Fed up of swelling and pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Diagnosed with DVT 4 weeks ago, prescribed Rivaroxaban, I'm now on 20mg once a day. Absolutely fed up of the constant painful swelling in my lego. I was told by Sunderland Royal Hospital that I had to aquire compression stockings from the appliances dept, some nearly 4 weeks later I've managed to get them today, they are allegedly the largest size they do and I've had to wait 3 weeks for them to come into stock!! Got home, tried to put them on, far too tight on thigh and just rapidly roll down leg within 8 seconds of standing up. I've looked on Internet to see what I could do to keep them up......only answer appears to be a garter belt. I work 50 hours a week as an assistant manager in a busy pub, I do not want to wear a garter belt under my work trousers, anyone got any suggestions cos I'm all for them taking my leg off because I can't cope with the swelling or pain and laying awake crying every night.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie

Sorry to hear the situation you are in.

I was diagnosed with DVT 5 weeks ago, and I am on Wharfarin and wear a compression stocking.

My stocking supplied immediately by my GP with prescription from DVT clinic at local Hospital. GP Practice nurse told me that if stocking didn't suit, I could get some made to measure through NHS. As it happened the original supply is ok.To help with laundering rotation, they have now supplied me with 4 stockings.

I live in Wales, our systems seem a little different.

Hope you get more assistance.

• Posted

hi katie sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I double what supercargo said I got my stockings form my GP but it wasn't easy, the hospital didn't have a clue about them and I had to mither the Docs (he has to ring two seperate nurses to find out which ones I needed), took me about 3 weeks after to get mine so seems like a common struggle to get stocking after. Mine come to just below the knee but think it depends where your blood clot is and to where you need to wear your stockings. I agree the swelling is awful, the pain was exruciating and it took many many weeks for them both to get better.I cried a lot too. I did loads of walking but kept my legs elevated with a wedge cushion in between. I had 2 clots in June this year and still suffer now. This does not sound like it will be as easy for yo working 50 hours a week- would you be able to talk to your employers about lless hours or more breaks? time off any holidays you have left to take, I know none of that might be realistic just some ideas. Do hope things get easier for you ...rebecca 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you have jined the DVT club.  It is usually a completely life changing experience.  Have you looked up Thrombosis UK, a charity ampaigning for better awareness of clot issues, there are many!  The Appliances department at y local hospital measuered me up for stockings and they fit well.  I had to go back and have them put on to check, they then wait a couple of weeks to make sure all OK before they order you a second pair.
  • Posted

How are you getting on?

Is the swelling any better? Have you had any tests to see how the DVT is clearing?

Let us know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.