Feeling fed up!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi me again, sorry to keep going on but getting really fed up now!

I have been on 10mg of Carbimazole and 45mg of propranalol for 6 weeks now since before Xmas. I know people have said on this site be patient it takes a good while to feel better, but if i could just explain how i live at the moment, I wondered if it was typical of having an overactive thyroid!

I tried to just use propranalol when my pulse racing, however as soon as i stopped for just one day racing pulse was back! I can put up with aches and pains, but i'm not living at all !!!!

Mornings are worse takes so long to come round! If i do manage to stay up and try and have a normal day, i find by by the end of the day i am speeding find it hard to slow down, i then get into bed dead tired but my head won't switch off and I can't sleep! So I can't get up in the morning and then i sleep for about 24 hours and then try it all over again! My husband and daughter are getting very frustrated with me, so i feel guilty about staying in bed! I'm sure they and the rest of my family think I'm not fighting this and i am weak!

I don't want to be like this ( i am not depressed as i do suffer with this) so again family think it might be depressed! There is no point in me going back to doctor as he has told me it does take a long time to feel better! I am having bloods done again Thursday so will see him Friday! Sometimes i feel it' s all in my head! The other thing I haven't mentioned i am b12 defienct and have injections for this, plus i am on antidepressants so they probably don't help with tiredness!

Any feedback i'd be very grateful!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My heart goes out to you, it truly does, are you feeling any better than before you started the meds?  If not, you may need them adjusted which you can look into at your next appointment.  With regards to your family, I used to think the same, but it's just they are worried about you.  It took me longer than 6 weeks to feel any improvement, that was in 2010, now I've all the symptoms back again and all bloods are within range, so I'm told it maybe anxiety!  I've been trying to see an Endo, but all booked up until end of Feb., so I'm hanging in there and you do also, I got better before and I will again and so will you, one other thing that I used to do when I got into bed and it was like someone pressed fast forward in my brain, I would either say a prayer or a verse of a poem really really slowly, sounds scilly but it worked 😄
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Jean, i know my family are worried really!

I think since medication i have got rid of a few symtoms, but feel the tiredness has got worse, and i only feel better after a really long sleep!

• Posted

If it helps I feel the same I was diagnosed last May I I got my level down then it goes back up now it boards under active. Sleep what I would do for a 8 hour sleep. My endo has said itwill take up to 18 months to establish a routine. In the mean time I hope your family continues to support you like my husband and son do I do now have more better days than bad so just hang in there
  • Posted

I know EXACTLY how you feel and so will countless others on this site and other sites who have this bl**dy awful condition.  "Tired but wired" !  The racing thoughts at night are horrendous as is the racing pulse and forceful pounding heartbeat BUT it WILL get better.  It could be that your dose of Carbimazole needs upping, I'm not sure because you have been prescribed Propranalol as well - I wasn't, I was only prescribed Carbimazole but 40 mgs.  I was diagnosed Hyper/Graves in 2013 and after taking the Carbimazole for a few weeks I felt much better than I had, but when the Endo placed me on Block & Replace therapy and added Levothyroxine, well I haven't been that good and am still now suffering from anxiety/palpitations/panic and breathlessness.  Clearly my medications need sorting out and unfortunately the NHS Endo that I see is ill and has cancelled my last 2 appointments, still awaiting an appointment.  You know it's not all in your head and you know you are not lazy and you can't fight it, you have to allow your body to tell you what to do i.e. rest and sleep when you can.  Family and friends as much as they may love us, haven't got a clue what we are going through because it's a condition that is SO debilitating for us but unless there are physical signs/changes it's hard for people to believe just how poor our health is.  I've gone from a size 10 to a size 6 and look about 10 years older than I am because of that so people realise there IS something wrong but don't realise how serious it is.

You don't have too long to wait before you have your bloods done and so the doctor hopefully will be able to review/adjust your medications depending on what the results show.

Let us know how you go on.

Christine

• Posted

Have you change your diet? Since then like No more iodized salt, tea or coffee.  Try and eat more vegetables.  When I was diagnosed, I started drinking green juice. Spinach, Kale, carrots and apples to make it sweeter
    • Posted

i do try to eat healthy hypnocool, i am vegetarian, but i do crave sweet foods especially when i wake up! I try so so hard not to give in and eat them! but it's like my body is screaming for a sweet fix!

Have you found your diet has made a big difference?

• Posted

Ah yes I also had the cravings for sweet foods too and the amount of sugar in my tea went up without me even realising for quite some time !  You're right in what you say, it is our bodies cryig out for a sweet fix - for the energy we need because we hyper patients use everything up faster in our bodies because we are "wired".
  • Posted

Hi there Welsh Girl - I'm taking propranolol 3 x a day, while I'm waiting to see the endo for the first time.I can get restless at bed time with mind spinning. I've downloaded some free relaxation/meditation apps on my phone and if I can't sleep I listen to those - headspace is my favourite as I find the voice very calming. Even if I think they aren't working I seem to nod off eventually. The odd night they don't work I get up and watch tv until I fall asleep through boredom! Might be worth a try?
  • Posted

Hi Welsh girl,

It is  helpful if you always get and keep a copy of any lab tests that are done on you for your own file and post results and meds dosage when you post to a Board like this.  It gives me a better idea of where you are at regarding meds dosage and your body's response to them.   I know stress triggers Graves disease and mine was triggered by an abusive co-worker.  It then feels like a chicken and egg argument - i.e. was it the stress that caused it or is my current stress due to it?  For me, while my excessive thyroid hormones were controlled quickly by 10 mg of Methimazole, my TSH and some physical symptoms were not until I added supplements to my treatment protocol.  I read an article by an Italian endocrinologist on the benefit of adding 3,000 to 4,000 mg of regular L-Carnitine per day.  As soon as I did that, my TSH which would not rise on just the meds, began to rise and I started feeling better.  I also found out I was deficient in Vitamin D so I added vitamin D3 1,000 to 5,000 IU per day as well as Magnesium 200 mg daily.  If you have a high anxiety level, the herb Lemon Balm is very helpful to calm yourself.  I would not be able to take 40 mg of Propranol at all.  I was prescribed 10 mg and didn't need it after I started on the methimazole.  Also practicing techniques like mindfulness and meditation are helpful to stop the brain from overactivity.  Hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Give it some more time WElsh girl.  I was told not to do extra work and rest a lot because of my heart palpitation and my husband was understanding when he found out that I was sick.  But before we knew I was sick, I was tired all the time and he thought I'm lazy or something always in bed and when he asked me to walk or bike withhim I can't because I got so tired right away.  As I was on medication he understood and people around me that it's not that I'm lazy.  I was sick and needed rest.  I was also like, i dont know um my patience were short fused.  And I was just thinking too much... During that journey, I found out that there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel.  This is not me and instead of keeping depressed about this.  I focus on when my TSH normalized, I will do this this and this....Because my brain kept thinking and thinking and won't stop... So I just list stuff I'd like to do when I get better.  And also put a computer infront of my I was great at organizing couple of parties for friends....  Just make lemonade out of lemons.... Maybe there are things you can do while in bed
  • Posted

Hi there Welsh girl

I relapsed a second time after 18 years remission. I have been on PTU for about 8 months and was put on propanolol for palpitations. When my levels became stable, I was taken off propanolol, however I now realise I should have been taken off them gradually, I had 2 admission to A & E with chest and thyroid pain and breathlessness, they said stopping propanolol suddenly can cause 'rebound' symptoms, perhaps this is what is happening to you? My Endocrinologist told me to take them like paracetomol when I needed them. I am now off them altogother as my levels are within normal limits and I am feeling a little more like a human being. I am having RAI next month and despite some negative comments I cannot wait, I have a life to lead and cannot spare the time to relapse again and possibly again! I wish you good luck. Perhaps your husband and daughter could do with some education on this most horrid disorder, but ,please know that you will be well again when your body gets back into balance. Take care and perhaps chat about how you ought to be using propanolol?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.