Feeling like I'd turned the corner - then bang! Starting week 4.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I found this forum a few weeks ago when I was desperately seeking reassurance during those first few weeks of taking Fluoxetine, and the awful awful side effects.

I have been having stress related panic attacks, due to various unavoidable situations. During these attacks, I actually feared for my own safety a few times, thoughts of suicide brought on with that unrelenting desperate feeling of despair and futility.

Doc prescribed fluoxetine (40mg) with diazepam back up which I try not to use unless absolutely necessary.

The first two weeks were awful, and I mean terrifying. However, during bouts I'd read these forums, and the general consensus is to stick with the flux as they do take time.

Last week I felt I'd at last turned a corner, was starting to feel more relaxed and accept that the attacks will happen and just see them through. They dwindled from about 6 a day to I think 3 in total for the whole week! I even came on this forum and was able to reassure someone in week one that what she was experiencing was exactly the same as me, and promised her it would get better!

Then yesterday, for no apparent reason I was floored. It's like I'd let my guard down and was blindsided. Again, I put my entire experience thus far into fighting it back, and eventually was able to settle by evening time.

This morning I woke up, took my meds, and for the most part felt great again. Until lunchtime, then bang - exactly the same as yesterday. Another deep rooted panic attack. The only difference between these ones and the original attacks a few weeks ago is my ability to recognise they are normal and will subside.

My question is, will these stress induced panic attacks eventually stop as easily and as much as everyone suggests the other types of symptoms (depression, anxiety etc) do, say around week 4-6? Week four starts tomorrow for me. Am I being too optimistic too quickly? The stress is predominately brought on with the fact I have bought a new house that we move into at the end of Feb, but during the process discovered potential (but unlikely) structural issues with my current house that we need to sell (after spending tens £1000s on it over the last two years).

I have a young but rapidly growing family. hence the need to move to a bigger house, and they depend on me 100%.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

4-6 weeks is really early days, and along the road to recovery you'll often find yourself up and down - its very common.  3 steps forward and 2 steps back - all the way.  It does get easier even though you'll continue to be up and down, but it will start to even out.  

It can take months to recover, but don't let that worry you as even though you'll continue to be up and down it does get smoother.  No two people are the same - some recover much quicker and some much slower.  Count recovery in months not weeks ...... as each one passes just tick it off as a step nearer to recovery.

Stress is usually the cause of anxiety / depression and each little stressor will cause you a blip.  Your body will only take so much stress before it boils over, becomes sensitive, turns into anxiety and then we become afraid of the anxiety.  Taking the medication and relaxing the body helps to desensitise it.

Don't try and hurry recovery up as you can't.  It'll happen for you in its own time, so let it come to you.  Try and hurry it up and it'll cause frustration and tesnion ..... and anxiety.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Kate! I appreciate these things do take time - and it is very frustrating when the backward steps kick in.

I'm also getting married in September - so that's the next potential trigger...... but I will worry about that in August!! (Or rather, hoping that I will be a fully functioning human again by August!)

I guess my focus should really just be on the next four weeks. I have also realised that my current triggers ALL relate to this property I am in just now. Hoping that when I move, the issues will also be left behind.

Basically it's an old wooden house that we threw about £30k at, having the loft converted etc. The builders were an absolute disaster, and the 6week timescale we were advised of

took almost a year to complete. Not ideal with a young family trying to live in a building site. There was water coming in through the roof - and then the company owner was jailed for money laundering!!! We ended up having to have the entire roof replaced at a further massive cost, virtually eliminating our entire savings. Two years later and there's cracks appearing in the plaster work which has made my overactive thinking convince me the house is going to fall down, which in turn is making me panic that we won't be able to sell....

If I could just get over this hurdle.

In real terms, I should be loving life just now. New house, getting married etc etc....

• Posted

I think anyone would feel stressed in your situation - poor you!!!  Moving house, building work, rogues and planning a wedding ........

Though you can't escape what's happening you can help your body by learning to relax, and I don't just mean sitting and laying with deep breathing.  Letting go of tension in your body, especially the stomach really, really helps to desensitise your body.  At the moment the stress has caused you to tense over time and your body has become sensitive, so any little provocation will set it off causing anxiety.  Reversing that will help to densentise your body so you'll feel more able in dealing with any stress.

If you take a look at yourself you'll probably find you're clenching your jaw and your abdominals are held tight without realising it.  Soften your facial muscles and abs with an outward breath and try going about your day at the same time (moving about whilst relaxing these is the way to go).  Its especially good when something happens that makes a stab at those stressors and you feel like you want to explode ...... thats especially when you should practice trying to let go, breath, relax ...... It won't happen overnight, but in time your body will learn relax more resulting in being able to handle stress more.

Also stop rushing about - that causes tension.  Slow down, walk slower and drive slower too - take the inside lane, put on some classical music whilst driving (or none) .... (heavy thumping music though nice does cause those stressors to react), go out for a daily walk (gentle exercise is good and also being out with nature too).  But just slowing down along with practicing to relax will make a big difference.

The meds will help a great deal too - they do make you feel worse before you get better and over time they also help to relax your body, raise your serotonin making you feel better.

September is a way off and I'm sure by then you'll be feeling much better.

Congratulations on the wedding by the way - my daughter got married last August - such an exciting time!!

You will love life again - just slow things down, learn to relax and wait for the meds to kick in.  We push our bodies too much sometimes and they can only take so much stress.  Be kind to your body and you'll begin to feel the benefits.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.