Feeling hopeless after GP visit, what can I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For around 3 or 4 months now I've felt incredibly down and just empty (I don't really know how to describe it), I want to stay in bed and sleep all day and I have no motivation at all. I dont go out very often and no longer enjoy going to the gym like I used to. It's started to really affect my university work because I have no motivation to even go or do the work.

Finally I decided to go and speak to my GP about it and she explained that because of my age, I'm 21, they were unlikely to prescribe anything and would try counselling but the earliest they could get me in is the 12th of January.

Now I feel even worse because it just seems so long away and I'm struggling to cope now. I really don't know what to do or how to help myself before then

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

One of the reasons they may withold medications is age and the fact you need to be on your game when studying, CBT without medications can work and you will still be on your game.

There are some very good reasons why they will not give AD mdications in a young Adult and I would imagine you would or may have had the reasons explained for you. It is in my eyes very responsible of your GP not to give drugs at this time.

You have a good Doctor

BOB

• Posted

I completely understand why she wouldn't prescribe anything and that's not my issue, I felt that she didn't really give me much help in relation to what I could do in the meantime before my counselling starts.

• Posted

Hi Cara

I really sympathise with you. It's really positive to have the counselling in January so definitely do that. In the meantime maybe you can try some mindfulness meditations. When I've been at very low points it's impossible to do almost anything and I used to put headphones in before bed at night and do it. Just try it. There are lots of apps and other sites you could try. It's just about focusing on your breath and clearing your mind.

Be kind to yourself and try to soothe yourself in any way you can. It might be things like calming music, feeling certain fabrics, a bath, watching a film you love etc. Try to see friends and try not to withdraw too much. Avoid getting drunk.

It might also be worth speaking to a counsellor at your university. Often they can help and I had some deadlines moved when I was struggling.

The important thing to remember is that you will feel better again, and be kind to yourself in the meantime. It might be worth speaking to your family but only if you think they will be supportive.

That's my advice anyway, be strong and I hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your suggestions I'll definitely try those and I've made an appointment to speak to student wellbeing, so hopefully that will help as well.

I really appreciate your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.