Feeling depressed with no1 to talk to who understands :(

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone, Im new to this and am so glad I found it as I have Felt the only one in the world with Psoriatic Arthritis! I have no one to speak to who understands & im beginning to feel very depressed. I'm only 25 but feel I just can't do a lot without being in pain! I'm always making up excuses to not meet my friends because I'm to tired and to achy. I have 2 children, 5 & 1 (on Saturday) very active little boys and just feel I'm failing as a mother! & as a girlfriend. Doesn't help my boyfriend really doesn't understand either! I'm not writing this for sympathy, just for people to talk to who understands really. Iv just recently gone from methotrexate (made me very sick) to Sulfazalazine (don't know how to spell it) so hoping it begins to work pretty soon! Has it worked for anyone else? Thanks, Sophie.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Sophie,  I'm sure someone will be along soon, with the same disease as you.

I don't have PsA but have been on Methotrexate, haven't taken  Sulfasalazine and am currently taking Mycophenolate Mofetil.

They usually tell you that these drugs take about 12 weeks to start to work.  I know that I feel washed out a lot of the time & I admire anyone who manages to look after small children too.

You aren't failing as a mother & a girlfriend.  You need support as a family.  I wonder whether there is a support group on Facebook?  I'm sure someone will tell you.

Good luck Sophie.

• Posted

Sophie your not alone and this sight will help and support you when your feeling low and depressed, I don't have your condition but do suffer with other problems so I totally understand.

Is there no leaflets you could ask your partner to read just so he has some understanding of it or take him to your rheumy/doc appointments so he can explain how this condition effects you, I really feel for you Hun especially having little ones.

I hope you get sorted soon with the right meds for you as I have read on here what a difference it makes to your life once you have the right combo.

Always here to talk and listen when you need it, no one judges on here as where all in the same boat so do t feel guilty if you need shoulder to cry on, sending hugs 💞

• Posted

Hi Sophie 

You are certainly not alone there are many of us that have PSA as im sure your about to find out. The pain it can cause is horrible, I have been on Sulfasalazine which worked for a while then i was put on Methatrexate along side sulfasalazine, I am now on Cimzia (biotic injection) which is great its the first time in four years without any pain, I am lucky that my wife understands, I describe the pain as though I had been hit with a plank of wood. 

Are you on any painkillers? I know how you feel with the pain i was in that much pain I was unable to work so I cant imagine what its like running around after two small children. 

As you may be aware both Sulfaslazine and Methertrexate can take up to 3 months to work, I was on Tramadol, Co Codomol and Ibrupen with Sulf and MTX all at the same time, but since being on Cimzia I am only on MTX and the Cimzia now. 

Get your Bf to read up on the condition he might start to understand, 

All the best 

Rob 

• Posted

Hi and welcome Sophie

you certainly are not alone! We all share pain here, there is no escaping it! In comparison mine is mild, I'm coping without painkillers most days. 

I take my hat off to anyone suffering here! 

Ive had PSA for some years, but only diagnosed recently. I am trying to search for alternatives to meds. I use acupuncture, yoga, Qigong exercises I found on YouTube and many many supplements. 

My work are very understanding at the moment but I know my days are numbered. 

You certainly are not failing, you are coping magnificently as not every mother has the discomfort like you! 

You are stronger than you realise! 

Stick with it girl! 

Ian

• Posted

Sophie,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way and I can relate. I'm new to the diagnosis and in some pain daily, some days are worse than others. I'm taking otezla, but have only been on it a few months, so no great results yet. I have a 9 year old boy who's super active. My husband is very understanding, though (it helped that he researched the disease to better help him understand) On bad days, instead of going outside, we all play board games or watch movies together, so I don't feel so absent. I carry a heating pad around the house and ibuprofen is on both floors of the house, so I don't have to climb stairs :-) working out helps me and I've found that drinking alcohol makes me ache badly the next day. This forum has been helpful for advice, understanding and the ability to just complain without judgement, but your rheumatologist might know of a support group to refer you to. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

I drink alcohol very rarely but when I do it definitely makes my joints hurt terribly the next day!! I wonder why? Iv not tried the heating pads, do they make you feel to hot? as I get so agitated if I am hot... I take tramadol as that's the only pain killer that really helps but I generally only take it couple hours before bed as they make me feel funny. It's just getting used to it all and my change of life, I'll get there evenualy :-) thanks for your comment xx

• Posted

Iv tried that and it didn't work Rob, and codiene, naproxen, everything really

• Posted

I don't know why alcohol increases the pain, either. I haven't met with my rheum yet, but I'll ask. Two weeks! The heating pads help only immediately. It doesn't last and it can make me hot but I just remove it then. someone actually mentioned cool packs, since it's a type of inflammation. Haven't tried that yet. This is all just a big change.

• Posted

I might be wrong but I think it has something to do with yeast and or sugar?
    • Posted

Alcohol...Larger/beer has yeast in it so will inflame joints, that's about as much as I know on alcohol and not even sure it's right it's only what Iv been told 😊

• Posted

Hi Rob, no change here!! I'm on differently meds so will see how I get on with them, I am low in iron and b12 because apparently the arthritis stops iron going through my stomach or something! She only phoned this morning but I was busy trying to get kids ready to school so I will speak to her later. I know I have to have a iron transfusion and have regular b12 injections. One thing after another but I'm sailing on through! Hope you are well. X

• Posted

Hi Sophie 

Sorry to hear your no better, I know what you mean one thing after another. Sometimes it seems as there is no end to it. Stick with it .... It will get better its just a long process. 

I am just recovering from Pneumonia, which has set me back back a little as i have not been able to have my Arthritis meds for a few weeks as Ihad an infection I can not take them, I can start them again tomorrow luckily the pain has been bearable. 

Did you have any luck with PIP, I did sent you a private message not sure if you have seen or read it. 

• Posted

What about vit d and magnesium? Iv been taking them about 2 months now and they have made a difference, muscles arnt as sore and I'm not so tired as I was before, just a thought 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.