Feeling sorry for myself

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am going to lung doc in a few weeks and hopefully starting pulminary rehab. But all I can think is: you are 29 yrs old, you idiot, you ruined your life and now you only have 15 yrs left, maybe. Sorry for the pity party, I just needed to say that.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What are your simptoms? When were you diagnosed with COPD? I'm kind of in the same boat with you here buddy.. it's ok, you get use to it, kind of. I had the same thoughts two years ago, exactly at your age. And still have. But life is going, quit smoking and you'll be fine.
  • Posted

If you stop smoking and live healthy you'll have many years left, I know what that feeling is like though I was making myself have panick attacks by thinking the way you are I didn't have another fag after my diagnosis and I feel a million times better and that's only been a month looking at my kids was enough to stop it would have been selfish to have another one...YOU CAN DO IT
    • Posted

Hi Louise21112:

I used to have panic attacks also, it's been months since I've had one. 

I wasn't making myself have them I was having them because  I couldn't breathe!  Being diagnosed with COPD is not the end of the world, as many older people on this forum will attest to.  Stop smoking and try to have a positive attitude.  There are many people on this forum with valuable info, tips, etc.  You will be fine Bluberripenguin.

• Posted

Well that is what a panick attack is, your obviously struggling with your breathing so you start over thinking and make yourself have one that is what I ment and my info is valuable as it's my experience of the illness
  • Posted

I don't get this. Have you been diagnosed with a lung disease as you are very young to be diagnosed with COPD.   And what's all this about 15 years?   x

• Posted

Hi,

Please don't think I condone smoking but I am a filthy smoker and I started when I was 10 years old and I'm now 70.  I enjoy my ciggies, I am addicted to them and of course it's a habit.  I was diagnosed with asthma in 2001 and I didn't go to the clinics for reviews.  However, in March of this year I was told I had COPD after being tested and I had sciatica and was prescribed Co-codamol and I later found out that they should not be taken by the elderly (which I will not admit to being by the way) or to patients with breathing problems.  I was very poorly and lost a stone in weight.  I have now recovered and after having my inhalers changed, I feel better than ever and rarely have to use my reliever.  I still smoke 20 ciggies a day as I CANNOT give up but what I'm trying to say is that docs have to blame smoking, they have very little time to give their patients, but there are many other pollutants, mostly traffic fumes and rape seed pollen to name just a couple. Don't despair, COPD can be controlled, I certainly live a normal life but I have to say I don't suffer as badly as most people on this forum.  Do give up smoking of course.  You are very young and you have certainly not ruined your life.  God Bless and I wish you all the very best.

• Posted

Hope you feel better after saying that smile

It was a pity party going on in your head for sure and not only that you were feeding yourself inaccurate negative input, definitely not advisable

Hope all goes well with your PR, if you haven't already been tested, check with the consultant or GP if you can be tested for alpha1 antytripsin deficiency, and definitely kick the cigs into touch.  That way you improve your chances of living beyond 'your pity' expectations as you will have a better quality of life than those with COPD who are still smoking have.

Best wishes V

https://patient.info/health/alpha-1-antitrypsin-deficiency-leaflet

• Posted

Its not the end buddy. Science is advancing with a fast pace, the way things are moving I am sure that we will have a cure for this pretty soon in next 10 years. I have read a lot about stem cells and the potential they have. Just hang in there and we all will see the day when we will breath easy again.
  • Posted

Hi Bluberripenguin, Feeling sorry for youself won't help your situation. In fact that will probably only throw you into depression which would take a toll on your condition. I have been seeing a pulmonologist for 2 years for COPD. I was diagnosed in 2010 at 42. All I can say is first if you smoke...QUIT. Follow your doctors instructions and use whatever meds/inhalers your prescribed as they are prescribed. If you have COPD I know it is a progressive disease but staying healthy and following your doctors orders can/will slow the rate at which it progresses. I see my doc every 3-6 months and am on 3 different inhalers. Thankfully I am not yet on oxygen. I still look forward to waking up everyday. I don't dwell on what might be in the future. I enjoy what I have now. I am almost 48 and I still intend to be around for awhile smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.