Fear of lying flat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

So I went with my kids for a routine dental appointment. My kids went first and all was grand then it was my turn... I wasn't aware that I was panicking inside until the dentist asked me to sit in the chair. I totally froze and said no... I am to embarrassed to admit but I started to cry and through sobs told her that I couldn't as I was having inner ear trouble and can't ly flat... she was wonderful and said not to worry and to come back when I was feeling better...

I guess I just wanted to ask if anyone has this issue or am I alone with this?

I just know that when I tilt my head back even to look up or wash my hair in the shower I feel really dizzy. I can't ly flat as I would be so dizzy I would vomit then I'd be unable to function for about 4-6 hrs. I found this out as my 9 yr old son wanted me to be a casualty so he could do heart start and then roll me into the recovery position. Total nightmare... never again! I also sleep propped up with three fat pillows so it's definitely a no no for lying flat...

how can I visit the dentist? I feel so lost. S.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel.  I, too, am unable to lie flat without feeling dizzy.  Whenever I am at a doctor's office or any medical appointment, I always ask for a pillow and explain that I have MD and can't lie flat.  As for the dentist, I have worked out with both the dentist and the dental technician who cleans my teeth that she does not lower the chair to the usual spot.  They know I can't tolerate it.  They lower the chair slightly and bend (standing rather than sitting as they usually do) as necessary to reach me.  This helps a lot.  I encourage you to ask for what you need.  Especially medical people tend to be understanding and will do what they can to make your comfortable.

• Posted

Oh I am so glad I am not alone in this. Thanks so much for the helpful info. I wasn't even aware that going to the dentist would be an issue until I saw how far the chair reclines... scary buns! I was too beside myself to think logically and ask if another position would be possible, but will do so in future.

I will make another appointment and do as you said. Plus I will make sure I have a lift home incase I am not well enough to drive.

Thanks you again. S.

• Posted

I'm so glad I was able to be of help.  I am so appreciative of all the support we can give one another on this site.  I wish you well on your next dental visit.  I'd like to hear how it goes if you wish to let me know.  One other tip I've learned:  if I'm feeling queasy I stare at something intensely and that seems to work.

Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Yes, I found that focusing on something does help a lot also. I will let you know how next appointment goes, I am going to wait a couple of weeks though so as not to freak myself out again. Thanks again, S.
  • Posted

You should go see an ENT. It could be anything from an ear infection to bppv. 
    • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I have had my ears checked and they are healthy. I did mention BPPV to my doctor as I thought I had similar symptoms for that. He said he didn't think it was bppv as my symptoms sounded more like Ménière's especially as I have tinnitus and attacks that are severe and random. I have my first ent appointment on the 13 so I might know a bit more then. Like everyone else I am just trying in the meantime to find a way to plod on each day.

Thanks. S.

• Posted

What you are describing is classic BPPV, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. This dizziness you describe doesn't hurt probably last 15 seconds but scares the hell out of you. Been to the dentist today wasn't even lying totally flat, in fact almost upright and bang in less than a minute everything thing was spinning with severe sweating and nausea. Some versions of BPPV can be treated using the Eppley manoeuvre which you can do yourself (look on YouTube) some GP's might even do it for you. Unfortunately it does not help the underlying cause of my BPPV. On the whole I've kept Mr Vertigo away, but the dentist visit is going to be a problem for me in the future.

• Posted

Hi,

The dentist visit scared the wits out of me. However the second visit was fantastic as the dentist was amazing and allowed me to keep the seat quite upright which helped a lot. This was just a checkup but I don't know how it would work it you had to have any dental work done.

I wish you well.

S.

• Posted

I went to the dentist today & I need a root canal. Its impossible for me to lie flat for 2 hours so I'm going to have to have the tooth extracted. Its so annoying as im now going to have a visible gap that will be there when i smile. I just hope he can do the extraction without making the chair too flat. I am so scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.