feeling a bit low

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have now had tinnitus for 9 months. I have had mri and ct which confirmed that there is nothing else untoward which is obviously good. I am struggling to cope with this. During the day it's not too bad because i am busy, but when trying to relax and watch TV it seems to compete. At night i now have to use a pillow speaker which does help. My real worry is how it will affect me as i get older and become less active. I have been referred for counselling but find the idea a bit distressing as i am usually the listener. Does anyone else feel the same and how do you cope.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi suki,

its one of these problems when you think or talk about

seems to trigger it off, if this sounds familiar then  consentrating

hard on another subject can block it out, but can take a long

time to achieve this, but worth perservering

till that happens earphones playing music takes your mind

of tinnitus, and will after time get this down to acceptable levels,

I used to work with aluminium, and the horrendous noise

made when cutting on a saw triggered it off, so used

wear ear plugs in any noisy enviroment

don't think/talk about it !  good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. Can i ask how old you are and how long you have had tinnitus. You are right about concentrating on something else but find it all quite exhausting, perhaps its too early for me as i am still feeling very sorry for myself which is not like me. I tell myself that there are far worse things to suffer with but was told that doesn't actually help.
  • Posted

I have tinnitus too. Month 3 now. I am 24 years old. Very upsetting and frustarting. If you don't focus or think about it as much, it isn't as noticeable. Keep yourself busy. TV and music helps. sad Did you see an ENT? Have you had a nose scope? Any other symptoms you have? I hope I get better soon and the same goes for you. Stay positive. If it really bothers you, go to a tinnitus clinic or see an audiologist. They can help you.
  • Posted

Hi suki

i had terrible noise in right ear many years ago after a virus. Had to sleep with music on. Very nerve-wrecking condition. Couldn't stand it. I went to this man who prayed for the sick and it went immediately. 

I remember my husband taking me for a drive in car next day. We stopped in the countryside, turned the engine off and I couldn't believe how quiet and peaceful it was. This was my experience thank goodness!

• Posted

Counselling helped me enormously, mainly because I got a chance to talk and understand what bothered me the most about having tinnitus. It is also good to talk to someone who understands how distressing it is. Give it a go, what have you got to lose.

after 1 year my tinnitus is a lot more manageable. Good luck and try not to let it get the better of you.. X

• Posted

Thanks irene. I am waiting to have CBT hoping that it will help in learning to cope with it.
  • Posted

I have always had trouble falling asleep, so my tinnitus doesn't help, but doesn't make that worse. My mother has had a terrible time with tinnitus for over a decade now and mine grew worse starting a year ago...so I thought it was the start of progressively worse tinnitus.

However, I was subsequently diagnosed with PA/low B12. One of the first symptoms to improve on B12 injections was the ever-louder ringing in my ears!  I couldn't believe it...it's still there and it comes and goes, but back to the "normal for me" level it was before.  I had several types of nerve damage and most are back to normal (or normal for me) with B12 supplements. 

I cope with classical music during in the background. I have a different "sound" to my tinnitus, so you may find what works for you by experimenting. Be careful not to listen to anything too loudly or you could further hurt your hearing and nerves...but I'm sure the audiologist told you that, too.

As others have said, therapy - maybe there's a support group near you? - will help you with this as you age and settle down. I wish you well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.