Feeling defeated

Posted , 6 users are following.

After a horrid summer of dizziness and vertigo, I went almost 4 weeks feeling almost completely normal! Until Saturday night. I was so excited because my best friend just got engaged and she and her fiancee were coming over for dinner and we were going to wedding plan. But 2 hours before they were going to come over the vertigo hit. Even talk ing meclizine didn't help this attack, it was the worst one I think I've had in a long time. I'm just feeling so defeated because I thought the worst was over since I usually don't have any problems this late in the year. My daughter is 10 months old and I just want to be able to be a good mom and I feel like I can't be with this disease. My husband and I want to start trying for a second baby next year but I'm afraid I won't be able to handle being pregnant again and having 2 kids. I'm only 25 and I don't want this disease to run my life but I also want to be realistic. I guess this was just a vent because I'm feeling so down on myself and no one else really understands what it's like to live with this.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Kelsey,

There are 7 million people suffering from MD in the U.S.A. just like you and me.  We at this site are here to support you in any possible way. Try to keep up the best you can with the postings because there might be a suggestion which just might help you lessen the number or severity of the episodes.  You're right, no one else can understand what we go through except us, so we stand must together.

• Posted

It's important when you say you've had an attack, to briefly say what that means for you.  Because everyone has a different idea of what an "attack" is.  Where you still able to function ("floaty" "uneasy"wink?  Or bedridden with the spins?  

Anyway, it sounds like the attack you mention preceded a social event.  Do social events cause you stress?  That can lead to an attack.   It often does for me.  

I can only speak for myself.  I have MD, and if I was a woman I would not have a second child.  Unless I had a lot of family support.   

I guess it depends on severity/frequency of your MD.  And how badly you want another child.  

I'm very sorry.  This is one messed up disease.  

• Posted

I was bedridden for 12 hours. This particular attack preceded a social event, but all summer they have come out of nowhere. I know that stress is a trigger for me but I wasn't stressed or anxious, I was just excited because I'm a stay at home mom and have hardly any social interaction with adults rolleyes

Thankfully my family lives less than 10 minutes away and is extremely supportive. I definitely couldn't have handled this without them! Before this summer I would only get vertigo maybe twice a year, so it was very manageable.

• Posted

Understood.  If family support is operative, I approve the conception of additional child. Proceed with intercourse.  
    • Posted

LOL!!   I think laughter is very good for MD and all that ails us!  ;-)
  • Posted

Dear Kelsey,

You're in the right place.  I don't think there's a person here who hasn't felt that sense of defeat and helplessness.  The unpredictable nature of MD attacks is so frustrating.  In my life, half of my friends understood all of the last minute cancellations, the other half were totally annoyed.  

I hope you'll stick around for the support and the information that's here for you. (It's even free!)

Just know that we totally get it.  I wish you all the best!!

J-

• Posted

Thank you! Its great to have found a group that can support each other because we all know how much this sucks lol.
  • Posted

Might be worth going to a physiotherapist. It sorted out my vertigo.
    • Posted

I have actually never heard of a physiotherapist, what do they do?
  • Posted

All my sympathy for that feeling of defeat. I do hope you are feeling a bit better now.

It does sound as if stress might be a trigger for you. I know weddings can be exciting and enjoyable,  but there is a lot of stress involved in the planning and it changes relationships as well. Your best friend getting married is a change for you as well as for her. Just a thought.

• Posted

So far I have felt better! I'm just trying to be grateful for every day that I feel good now.

Since it's not my wedding it will be much less stress than when I planned my own wink and it will get definitely change things for her, probably not so much for me. Stress is definitely a trigger for me but in this case I wasn't stressed, just excited to see them. I'm still not totally sure what brought that episode on rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.