Fed up!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst back in March. At that time it was 8cm. Following an MRI in June I was advised it had grown to 10cm and needed to be removed. I was told the wait was around 2 months and so I consented to a laporoscopy, laparotomy and a hysteroscopy (for polyp). Since speaking to booking team was told op wouldn't be 2 months (sept) instead I was looking at end October/beginning Nov. Spoke to booking office again today to now be told I'm looking at end of year.

I have been pre opped and am on standby for a cancellation but have been told it's unlikely. There are people ahead of me who haven't been on the list yet who consented back in Feb.

My problem lies in that I'm self employed doing a physical job and am now stuck in no mans land unable to take on work/reach my earning potential and am getting really stressed.

Spoke to consultants secretary this afternoon and have requested another scan to see if cyst has grown again and also to have a chat to consultant re the risks if I don't have the surgery.

So basically just looking for somewhere to vent! And get some moral support and other people's stories.

I have mild discomfort, bowl issues, am bloated, long and heavy periods, some pelvic pain etc but I work with horses and also compete them so the 3 month recovery plus this waiting for a date is really affecting me work wise.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI ZD79, I would just get on the list to get removed. I had a cyst for months and ignored the symptoms, bloating nausea etc, no idea how big it was but it ruptured, I am now 6 weeks from the rupture and still in a horrible mess. Especially as you ride horses, any pressure on a cyst the size you have can rupture and you really don't want that!! I had 2 ovarian cysts removed in 2013, recovery time was about a month, but believe me, the operation was a lot easier to get over than this one that has ruptured. Wishing you all the best x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know the location of your cyst? Mine is in the pouch of Douglas so I don't know if that makes any difference?

• Posted

Don't know the exact position but it is on my left ovary, its like a deflated balloon now and hemorraging, loads of fluid in pelvis/abodomen, never felt so bad in all my life.

• Posted

It's possible you've developed an infection from this rupture. I hope you can get treatment soon!

• Posted

Where you based if I may ask??

I'm in Leicester UK, got a 26cm cyst on my one remaining ovary (30yrs old) been sneakily advised that to get anywhere on a date for removal to call bookings weekly

I can't work effevticly here either,

I don't know how to help except to ease pain I'm on 2 paracetamol n one ibufen, hot compress helps when on lower back n eases it over time

Hope u get the right help soon x

• Posted

One of my cysts is in the pouch of douglas too.... I have several, my biggest was measured at 17-20cm three months ago. I am in London UK. I too have had trouble working, I am diabetic too so it has been hell trying to keep my blood sugars under control whilst having manic hormones. Sometimes I have been throwing up all night (cant eat due to pressure of cysts, cant take a breath in properly). Experienced so much pain around my ovaries/kidneys, especially during ovulation. Some months it was a blessing that the cysts didn't allow me a cycle at all. We have been waiting almost 2 and a half years now...and I have my surgery date for Monday at last!!

Call the hospital, make sure you are on the waiting list and the "cancellation" list and manage as well as you can till then. I am having open surgery due to the size of my cysts, I am hoping to go to work a week after as work is causing a problem with time needed off, but I don't have to ride horses.

Good luck with getting surgery as soon as possible. Be thinking of you! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.