Feeding a baby with fallots

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am interested to hear from anyone who has had difficulties feeding their baby. Our daughter was feeding really well for the first 8/9 weeks and then all of a sudden is not feeding very well during the day time (although not so much of a problem during the night). I am breastfeeding her and suspect that she is tiring easily. We will speak to the cardiologist about this at our next visit but was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar problems? Might bottle feeding be less tiring for her? Any hints or tips to make sure she is getting enough food and putting on weight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi There, Im sorry to hear your baby is tiring easily whilst feeding. I had this problem too, but didn't realise why as my son wasn't diagnosed until he was 6 months old.

The best thing you can do is feed little and often until you see your cardiologist - it could be that baby needs a little help with medicin.

I hope you are getting along ok by now - Its not easy to watch your baby going through this and it will be hard on you when it comes to hospital time - but it gets better and better. Ben is almost 3 now and he's a little riot! They are so strong - we have no idea xxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Rachael

My Grandson ( see the nightmare of fallots) was the same. although he was bottle fed. He would very often drink 2 or 3 bottles through the night. Although he was half asleep and it is against all of the rules - we found it was the only way of getting the milk he obviously needed.

We used to prop the bottle for him to drink with a rolled up cover underneath it to support the bottle. As I say it is not ideal and I used to worry about it - but the hospital staff were never concerned about what we did. Perhaps a botle just at night times may give you the rest you need yourself. Apart from that we found that he would not have a dummy. I don't know if this helps but as a grandma who had him some weekends I did not get much sleep. I was too busy watching to see if he was ok.

God bless you and your baby.

• Posted

Hello there sorry to hear about your baby having difficulties.

My daughter was born with Tetralogy of Fallots, and though she didnt feed as other babies did she would make up the amounts through the day that she should have. She slept for 18 hours out of 24 but she would take the feeds she was meant to in the short periods of time that she was awake.

She had her first surgery at 8 months and her second at three years.

She has just had her third procedure on 14th June this year and is doing amazingly well.

She will be 17 in November so hang on in there it isnt all doom and gloom and they are very very resilient, more so than we are.

Hope this helps a little to show you that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thinking of you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.