Feeling horrible after been on the steroid prednisone

Posted , 129 users are following.

Hi all , wonder if anyone can help .. I was put on prednisone steroid for 5 days after I went to my doctor last Thursday wif a cough and slightly tight chest .. I was on 8 tabs a day and I'm sure they were 5mg .. I finished them on Monday past .. Since Sunday tho I have been feeling quite weird like my whole body is aching and I just don't feel normal my legs r the worst wif really bad pains like I have ran a marathon and feel really hot and just like i have flu I'm usually fit and healthy so to be feeling like this is making me feel anxious .. I did read that this steroid can have these effects .wish I never started them now tho as hate feeling like this so glad there finished , just wondered if anyone else had any of these feelings wif it ? Thank u X

2 likes, 548 replies

548 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been feeling awful all week and got up (barely) this morning to look up food to eat after steroids. It finally dawned on me that my feeling lousy for 5 days now wasn't just some 'bug' I picked up over christmas because by now if it was a bug, I should be feeling better, but I'm feeling worse. I was given 5 days of 20mg prednisolone over christmas to help with food allergies. Now I have the worst chest infection I have ever had ( and I am usually never sick), blocked sinuses, incredible headache, nausea, and all the flu aches and pains. I thought I had just been unlucky and caught some bug but I am now realising it is the prednisolone, It is AWFUL. I was seriously thinking of going back to the GP tomorrow but after reading your comments I wonder if I just  need to ride it out. I feel sick when I eat, but ill when I don't. How long does it last? I am so grateful for all your comments and help.

• Posted

Me Again. Has anyone tried panadol or neurofen to help with the aches? Too scared to try in case I get queasy and it makes things worse. Also has anyone found anything that they can eat? Thank you.
  • Posted

hi I was on prednisone steroid for 5days 40mg finished on Wednesday today is Monday could I still have side effects just don't feel like myself like out of body experience? Tink I'm going crazy please help

• Posted

I feel the same way! I was on a taper for a week. I’m getting very nervous. I feel like im floating or something very dizzy like and my eyes won’t focus right. Very very tired. I just feel weird all over. I didn’t know steroids could do this stuff. I was scared there was something wrong like s brain tumor or something really serious when I started getting sooo dizzy and my eyesight got weird. Anyone else have dizzy and vision  eye symptoms?? Help I’m so scared. Sending prayers to all 
    • Posted

hi Bridget the steroid messed with everything I'll never take them agaii can't even think straight and things I normally worry about is going over my head like A emotional and physical numbness. I hope u feel better soon. I'm hoping they wear off soon

• Posted

Hi i know this thread is old but im currently experience withdrawal symptoms and i would like to know are you back to normal and how long did it take to feel like yourself?
    • Posted

Hi Bridget... i was prescribed prednisone for chest congestion causing breathing problem.

I was prescribed with 40mg for 3 days then 30 mg for 3 days and the 20mg, 10mg and 5 mg each for 3 days respectively. So it was a 15 days course. I just took the 40 mg and 30 mg pack so it was total 6 days i took the medicine and then i had to stop it because i was not able to bear it anymore. On the second of 40mg i started feeling very lightheaded or as you said like u feel u were floting and along with that i becane very weak with every passing day. Other effects were change in vision and focus of vision and dizziness. Now its already been a 6 days when i had the last tablet but till date i feel the same effects and i don't know how long it will continue. I feel very scared because its been total 12 days of this effects now since i started having the problems from the very first day of my 1st dose of 40mg and 6 days have passed away even after the last dose.

I understand your pain as well but its been 2 months of your post and i want tk ask how are you feeling now and how much time does it took for you tk feel normal.

• Edited

Hello everyone, I had posted a few months ago about my horrible experience with prednisone and I'm just now seeing new posts, first of all thanks to everyone who responded it gave me hope. I wanted to address some new post to give them hope, yes it will take a while even maybe a few weeks to feel normal again but it does get better so hang in there I know its horrible but it will pass it was a nightmare for me I was going crazy.

And for those talking about the out of body feeling I got that too, its called disrealization or depersonalization you can look it up, but of course with the prednisone it felt even scarier. Don't worry I'm so sorry everyone I know how horrible it feelssad

• Posted

Thanks Angela I hope it passes really quick I would not wish it on anyone my doctor tried to tell me the prednisone should be out of my system after a day.i just looked them up and it's exactly like that. I will never take that steroid again I'm gone crazy on it

• Posted

I understand I will definitely never take it again it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had I thought it might kill me. You'll be okay I promise keep us updated!smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.