Feeling depressed

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello everyone, I'm a 55 year old female and I've had a total right hip replacement 9 days ago due to oa. I'm still in a lot of pain and am very swollen from the knee down into the foot. I feel like the hips going to pop out every time I stand up, I also feel very depressed.  Any advice guys. Xx

2 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi...RTHR 03/15/16.  Take your meds and use ice. I used it whenever really sore especially after the dressing was removed at night. Take it easy rest when your tired and move as much as you can...you've had major surgery, and it's very early. Some of what your feeling is from the anesthesia if you had it...there's ups and down days even now at 14 weeks. ...this group has been through a lot and is helpful. Do you have exercises! Do them faithfully...it will improve...good luck.
    • Posted

Hello Catherine, thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. People have been so generous with their time, best wishes to you.💝
  • Posted

Julia, rest, ice and elevate! The first two weeks are the absolute worst. I was a basketcase at 9 days, all I could do was to go from bed to bathroom to dining room for meals and back again. Was VERY uncomfortable, taking opioid pain meds around the clock. Make sure you are properly medicated for pain, as that will help you with mobility. Depression after THR is common, as we are in pain, completely dependent on others and recovery takes quite awhile. Keep posting here with your questions and feelings and comments. It helps!
    • Posted

Hello Annie, thanks for making me feel normal. You hear so many stories of miraculous recoveries that it makes you feel so inadequate. Glad to hear your feeling much better, gives me hope. Thanks again take care. 💖
    • Posted

Yes, being on this forum and speaking to others does make one feel more normal. Hard to believe that it takes so long and is such a slow process to recovery. I like many others was not informed of what it would be like "after surgery" just found out on my own. I remember the day I came home just crying and crying, telling my daughter I don't know how we will manage that my husband would not be able to care for me or my much demanding needs. It was very hard on him as he is not very well either and had I known what the first week would be like I would have asked if the insurance would have sent me to rehab for a few days. I still have to have my left hip done so when the time comes I will request rehab if possible. The depression, and pain are hard to deal with. 

Thank you all for being here....Hugs....Barb

• Posted

Hi Barb, 

good that you found us - I cannot imagin how I would have managed 2 THR's without my friends out here ..

I stumbled upon this forum when I was about 3 weeks post-op from 1st THR - from that moment on I never felt alone again - 

well, it is a lonely journey though but less so when you know that you are understood and supported - 

the emotional part is unexpected, isn't it - hard to describe why we can feel so overwhelmed and sad - our body has lost a part - it was forcefully removed and replaced - anesthesia and medication also affects our mood -

anyway, I think it is a good idea to go to rehab for a few days - 

what kind of pain do you feel barb? 

come here any time, okay ?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Julia,

I am 64 and had a posterior THR on my left side at the end of Feb and expect to have my right hip done at the end of the summer.

But I don't think I will forget ever forget how challenging the first two weeks are.

Catherine and Annie gave you excellent advice. It is worth using a timer try your phone if you have one (thank you Graham) to ensure that you take your pain meds on time (too late allows the pain and swelling to build and too early risks danger to your liver and kidneys).

I can not overstate how important I found it to do my stretches and exercises regularly and even extras when your le muscles, etc have cramped up. This also helps keep the swelling in check although it gets quite bad at times. I did not appreciate how sitting and standing for extended periods can cause fluids to gather in my the lower areas of my leg (but then, I never had an operation quite like this before either)!

As the others have said - elevate, ice (keep off the incision and respect the 10 min on 20 off rule I just moved the pack to another section). A bag of peas can work - just mark them well when you put them back in the freezer.

And ... music (I cannot believe I needed another forum member to suggest plugging in my ipod and favourite music), puzzles, this forum ... anything that can help distract you as you stare at the ceiling or walls waiting for the pain to ease, to sleep or for your next pill. This period sucks - no two ways about it. Sorry.

Remind your friends that you need help and visits and let them know how tough it is.

Sending hugs and hopes that you find your balance in all this.

L

• Posted

Hello Linda, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. Very good advice thank you. I'm finding this forum very helpful indeed, don't feel so scared or alone. Take care, and hope everything goes well for you. 💝
    • Posted

OH so true for me....am 15 days post op and YES the first two weeks suck....no getting around that. I didn't think of the music may work for me. Have been watching a lot more television or movies than normal and for me that is hard because I am not one who is use to sitting still or laying around watching TV (boy has that changed)...Finally got my staples out today and am hoping for more improvement and less pain when sitting...Also being able to get a "real" shower.....aww.....It is the small steps that make me feel better, small accomplishements that I couldn't do just a few days prior. Some days though seem like I went backwards....ugh.....still trying and doing my exercises....Wishing you all well....It is a rough journey...
    • Posted

Hello chick. I also had my staples out yesterday, was so worried, but wasn't too bad at all, just a bit of pulling where the skin had grown over.  I know what you mean about not feeling comfortable with all this sitting around, and telly watching, feels so wrong. Well done, having a shower is a big step, I'm not able to get in the shower yet, it's quite small, so hair has to wait a couple of more days. On the upside though, have managed to walk around the house for a full half hour without a break, and am able to put about 70% weight on the hip. Hope you keep geting better each day, and the backward steps become fewer. take care. xxxxxxxx
  • Posted

Hello, thank you all so much for your advice. Another morning filled with the dread of movement. It's good to know I'm not the only basket case out there, I was beginning to think I was the only one who was finding it so disabling.  Love to you all. X
    • Posted

Hi Julia. I'm at the 4 week post op mark and it feels like just yesterday that I was at where you are now. My heart goes out to you. It can be such a debilitating, frightening experience. I have really struggled also getting to this point. There just is no easy way around it. l think that all of the support that I received on this forum helped me tremendously. It seems like most Dr.s don't take the time to prepare patients for the aftermath of a surgery like this. I was totally caught off guard. Also, the loved ones caring for me did not have a clue about the level of care that would be needed and quite frankly, they still don't! They do try and I appreciate that. It can make you feel very much alone! Being dependent on others for some of the most basic needs can be a very humbling and gut wrenching experience. Take strength from others on this forum who remember well but would probably rather forget what the early days of recovery were like! It helped me and although I have a ways to go, Things do look better and more hopeful at this stage of my recovery! Let us know how you are doing!
    • Posted

Hello cindy, many thanks for your reply. I can relate so well to everything you have said. It is a massive shock to the system. No one prepares you for just how dependent you will be. Just going to the toilet is a daunting task. I agree, finding this forum has been a godsend for me, people like yourself are so generous with their time and advice, even though they are struggling with their own issues, they find time to reasure us. I do hope your recovery is a speedy one. Many thanks again take care and good luck. 💝
  • Posted

Julia, you will have pain for a while. You must take your pain killers every 4 hours. Also, and very importantly, you must also take an anti-inflammatory once per day.

I was put onto an anti-inflammation tablet called Arcoxia which does not affect your stomach. The active ingredient is Etoricoxib. I still take it and it has done me know harm and I am convinced it has really helped towards my recovery.

I have not had any swelling in my leg, only where the cut is and my ankle has gone right down.

I know doctors don't really like you being on anti-inflame for a long time but my GP has told me that this one is ok.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello Patricia, thank you for replying to my post. I have started taking ibuprofen and this seems to help. Glad to hear your feeling better at this stage gives me hope. Thanks again. Hope your recovery is a speedy one. Good luck. 💖

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.