Feeling drunk on Lofepramine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all - I was recently changed to Lofepramine after being on Prozac for a while. After taking only three 70mg tablets I felt totally \"drunk\" and had to be collected from work as I dare not drive. I was spaced out, giggling and doing silly things!! When I got home I slept from approx 2pm tp 8pm. The next day I still felt spaced out and went back to my GP who suggested I try on a reduced dose first - half tab at night.

The problem now is I am really worried about taking these tabs again but obviously do not want to go back into a bad depression.

Any thoughts??

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm not sure if it is totally normal, but I have the same problem. When I was put on Lofepramine, I was told to take one 70mg tablet at night for the first week and then progress onto two 70mg tablets at night. I take them for depression as well as sleeping issues. I've noticed that between 4pm & 8pm I get a headache which is the time gap that I take my next dose and as soon as I've taken them it goes :s During the day I feel like I've been out all night drinking stupid amounts, giddy feeling, wobbly legs, spaced head etc. I've decided to see what the symptoms are like after 6-8 weeks as during the first 6 weeks, your body is getting used to them and the symptoms my subside. If not then I'd suggest going back to your GP.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this too, but at the same time, it's nice to know I'm not the only one lol. Good Luck smile

• Posted

Hi

I have been taking these tablets and only managed to increase to one and a half and then felt horrendous

so have now gone back to taking one, tried phoning the doctor who prescribed since Friday but he has not

got back to me, do the symptoms go if you carry on taking them i have to get up to taking 2 - 70mg per night. After taking Lustral 150mg for 2 years i feel i cannot just stop taking these tablets any suggestions ??

• Posted

Hi,

To be fair, I have come off them completely. The drunk feeling never went, it was to the extent where I could barely stand!

I have felt so much better since coming off them! It might be worth asking if they can try you on something else?

Fingers crossed and good luck smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply how long did you take them for? I cannot believe the doctor has not got

back to me. To be fair i do feel a bit brighter in myself apart from these other side affects did you also get excessive sweating i feel as though i am getting a bucket of water thrown over me !!

I really dont know what to do if i come off them completely i will be the wreck i was before, and i dont want to even go there again i am just beginning to feel human again..

Kind regards

Thank you

• Posted

I was on them for about 6 months. Keep ringing the doctor til they get back to you! I felt brilliant whilst on them (apart from drunk feeling) and as for the sweating, unfortunately I'm not sure cos I have that anyway due to Underactive Thyroid lol.

But seriously, keep hassling the doctors til they get back to you cos it's dangerous, it stopped me from doing my work properly (I work with children and feared picking them up in case I dropped them)

I really do hope they sort this out for you. I'm not sure if this helps, I was on Amytriptaline before hand and they were great (only came off them cos they didn't do anything for my sleep)

Take care

• Posted

Thanks for your help i have been on amytrip did not help me, well thats how i feel with these not in control

of myself i wont even drive. I will phone again tomorrow thanks again for your help.

• Posted

No problem. I really do hope they sort it out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.