feeling emotional

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello. I'm due to have my hip replacement on 1st march and although I know it's the best thing for me I'm feeling quite emotional. I was warned I might feel this way afterwards. Does anyone else feel this?

3 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck with it. The surgery should get you to a better place but quite understandable that you feel quite emotional about the prospect lf the surgery as it is a step into the unknown for you. Just make sure you have made everything as convenient as possible for your return home.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Typo.... as the surgery is a step into the unknown for you.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thanks Richard - coming to this forum certainly helps to put things into perspective It's great to have the support.

• Posted

The whole thing is roller coaster of emotions. Nothing wrong with you at all - it's ok to feel a whole range of emotions. Just because it's a physical operation doesn't mean it  doesn't have mental impacts. It's a big thing you are facing and no matter how well you prepare it's quite understandable to feel overwhelmed by it. Just come here if it feels too much - there's always someone here, and you'll find fellow travelers who know just how you feel.

Good luck. Not long to go now, and once it is done, I'm sure you'll find that it was the best decision you ever made. Hip replacement is the most successful surgery going and gives people back a pain free life. It's a journey to get there, but well worth it.

• Posted

Thank you Beth it's so good to know that it's 'normal' to be on a rollercoaster of emotions. I feel sorry for my husband having to cope with my ups and downs. This forum is great and so nice to know the support is out there.

Thanks again

• Posted

It's a very up and down time emotionally. I remember thinking on my way to theatre, 'what am I doing, I must be mad...' But it's so worth having the op, and you will soon feel so much better.

Wishing you all the best, Judith

• Posted

Thankyou Judith - feeling reassured. I'm thinking that when it's not so painful but really I know what needs to be done! I think I'm having difficulty accepting it.

• Posted

Having the best Surgeon is what's important. I had doubts before mine and now so glad I had it done. In mid-March you will have a new out look and feel much better

• Posted

Thanks Steve - it's good to hear you're pleased you had it done. That's reassuring. I have every confidence in my surgeon. Having to wait gives me too much time to think smile

• Posted

Hi Molly my surgery is March 2nd and I am in a constant state of panic and cannot eat so you are not alone, my problem is although I will have help at home I panic at the thought of being trapped inside ,wonder if anyone felt like this and will it pass after surgery.
    • Posted

I don't know how anyone else felt, but the one thing I was concerned about was being "trapped inside" - I live alone, top of the Pennines, winter, can't drive, just me and the dog! And actually, I was out walking up and down the street the day I got out of the hospital, and the time I was off work passed so quickly that I don't know where it went!

• Posted

Yes Mary I'm worrying about that too - I've got a crochet project lined up and am going to catch up on some reading. Best wishes for 2nd march - will be interested to hear how you are doing?

• Posted

Thanks Beth I didn't realise we could walk outside so soon makes a difference.

• Posted

Hi, I think most people get emotional, it's all very frustrating, painful, invasive, out of your control etc. I'm 5 months post op and still get weepy when I think about it too much. But I'm getting better physically and mentally, there's just no quick fix. 😬🖖

• Posted

Thanks Lisa - at least we know we're not alone here. Thank you for sharing how you feel

• Posted

I'm 6 weeks post op and was fine before the op emotionally although i was terrified of the procedure. Fortunately all went exceedingly well. Great to be pain free and able to walk.

Then at 3 weeks I'd had a friend to stay for the weekend and do some jobs for me that I couldn't do because of the hip precautions.

After he'd gone home I was at my lowest and kept bursting into tears for no reason.

Gladly I got through it by having his friends come for coffee and chat.

After that its been getting better every day and now I've got to the 6 week milestone and can start getting back to normal.

Good luck. It's a long road but worth it.

• Posted

Thankyou - it's good to know others have gone along the same path

So pleased to hear you are making a good recovery - I'll look ahead.

Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.