Feeling down - can't eat, angina, have physical job

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnoses two weeks ago with hypeerthyroidism after losing lots of weight, feeling like I had the flu, insomnia, heart palps and the worse thing, not being able to eat anything and yet having to get up every day at 7 and run a horse livery yard with no help. So mucking out every day, cleaning off horses, changing rugs, picking out mud packed feet and hosing down legs. Every day, seven days a week. No rest ever.

​I have been on 20mg carbimazole and was starting to eat again. Weight loss halted, but still felt dreadful. Yesterday I got chest pains and diagnosed with angina. I can't tolerate beta blockers. Today I weighed myself and I've lost more weight and can't eat anything again. Now I feel like the carbimazole can't be working. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What is yours and your Dr's plan? Are you going to have an ablation or stay on meds and watch? I can't believe you can still do so much, when mine was so high I was huffing and puffing could not excercising, work out nothing without gasping for air. I had mine ablated. Now on darn thyroid med and trying to get it straightened out. I was on propranolol (inderal) because I had a lot of chest pain as well.
    • Posted

Oh believe me, I am staggering and huffing and puffing, feeling faint, dizzy and nauseous. The doctor is horrified I am doing so much. But I am self employed and rely on the income from the 3 livery horses. They are on full livery so I do everything for them except exercise. If I stopped doing it they would suffer. They need feeding, mucking out and tending to. I have one of my own too. No one else can do them. I think I will have to try and find aa freelance groom, but it's so hard to find one available.
    • Posted

I went into this illness being in tip top physical condition. Worked out on the cross trainer daily as well as doing what I currently do, plus riding. So I started off fit as an athlete. What I am doing now is a tiny fraction of what I was doing before my illness.
  • Posted

Hi evergreen,

hang in there.....it takes a few weeks for the carbimazole to kick in properly.  I too lost a lot of weight, still havent managed to put any weight back on and that was 3 years ago (when I was diagnosed.  You WILL begin to feel much better soon but unfortunately having to do so much work wont help as you really need to rest as much as possible and also try to avoid stress which is not easy.

Best wishes

Christine

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement. I was feeling so pessimistic. I think it's because I've just started back with my original symptoms again. I keep reading about people improving after a week or so.
  • Posted

It does take a bit of time for the meds to kick in.  I felt better when I added supplements to my treatment.  Hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of carnitine from their muscles and vitamin D and magnesium when they are running hyper and replacing these with supplements helps you to feel better and your disease to go into remission.

• Posted

Thank you. I take vitamin D and magnesium but not carnitine. I have heard people mention it before for hyperthyroidism. I will try it!
  • Posted

I'm in my 4 th month of carbimazole, am only just now starting to feel better babe....it takes time and patience, and lots of care. I'm still not there, long way to go.

thats the nature of this disease, you have to help yourself to feel as well as possible. Listen to your body, avoid symptom triggers like more than gentle exercise. Swimming lengths like I used to do makes my heart wallop and I feel sick and dizzy

Eat carefully, good nutrition is a must. Try advised supplements like selenium and B complex vitamins.

dont panic, you're not alone X 

• Posted

Thank you, Jan. I have some good days occasionally and then I think I over-do it and then suddenly hit a wall and feel rubbish the next day. Always when I feel better I think the meds have kicked in and I tell people I'm feeling better and then crash. I think others find it difficult to understand just how bad you feel. Glad you are feeling a bit better and hope that you get there eventually x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.