Feel tired

Posted , 6 users are following.

dont feel like doing exercises are these crucial to recovery.  Am walking on crutches well and it feels ok

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes they are for the recovery of the layers of cut muscles.. The penguin walk awaits
  • Posted

You're saying what I'm thinking... I'm just looking at my stretch band and then avoiding it for something more important, like this. Plus, I've been doing it all day. Then, I have to decide to lie or not when I go back in for PT tomorrow afternoon. I don't think a lie ever gets you anywhere, but if there was a way to stretch the truth! I've actually had my surgeons PA tell me that it's like throwing your money away when you go to PT, he said after a year, people who did and people who didn't do PT, look exactly the same. Every other place I've seen, says it's essential. OK. Now lets both go do our exercises... 
    • Posted

Thank you for that I will get on and do them today
  • Posted

Hi Sue

Greetings

Exercises and rest are both mportant to healing and recovery. I'm coming up to a year post op now, and without  a good degree of pre op fitness  and post  exercises I woundn't be as thanking godde, nature and the surgeon + nursing team for gorgeous pain free frollicking me today. 

Exeter do not offer any post op PT...simply  a good exercise book  I used extensively --  but with some rest days too sure

Good luck

Mic

x

• Posted

Yes u should do the exercises albeit gently at first and gradually build up your exercise regime. But if u want a penguin walk then don't.

You ll enjoy the rest periods even better after you have exercised.

• Posted

I finally did my 2 sets out of 3 today. I rolled a yoga mat out on the floor, did my first set and then thought. "How the heck am I going to stand up?" That was fine but my leg was going in every direction trying to find a proper method. I'm used to the bed or the table at the gym. I do really good on most of them and these are the Easy Peasy ones. Like, bend your knee, lay it down, bend your knee, lay it down... Now, I'm using a band and some tension. There is one exercise I just can NOT due. The clam shell. Laying on your side with your knees bent, feet together, and raise the bad leg up. It's like I had a stroke. That muscle doesn't want to work at all... and I've even taken a Percocet before my PT sessions, and it doesn't phase the pain. My therapist, knowing I'm frustrated, said to just keep "trying" even if nothing happens, keep trying to lift that leg. That muscle must have taken some brutal handling...Don't be happy to walk with crutches, look forward to a cane, then no device. I know the sound of that is scary, it is to me as well. So afraid to fall. I just am not going to let this hip surgery ruin my every day. Small baby steps. Inside/under that innocuous incision they have torn you up. YES, you need to have the PT. Another post. A man had his done robotically at the Mayo Clinic. He was told he needed no PT, none whatsoever. I want to research what this method is. 
    • Posted

Hi

that sounds about as much as I can do right now.  I can't geton the floor at all I do the floor exercises on the bed.  The rubber band one sounds good I will try that.  I'm now 11 days after op and it is getting better but I have lost my confidence.  Weather so bad in UK can't get out to walk anywhere so just doing circuits round the house

• Posted

My internet went out one day. The people asked me to "reset" my box. The box is on the bottom shelf below my TV. I made it down, did the power down, power up stuff. Plugged everything back in and.... I thought "I can't stand up" "I can't stand up" The technician was waiting for me to come back to the phone. I was going "AAAhhh, oohhooohhh, help me, oh sh*t..." That went on for what seems forever, but maybe a minute. I got on my back and scooted on my butt over to where the phone was. I acted like everything was perfectly normal. I think I'm afraid my leg bone is going to "POP" loose and just that thought is horrible. Anyway, it was funny. I wrote an article and just posted it. I was thinking about how important our thigh muscles are and well... it's in the forum
  • Posted

My swanky home gym.. 
    • Posted

Hi I'm still finding my exercises hard after 14 days post op.  I can't lift my leg off bed and also bending knee is hard.  The others ok standing.   Any ideas I'm getting worried also the swelling us still there.  My knee blends in with my thigh!!
    • Posted

I remember lifting the leg, andbending were so difficult in the start. The exercises are hard - they seem designed to 'push' you just a bit.

I think that 'slowly, slowly, makeee better' is the way.  Don't push through pain, every physio I have met says you should stop if it is painful.

I know my knee looked awful when it was swolen - much as you describe, but reduced in the first few weeks.  Two weeks is still very early days.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Thank you once again you are a lifeline.  Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions but one does worry in the early hours of the morning!
  • Posted

You need a balance of exercise and rest.

You don't need to do it all in one go, space the exercises through the day, repeat the ones you find hardest, they are likely to be the ones you need most.

Good quality rest is also important, get a cup of tea/coffee/whatever you like, put on some music or a film, get comfy, cuddle the cat, stroke the dog, rest.

Graham

• Posted

Sue,

No problem, bombard away, that's what we are all so good at here, hopefully answering some of our queries.  I learn so much on here every day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.