Feeling of lump in throat

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last July is when this all started. I was getting ready doing my make up and came across a little lump in my neck. I went and saw the doctor who checked it out and said he wasn't worried and to come back in 6 weeks. 6 weeks passed and I went back and the lump was still there. He said that he still was not worried that he suspected that this was due to a full months work of dental treatment including an abscess and sometimes lympth nodes do not always go back down to their original size but protocol was to send me to ENT. That's when it started. This feeling of a lump right in my throat. Not the one i could psychically feel but a lump that made me feel like I was suffocating.

I used my private healthcare and got seen almost straight away. The doctor examined my neck and sent me for an ultrasound on my neck to check the lump. The doctor said there was nothing to be worried about. He also put a camera up my nose and down my throat as I had told him about this feeling he said there was nothing to be found and said I am suffering from globus an anxiety disorder that makes you feel as if you have a lump in your throat. This feeling was horrific all the way up until my wedding in the November and the only thing that helped was Diazapan. After my wedding the feeling seemed to go away and saw the docotor again in the december who done the camera down my throat again and everything was clear. A few weeks ago it has been back with a vengeance. I got tonsillitis and then all of a sudden this feeling and constantly worrying I'm dying I now have sore ears and convincing myself iv got some form of throat cancer. Obviously typing into Google this is what comes up. I don't know what to do being back in this horrible place again is just awful I'm 29 and 3 and a half months pregnant and can't seem to enjoy my pregnancy and am petrified I'm going to be leaving my 4 year old daughter. I know I sound completely crazy but this thought is with me all the time. I just could never believe this feeling in my throat comes from anxiety and that it has to be something else.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi LAURA

Sorry your feeling so bad.

Stress causes anxiety you were stressed about the wedding it stopped once the wedding was over now you are pregant your are stressed again.

You have been checked out you are fine it is all psychosimatic and dont google stuff it just fuels the anxiety.

Consider therapy to learn how to cope and not let it take over your life

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Thank you Lynne I am going back to see my doctor and will discuss therapy.
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel. I've always had anxiety but developed an irregular heart rhythm and became obsessed that I was going to die and leave my 5 year old son. I had an ecg that was fine but waited 14 months for an echocardiogram to see how my heart was working and the wait sent me spiralling out of control. I had the scan last Wednesday and have to wait for results. I can't eat I can't sleep I'm petrified 24/7 it's breaking my heart for my son I feel so guilty. I'm on sertraline but it's not working I don't know what to do
    • Posted

I feel your pain Jessica. I have been on so many different types of medication I have lost count but came off them when I discovered I was pregnant. I have made an appointment with the doctor to discuss this.

It's such an awful feeling thinking you are leaving your child behind I lay and cry over this so much I just want to live a normal life once and enjoy it.

I hope your results come in fast for you I can't imagine how worried you are but sure everything will be ok for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.