Feeling rubbish, could it be B12 deficiency as well?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed 25 years ago and have been on levothyroxine and stable at 150mcg until last year. Suddenly levels shot up, dose reduced and stabilised at 125mcg. Thing is I feel awful, exhausted, aching, cold when inactive, unable to concentrate, forgetful and sometimes just plain spaced out! I've never been tested for B12 levels, or anything else for that matter. Any ideas anyone has I'd be interested to hear. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jackie:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

B12 can go low and so does Vit D as we age.  B12 helps with making new Red blood cells and in our energy levels.  It is obatined via diet but you can get your blood tested for B12 and B1 and if low it can be replaced.  They used to have it only in injections but now have B12 tablets.

B12 and B1 help the body function correctly and if the levels are down you can see great fatigue and muscle aches and nerve problems, and it can make you feel headaches and poor decision making.  Also worth saying is Vitamin D which really helps muscles and bones.  In women we lose it after age 30 and we lose the ability to get it from sunlight as we age.  So have B12  level and Vitamin D level and B1 level done.

Once it comes back and it can take about a week on the Vit. D level, then your doctor can advise on how much to replace.  I take Vit D supplements also.  I also do a multivitamin daily.  Since we take thyroid meds, do not take these together, make sure 4 or more hours has gone by before taking.  Thyroid meds must be taken alone and on an empty stomach.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly, I'll get some B12 and see if it makes a difference. I can't get a doctors appointment for 2 weeks, and I think I'll be permanently asleep by then! Also going to try taking my Thyroxine at night as I hear that might be better for me.

• Posted

Hi Jackie, there's some information out there that thyroid disease is linked with B6 and B12 deficiency, possibly due to inability to process some forms of B vitamins. You can try coblimated B complex and see if this helps.  You can find coblimated Bs online pretty easily. 

Since this is something someone else in my family tested positive for the genetic defect, I just always buy coblimated. (My insurance will not pay for the genetic testing.)

• Posted

Thanks Catherine, I'm going to try the B12 first, and if that doesn't help I'll investigate the B6.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.