feeling over medicated

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,  diagnosed with severe TN this last November.  Currently taking 600mg Lyrica and 1800mg Tegretol a day.  Trileptol has been tried and I passed through the upper limit.  Break through pain is starting again, lightly.  I am not sure where I can go once I reach the Tegretol limit of 22oomg...MRI has been done, nothing significant showing.  The effects of the two medications is too much on the long term.   Surgery in my future?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It might be im thinking im in the same boat but im going to try b12 soon for trigeminal neuralgia
    • Posted

Hello, are you going to consult with your neurologist or on your own? I'm asking because I'm thinking about trying as well. Not sure how much or which brand would be best. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Pam in pain!

• Posted

If the meds aren't working, I would recommend surgery. Since the MRI didn't reveal anything, I.e. Blood vessel on the nerve, then gamma knife or rhyzotomy seems to be the next step (it was for me). I've had both (gamma knife done twice) and the stereotactic rhyzotomy was what worked the best. Make sure the neurosurgeon is experienced with TN. My surgeon for the rhyzotomy was EXCELLENT and made sure to stop before my face went numb. Good luck!

• Posted

Diagnosed 2005. Try asking about Lamotridgene, Gabapentine and Carbiazepine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.