Fears and Phobias!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone smile so i cant seem to find a phobias discussion or a forum specifically for fears and phobias, so just thought i'd start a new discussion smile

You may have seen me floating around on here on different forums, thats because im abit of a hypochondriac and latley i have noticed i'm gaining more phobias than i used to have.

Sine being really young, i've always had a phobia of spiders. Not just your typical scared and scream, i literally go dizzy and start feeling faint. Im not sure why i am afraid of them but even the smallest of spiders makes my shiver. A spider fell on me when i was aobut 8 years old and i can remember it had an impact on me for days.

I have another phobia of lifts (claustrophobia). Especially the carpark ones with no winows and stiff doors. I would rather walk up 20 flights of stairs than get in one of those. Again not sure where that comes from.

Another phobia is of puppets mainly large puppets. Preferably the ones what are on children's TV shows. The one i remember that used to scare me to death was Otis the aardvark what used to be on cbbc. Still now it makes me feel sick and go light headed (weird i know).

Okay and this is where it gets ridiculous! About 4 or 5 years ago i developed a fear of accordions and bagpipes. The sound of a bagpipe makes me shiver. I was on holiday and i woman came round the tables at the restaurant playing the according and i literally had to walk away. I hae absolutley no idea where this comes from at all!

So yeah, i think im needing some form of help haha as i seem to be developing a fear of almost anything! Any ideas what i can do? Does anybody else have crazy uncommon phobias? Hope i'm not the only one. Thank you for reading.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I know my brother had a fear of clowns,and I used to fear dogs barking and of spiders myself.it got to the point I ended up being the only one having to deal with spiders,especially when I lived on my own.after a period of time and having to get rid of them,it got easier to deal with them.the dogs bbarking,i got desensitised to them to,I got bitten by a dog as a kid so that's why I used to fear them.it's got to the point of letting them run up to me and everything as that was part of the fear too.if they run up barking at me,i stop and wait to make sure of what they're about to do.I think of you find a way to get used to the phobias that it will become easier to deal with and realise theres nothing to fear from it.
    • Posted

That sounds terrible! See i don't think i would ever be able to conquer the fear of spiders but i do think i would be able to conquer the other fears! Im glad you're dealing with it ok
  • Posted

This a question I have had also. Since my last breakdown 14 years ago, the phobias have mounted. I have asked my therapist if phobias left untreated could actually turn into paranoia. As I feel I am paranoid, not just scared. I am back in therapy. Her office is up stairs. She has to come down and meet me outside. But each visit, she makes me see how many of those darn stairs I can climb. I think it is not the stairs themselves, as I can climb stairs easier outside. I think it is the hight and closed in feeling. So anyway, the therapists answer is to face each one gradually, at YOUR pace. But do it with a therapist or a safe person.
    • Posted

I'm glad you are getting there! Yeah i think i will have to speak to a therapist or something as i also have abit of anxiety as well as these damn phobias! Thanks for replying!
  • Posted

I have a severe phobia of vomit. it's taken over my whole life & has stopped me from doing so many things & is the cause of all my panic attacks. whether it's fear i'm going to be sick, feeling sick, others being sick.. i just constantly worry about it. nothing seems to have helped me overcome it! i find it very hard to talk about it but i don't see how i'm ever going to overcome it if i don't. does anyone else suffer with a fear of vommiting?
    • Posted

I know the feeling! I think the best way to get over something thats mentally hurting you is by seeing a therapist as mentioned in a previous comment! You get to a point where you don't think anything will work! I hope you get help soon & thanks for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.