's the best thing I've ever seen - it's called: [url=http://www.get.gg/flashbacks.htm]http://[url=http://www.get]www.get.gg/flashbacks.htm I hope this helps you and anyone out there who's been subjected to this, good luck, it's very frightening but worth doing to help yourself when no-one understands what you're going through!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.