Feeling completely inadequate..

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with Menieres after starting with sudden vertigo attacks in July 16.  I had a month off work and then forced myself to go back because the pressure was well and truely on me to return.  After a couple of weeks i found my symptoms to worsen and i had no choice but to be signed off again.  6 months on I am still struggling, i have good days where i am able to do a bit more, but then i can wake up one morning and feel as bad as i did right at the beginning.  

what im wondering is, does anyone else suffer from feeling like they are completely unable to do anything because of menieres, and how do you change your mindset.

I have recently returned to work on reduced hours, to try and get myself some normality in my life, and to stop myself from lying around all day. But truth is, i dont want to do much more than lie around all day.  I find being at work totally draining, and come home in the afternoons in tears ready for a nap. I cant drive because i find my vertigo so unpredictable. Ive had to move back home with my parents because i need lifts to go to work and i genuinely dont feel i can live on my own right now.  Im so scared of an attack coming on, that i will exclude myself from situations. Not that i can go many places anyway as money is tight after not working very much. Plus the constant whoosing noises in my head are hard to ignore, especially when coupled with other sounds in "the outside world"

I seem to have fallen down quite a big hole, and i cant see a way out.

Ive cut myself away from my friends and family, because i find talking to them so draining, i get confused easily, i slur and to be honest i dont really have much more to talk about than how ill i feel.  Plus hearing about other peoples trips and outings doesnt exactly cheer me up. 

Does anyone else feel like this? What can i do to try and get out.  Ive been prescribed betahistine 16mg x 3 but i honestly dont feel they are having any effect on me. I stopped taking them for a week and i didnt notice any difference. 

i feel so worthless.

Man that felt good to write all that out.....

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Betahistine takes at least a month to become fully effective. I am not surprised that the dose you are taking has not worked - same for me, My consultant tripled the dose to 48mg tds which did the trick. He tells me I can go to even higher doses if necessary. I would persevere because it should help reduce the tinnitus and hearing damage.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry, I'm being a bit thick, do you take 48mg a day, or each time?

• Posted

48mg tds (three times a day) and I am currently on a higher dose (64mg) with consultant blessing.
  • Posted

Hi give it a chance.  It didnt work immediately for me, but it did after about three months, thats when it became most effective.  I haven't looked back. Had to take with food as it can give upset tummy which it did with me and that makes you feel yuk as well. I get some wobbles depending on light or if I do things too fast. In addition  I have had being doing vestibular rehab/retraining on a daily basis.  I saw real benefits after about six months.  The information from people on this forum is very helpful and we all seem to do one or two of the recommended programmes.   I don't feel  menieres is life threatening but when it use to happen it made me feel out of control and uncertain of everyday things.   

• Posted

From reading all my replies, it's seems I've really not given myself much of a chance. I can't expect everything to suddenly make a difference overnight.

I will try again with my vestibular rehab exercises as I stopped last time as they made me feel so sick, but I will stick at it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that...!

• Posted

I could've wrote this myself.

Yes to all of this. It does get better tho so hang in there. I read somewhere before that the 6 months after it initially begins is the worst.

I know it's hard to adjust right now but eventually you will.

• Posted

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this and feeling this way.

One of the main things I struggle with, is what other people think. On the surface I look ok, so people think I am! If one more person asks me ifb better yet I might explode! Another favourite is "shouldn't you be over this by now?"

• Posted

The thing you should be doing is not "lying around". Not only does that set you up for depression but it slows down your brains learning to compensate for the changes. See about vestibular rehab therapy take yoga or tai chi if yoga is too much for you. Get back to walking. I used a cane while walking to help me relearn how to walk in a straight line and not fall. Watch what you do with your eyes while walking at first. I found that walking and moving my eyes around would lead to an episode. Vestibular rehab involves eye movement and head movement to retrain the brain.It took awhile but now I am mostly okay. I have the woozies , ear pressure, sound sensitivity but I am so much better. I went from a dozen falls in three months to one in almost a year. There are other things, like difficulty dealing with stress or noisy environments and there will always be problems but get your butt back out there and take on life.

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I can see where you're coming from, and you'd be pleased to know I've just come home from a walk! Only a short one, but still, got to start somewhere. Giving in to my symptoms and letting it take over my life is the last thing I want to happen, but some days it's easier said than done, but all I can do is try. Thank you for replying

• Posted

Yeah for you Kenny. This disease will only make you a victim if you let it. Otherwise it is just another bump in the road.
  • Posted

Sounds to me like something else is going on. Have you had a second opinion?
    • Posted

What do you mean? My MRI came back clear bar a small cyst showing on my brain which I'm told was "incidental" and not causing any problems. My ENT consultant said that my GP shouldn't have even told me about it as it was irrelevant.

• Posted

Hi don't give up persevere with the medication, you've had good advice from other members. Up your doseage, It will stabilise but will take time. I was really bad for 9 months before my symptoms got better. Some days I couldn't get out of bed. Stupid question - do you have tinnitus and hearing loss? Have you cut down on yout salt intake? Honestly your not on your own I didn't realise how many people suffered from this disease before I joined the forum and I've found it really helpful. I have done a lot of reading on this and vitamin c is supposed to help with the vomiting and dizziness. I haven't had need to try it as my symptoms are a lot better I only have the occasional attack now. But perhaps you could research this? 

• Posted

9 months! Wow. Although that does give me some reassurance that what I am experiencing is normal.

I do have tinnitus, sort of a roaring sound in my ears, particularly when o stand up. And I drive people insane asking if they can hear noises I think I can! My ENT consultant tells me I have lost a significant amount of my left hearing, but I can't remember the exact numbers - or I didn't hear him lol!

I will try and up my dosage and see if that makes a difference. I've also cut down on salt, and caffeine, and alcohol. I've also stopped smoking, so everything I enjoyed! Hadn't thought of vitamin c supplements so I may give that a go. I'm willing to try anything.

I had never heard of this condition, and once you start googling you realise how many people suffer. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

• Posted

Well it sounds like you definitely have MD I was diagnosed with tinnitus 6 years ago and have lost my hearing in both ears I should wear hearing aids but I hate them. I also have a disfunctional Eustachian tube which drives me mad 😡 I have a constant high pitched ringing in my ears, some days it's louder than others, trust me you will get used to it you will learn to ignore it. The only times I really notice it is when it's quiet and on the days it's loud. I have attached a link for excercises which help to retrains your balance they are very simple. http://www.menieres.org.uk/files/pdfs/balance-retraining-2012.pdf.

Give it a go. 

• Posted

I have written a response it's waiting to be cleared because I've put a link in it for you in relation to exercise that help to retrain your balance. Hope it's released. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.