feeling at a loss!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I've been with hypothyroidism for 12 years and i have very dry skin, can't shift my weight I gain and I'm tired all the time, my doctors says I'm on the right prescription... but at 38 I should be awake, and enjoying life but I'm too tired and have no self esteem... my memory is shocking. Short term is horrendous....Any recommendations to help improve my life cause I'm at a loss.?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  I know exactly how you feel, i am the same, such a difficult illness to try and manage as the doctors are no help.  I did find out my ferritin levels were extremely low only 9, so have been taking medication now to try and bring them up, have been told they should be over 70 to feel any better, and apparantely you have very similar symptoms with low ferritin and thryoid, could be worth checking out if you haven't already.  Its a slow process though as mine are still under 40 and i have been taking the medication for nearly a year.  I am unable to lose any weight either, and I eat healthy, exercise but it just wont shift and am constantly bloated, my stomach is awful.  The brain fog is dreadful as well, dont really know how we can improve that.  I know everyone says you need to look at alot of other levels, B12 etc, but its very difficult to get any results for them without taking things into your own hands and get tested privately.  I also find it very difficult to understand what everyone says you should do to help yourself on the forums, think my brain just doesnt function like it used to.  Sorry i am not much help, just wanted to know you are not alone, there are alot of extremely helpful people on here though so i am sure someone will post some help tips for you.

• Posted

Try eating protein based foods like eggs nut and organic chicken!

Don't eat 

Cabbage 

Broccoli 

Cauliflower

Carrots 

Turnip 

This is because it's most probably hashimotos disease which is where the immune system attacks the thyroid I fixed my fiancee thyroid this way see if it works for you? Anything is worth a try. My fiancee was going to have to go for a biopsy and when we went back after 4 weeks her thyroid was normal!   

• Posted

Hi Moanie, if you were getting what you need, you wouldn't be feeling horrible. This is pretty typical of thyroid disease.  I recommend you read through the myriad of thyroid notes on this site to get a sense of what other people have found to be helpful A few people here have posted their success with using non prescription organic glandulars in place of prescription meds.

If you read enough of these posts, you'll see you aren't the only one finding the levo is ineffective at best, and comes with horrible side effects.

Hooe that's helpful.

• Posted

Hi I've suffered with the same symptoms for 9 years. Tried liothyonine and levothyroxine and neither drug makes a difference to symptoms. Im trying to get hold of NDT privately which I have heard improves things for a lot of people. I'll let you know if it makes any difference. I feel like these symptoms take over my life too

• Posted

Hi,

Yes 38 is to young for you to feel they way you do can I ask what thyroid medication are you on and the dosage.

• Posted

I have a similar situation in age and symptoms now especially the memory. For the past year I have been trying a natural solution and my dosage was just lowered by 125 mcg. My dosage has never been lowered. It hasn't always gone up until this last bloodwork. If you want you can message me and I can give you the info on what I a man doing. Thanks!

• Posted

Yes, research spirituality.  I'm amazed how much better I am doing now. Loving life. 

• Posted

A positive mind always help with any illness you have, you have to think positively all of the time don't let negativity creep into your mind!

• Posted

Hi, Levi almost made me have a heat stroke...im on Synthroid 100 and tomorrow I go get my results on my blood work...im not having any luck on this so far...do nothing but sit in my chair. ..no energy. .brain fog...cant poop cant sleep..the only thing different with me I also have a nerve disease called RSD/CRPS which also is getting worse because of my medication is off. ..Im so ready to just give up ...can't seem to win...tired of fighting with the endocrinologist. good luck to everybody I hope you have more luck than I do.

• Posted

Type O at the beginning
  • Posted

I'm wondering where your TSH is at?  I felt awful when I was going to my GP to regulate my thyroid because as long as I was in the normal range, he said I was fine and wouldn't raise my dose of levo despite being symptomatic still.  Well, I ended up asking him to be referred to an endo doc, which he did, and my endo told me that my TSH was way to high at 4.3.  He told me that most patients feel their best when their TSH is at around 1.00.  He finally got my TSH to 0.95 and for the first time in years.... I felt great!  My TSH at the moment is at 0.67 and I still feel good.  So, perhaps if your TSH is not at the lower end of the scale, you may need a higher dose?  Just a suggestion.  Best wishes....

• Posted

If you put your T4right this in turn will put the T3 right 

Try eating protein based foods like eggs nut and organic chicken!

Don't eat 

Cabbage 

Broccoli 

Cauliflower

Carrots 

Turnip 

This is because it's most probably hashimotos disease which is where the immune system attacks the thyroid I fixed my fiancee thyroid this way see if it works for you? Anything is worth a try. My fiancee was going to have to go for a biopsy and when we went back after 4 weeks her thyroid was normal!   

• Posted

I agree with Melissa. There's a lot more to getting the dose right and you need a doc who includes symptoms as an indicator. Autoimmune disease will decrease the thyroxin effectiveness.

For treatment to work for me, my TSH is zero. 

• Posted

I'm really glad it helped your fiancee. It may also be that eating fewer carbohydrates helps as well as the high animal protein diet. You do also need to check key vitamins and minerals: vitamin B12, vitamin D, iron, Ferritin (needs to be 70+), calcium. Selenium is essential for a healthy thyroid, so is iodine (though too much iodine is toxic to the thyroid). Try a gluten free diet. There Is a protein in gluten that is similar to that in the thyroid which results in the immune system attacking the thyroid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.