Feeling better physically but still so nervous, anxious and shaky

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone could help, or whether they have experienced anything similar. As my T4 levels have come down and are now close to normal, I have had more energy and feel physically much better. Not back to my old self yet, but getting there. But I still have that inner tremor, especially when I wake up at night, I am trembling and it often stops me sleeping. However, my biggest problem is during the day when I am left with a crippling nervousness and fear. I work with horses and used to be brave. I could handle anything and break in youngsters etc. But now I'm terrified. I hide it from my clients except that I shake when I am exerting myself physically or if I am stressed mentally. I am in the process of breaking in my lovely young horse and she's very willful and can be very naughty. I try to just carry on but afterwards I go inside and could cry. I am just totally overwhelmed by things which would not have worried me before I became hyperthyroid. I am wondering why my mental state has not improved like my physical state and whether I will ever feel normal again. I am also overwhelmed by social situations, even close family. Will it ever get better?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

YES !!

It will get better .... Much better

I suppose you're taking meds fir

Hyperthyroidism I take CARBIMAZOLE

Started 8 months ago with 40mg per day

And now on 5 mg per day ... And that terrible fear and nervousness and shaking

Has STOPPED !!

Good luck !

• Posted

Oh thank you! So pleased it has settled for you, it's just horrible.
    • Posted

Meant to say, I am taking carbimazole 20mg a day. I am so tired due to loss of sleep that I forgot to pick up my script and now only have 6 pills left until Monday. I'll have to cut my dose to 15mg. I hope it won't set me back.
    • Posted

Hi Madge Glad to learn that carbimazole has helped. Have you go any cardiac issues at all?
  • Posted

Yes I had.  Loved snowboarding and flying a lot in an airplane.  All of a sudden I was afraid to make snowboard down the slope or get like heart palpitations before a flight.  After a year in this forum.  I found out that we hyper have some deffieciencies on some Vitamins. Like VitD, Magnesium, b12, and Carnitine.  i've got them tested and they were low alright.  Vit D endo told me to take 1000mg, Magnesium OK, b12 low, Carnitine (ester low).  So from my googling I found out that magnesium defecient gives you that anxiety feeling.  So what I did was I started taking multi vitamins with magnesium but no Iodine.  Since my magnesium is at OK level.  But if your TSH not reading yet you might need a magnesium supplement 500mg perhaps.  my TSH is at normal now so I just take my multivitamins.  If you're can't afford those test.  Start with a low dose magnesium 500mg
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for that. Yes my tsh is still < 0.01. i am taking vit d and 400g magnesium and some l carnitine. maybe i'll up the doses a bit. 0.01.="" i="" am="" taking="" vit="" d="" and="" 400g="" magnesium="" and="" some="" l="" carnitine.="" maybe="" i'll="" up="" the="" doses="" a="">
    • Posted

Hi Jane. I am being tested every two weeks at present. The last bloods were done last Thursday and I see my GP this Thursday.
  • Posted

Dear Evergreen what did we ever do to deserve this? I known how you are feeling you are not going mad  I shook so much I dropped everything I picked up and go so frustrated and annoyed with myself, I slept sitting up  Thyrotoxicosis hit me in my 40s when at the top of my career which I had to leave. Crying relives the pressure your nearest and dearest do not seem to understand what you are feeling. You are very lucky to be working with horses they seem to pick up on how you are feeling, my little dog used to cuddle up to me so many of my tears landed on her coat. It was some time before the muscles in my arms and legs recovered, it is a long haul but you will get there one day at a time. wish you all the best Jacky     
    • Posted

Thanks, Jacky. Are you all right now? So sorry to hear how bad you had it. Itr really is so horrible; like you've lost yourself.
    • Posted

Hello Evergreen I am now 72 it has been a long haul and until the last few years I have coped well only recently had breathing problems went to asthma clinic this week and have been told I have copd and have been given a steriod inhaler which seems to be working. I cant understand  why I have copd as I have never smoked can only think old Graves is causing problems again. regards Jacky
    • Posted

Hi Alberta i am feeling like this too. It is truly horrible. Does anyone know why the muscles are affected like this?

• Posted

So many hyperthyroid patients are given beta blockers for the palpitations and shakes when they are first diagnosed and started on the antithyroid meds.  I found I didn’t need them much after  I started on antithyroid meds, however, occasionally I did need them and took a very low dose like half of a 10 mg Propranolol pill. 

Normalizing your labs will make a huge difference.  I tried the regular L-carnitine first at a dose of 3,000 mg and my TSH rose from less than 0.001 to 0.12.  Then I added Acetyl-L-Carnitine, 1,000 mg and my TSH just shot right up very quickly and my Methimazole dosage needed to be adjusted downward.  My Endo usually adjusts the meds and I adjust the supplements and on Acetyl  you have to have frequent blood draws and make adjustments or you will go hypo extremely quickly.

• Posted

Thanks. I can't take beta blockers unfortunately as have a very bad reaction to them. I'll try to get some acetyl-l-carnitine.

My insomnia has reached new heights. Despite valium and sleeping pills I can't sleep. It's worse than it's ever been. I feel suicidal.

• Posted

I know how you feel.  I had a sleep disorder for about 4 years when in was in my early 20’s.  What worked for me to correct it was the antidepressant called Tofranil (or generic name is imipramine).
    • Posted

Thanks. I was on mirtazapine for four years and this really helped me sleep but thn suddenly pooped out so I came off it. Does tofranil make you put on weight? I gained 2 stone on mirtazapine. Lost it all as soon as I came off it though.
    • Posted

At a therapeutic dose of 75 mg it makes you gain weight.  However, I only take 25 mg and I am fine with it.
    • Posted

I did not feel ill  when I had a TSH of 0.16 but I did not feel in remission either.  Depends on what your other thyroid values are and whether your vitamin and amino acid deficiencies are corrected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.