Feeling upset

Posted , 11 users are following.

There is a Facebook page called Surviving polymyalgia rheumatica without prednisone.  And a person posting that she cured herself by following a very strict anti-inflammatory diet.  When I tried to get more information (how long had she been ill, how did her recovery progress, etc) she took offense.  I had suggested that if her recovery had been a genuine recovery from PMR she should publish a paper because there are thousands of us who could benefit.  So now I feel a little sick because she took offense and refused to answer my questions.  But what if she is right?  But I know she can't be, not for the majority of us anyway.  And by advocating this method she may be endangering people at risk of GCA.  

0 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would have thought they would have been happy to share their experience and not take offence if what they say is true! Please don't upset yourself over it.
    • Posted

She did describe her diet, but I felt I needed more information about her condition when she started, how long the recover took, that kind of thing.  I mean, I'd love to be off prednisone and feeling well, even if it did mean having to drink a green smoothie every day and give up tea. wink

• Posted

She may have felt you were questioning her - remember how hard it is to make people understand how bad this thing is when you 'look well'? 

That said, it IS dangerous to tell people that they shouldn't take pred. 

I wouldn't worry about it, she clearly has her own demons. 

• Posted

Thanks!  And yes, today I had a conversation with someone where I mentioned this thing about "looking well."  My friend has IBS and has to get regular infusions for that, and even she just chuckled and said, "Yes, you do look well." biggrin
  • Posted

I agree if I had managed to cure my PMR with a diet and no pred I would be shouting it from the rooftops. I do find people like that can be very dangerous as often they know very little about the illness from a medical point of view and may stop people taking the medical path. This often happens with people with cancer who are told they don't need chemo for example.
  • Posted

she sounds a bit loose in her boots to me if you asking questions made her defensive......But unless there is monetary gain, why would she ever want to keep it a secret??

I followed a food plan for 2 months--anti inflammatory: no GRAINS, no alcohol, no DAIRY and no SUGAR. I lost quite a bit of weight and felt great. My husband quit snoring, didn't need to use his Neti pot in the a.m. and peed less at night! I was however in such pain from my hips that needed replacing, it did not diminish pain and certainly would be hard to say the impact on PMR.

I will say that i have no sx of PMR currently( following my surgeries)(I am on 3.0 pred) and I would not hesitate to resume that diet and see what the outcome was.  I have to be able to get about and be able to cook a lot though in the early days because you have to have some things prepared.Not there yet!! ( I am not sure persuading my husband will be easy though.)eek

• Posted

"I am not sure persuading my husband will be easy though"

I already cook 2 meals most nights, he is so restricted in what he will eat and most of it I can't eat - the thought of anything with more than 3 lines on the ingredients just turns me off - we go out for that sort of food!

And that from someone who until PMR would have described her main hobby as cooking and baking...

• Posted

That's a relief. I used to enjoy cooking and baking but now I  find it more of a chore that has to be done! I have no idea how you manage to cook 2 meals most nights. I can summon up the motivation to make a choice of dishes (with difficulty) when I have people coming for a meal and that's only occasionally nowadays.
    • Posted

Solely by ignoring anything requiring effort or thought! Mercifully though the only vegetable he eats is chips (I know, don't go there!). I eat salad by the ton and roast veggies. Very good at doing fish in the oven in 10-15 mins (for me) while he has a burger or bacon or whatever. He had fish last night - Findus fish in sort of batter to oven bake is even available in Italy! The fish counter in our large Spar is superb - have never seen anything to come within miles of it in the UK, even on the coast, and we are nearly 4 hours drive from Venice with a lorry!

OH had cancer 21 years ago - lost a lot of his sense of taste or it altered due to chemo and now won't eat most of the things I used to cook beforehand. He also had great difficulty swallowing things like pasta and rice. He survived what should have been terminal for 21 years, who am I to argue about what he'll eat? 

• Posted

That makes sense. Chemo does, sometimes, alter ones sense of taste and I have been told by many of the people with whom I worked that when undergoing chemo they had a metallic taste in their mouth which affected everything they ate and drank. I understand why your OH is eating something which he finds palatable. I could live off fish and veg. My grandmother was the same. I live with someone who enjoys fish but likes his meat! It must be wonderful to have such a great fish counter though I think it is improving in some areas of this country now.

• Posted

I would give it no thought. If I cured myself I would tell the world and I do.

Just today at my mom's condo I was talking to the head office and it somehow came up that I'm disabled and they said no way. We do look great and especially since I'm tanned from being away. Educating people on the disease and the drug is important. They couldn't believe I couldn't move months ago.

So if she took offense I say why, what are you hiding. So don't give her a second thought.

• Posted

On another forum we had a woman from the southern States somewhere who insisted she was managing her PMR with diet. She must have spent all day creating it! Even I couldn't have a) coped with the shopping b) done the preparation c) afforded it here in Europe never mind find half the stuff. And, no, online shopping for food isn't an option here that anyone living on a pension could even dream of. It's a bit better in the UK but the stuff she was telling us to eat was not cheap, not least because it had to be organic she said.

When we asked her to please stop being so aggressive to anyone who asked a question or said it wasn't an option for them she became quite abusive and we had to block her in the end. There have been others with similar claims of ways to manage PMR who have also become very nasty when you ask questions. So the response from the Facebook person isn't un-typical.

A lady in Edinburgh told us she too was using diet and - initially - said it worked. She lost a tremendous amount of weight despite being slender to start with though so either it wasn't this PMR or the diet was poor. At a later stage she did admit she was in a great deal of pain, had had to stop working and then never reappeared. 

A study did show that half of patients with RA could achieve great relief from their joint pain by sticking to a very strict vegan diet. Any deviation from it, introducing even a very small amount of dairy protein, resulted in a return of the joint pain. It also only worked for half of patients - what the difference was wasn't identified. PMR isn't generally joint pain. 

Both MrsO and I had to manage PMR with no pred, she spent much of a year in bed, being taken to hospital appointments by ambulance because she couldn't get there any other way. Eventually it burned out for a while only to later return and progress to full blown GCA.

As someone has said - if you have GCA that is affecting cranial arteries then you need pred if you don't want to risk going blind. Permanently - I have heard people claim they got some vision back but it is pretty much impossible since an area of the optic nerve dies. Nerves rarely regenerate. Unmanaged GCA in arteries in the trunk put you at massive risk of later cardiovascular problems - diet won't achieve that degree of relief of inflammation.

• Posted

I did that very restricted diet, though at first I was still drinking red wine until I lost my taste buds.  My PMR pain has always still been there, every single day! Been over a year.

Lately I've just missed tasting yummy foods I've given in. Holidays got me started... Yeah, I feel more pain.

Rheumy had me on 1500-3000 mg of Curcummin, but I think that helped mess up my stomach along with the Pred. Sometimes I'll take just 1 capsule of Curcummin and it makes my acid reflux worse. 

So... I think she was just one of the lucky ones! wink 

• Posted

Thanks everyone.  I'd been wondering if I had made a terrible mistake, although deep down I know I'd had no alternative but to go on steroids.  I won't leave that FB group because otherwise I think I've been able to make some positive comments, but I'll definitely avoid the evangelists from now on!
    • Posted

I have no objection to someone saying "This helped me" and telling me about it. I have no objection to someone disagreeing with me as to whether something I found good for me worked for them. But don't get all "born again christian" about your option or mine. And if you have said "this is the way and all other is wrong" - be prepared to discuss it and explain it without getting huffy.

No Anhaga, pred is not a terrible mistake. It is the mainstream medicine management option - which for GCA is the only answer to avoid loss of vision. And the only proven way of managing severe PMR that is currently available. It works - diet doesn't reliably. And when diet does "work" after several months - there is no proof it was the diet that made it go away. PMR goes into remission spontaneously and there are other things that look like PMR but aren't and don't last as long. PMR responds to pred pdq!

• Posted

I certainly share your second guessing about the decision to take Prednisone having ended up with AVN in both hip joints!! And my ortho doc wants me off it badly now for sure (as do I) What they don't get is that "a light narcotic" (his suggestion for tx) does not address the stiffness and pain. Remember how you couldn't move due to pain? I don't think we ever truly had a choice if quality of life was in the mix. But I am certainly going to gently push the time table as best I can. AVN also attacks shoulders, ankles, knees. Gawd.
    • Posted

Yes, Gail, I know what you mean about "gently pushing".  So far I've done well.  I am aware that things can turn around very quickly and think I'm alert enough to be able to head a flare off at the pass, so to speak.  I've gone from 15 to (nearly) 6 mg since intital diagnosis in early June '15 and think this is really good and I am happy about the progress.  The thing is, I've also done everything else I can think of (short of a complete "anti-inflammatory" diet as promoted by the evangelists) to change my lifestyle and reduce factors that might be contributing to inflammation.  I figure the lower the maintenance dose of pred obviously the better, but I'm quite reconciled to being on a low maintenance dose for the duration.  I hope there hasn't been any sign of AVN in your other joints?  
    • Posted

There is not really any way to detect AVN until it is at a dire point. I'm told. MRI might show it but often doesn't. I have no pain in other joints.

saw rheumatologist today. (first time since AVN dx and my surgeries)

He believes Pred did cause my AVN (just bad luck) and endorsed my plan to continue to reduce. He agreed there's no way to know if the PMR is gone in any other way. He suggests a fairly rapid clip, down .5mg  every 2 wks with a close eye on symptoms. I may or may not go quite that rapidly but I am going down. Fingers crossed. Here I go!!!!

• Posted

You can do it!  Find out about all the anti-inflammatory foods you can, and give yourself the best chance you can!  
    • Posted

I think if you go at that sort of pace you won't know because you will almost certainly develop steroid withdrawal rheumatism - which can be so similar to PMR you don't know which it is. It often takes a couple of weeks for the symptoms that to resolve, for some people even longer, so you risk not knowing at what dose the PMR symptoms return.

I do realise why you want and need to reduce the dose but there has to be a happy medium.

• Posted

Thanks, Eileen. I appreciate your thoughts. Dr. specifically said he didn't think I would experience steroid withdrawal. But if he said why he thought that I missed the reason.

I was at 4.0 Nov 30, date of my first surgery. Dropped to 3.5 after that and stuck there till Jan 20 (2nd surgery) when I tapered to 3.0.

How soon would you try 2.5?

I am terrified to go too fast and set "something" in motion but also terrified to develop AVN in some other joints since it was pretty damn unlikely ("rotten luck") to develop it in the first place.

• Posted

Another person where MBChB comes fitted with a crystal ball! They're all over the place!

There's no reason at all not to start trying to reduce asap if you are feeling well - but I wouldn't go at 0.5mg every 2 weeks at this stage - not just because of the withdrawal aspect but also to allow your adrenal set-up to keep up as it has to get its act together too. I'm OK at 4mg but half way to 3mg using the dead slow and nearly stop approach I am so tired it isn't true! 

On the other hand - if you drop the 0.5mg and DON'T have any immediate pain you probably aren't getting steroid withdrawal problems. My reservation then is that if you drop again so soon then you can't see if the PMR is flaring up at that dose.

Obviously I'm not going to say it's unlikely you'll develop AVN at these low doses - never say never - but the risk must be a lot lower now surely?

• Posted

Yes, one would hope the risk would be nil. But my risk was never high. I never took over 10 mg. They wanted to start me at 15mg when I was dx'ed and I asked if we might try 10 first and it knocked it right out. Gradual taper over 2 years to now. Dr. said it's folks like me that keep them humble. i.e. remind them that bad things can happen on this drug. So glad to serve..... (deeply sardonic tone)

I am still on (1) 7.5 Norco post op about every 6 hours. Sometimes 8. That wouldn't mask PMR sx would it?

• Posted

Don't think it usually would - though I seem to remember someone somewhere used something similar because she wouldn't/couldn't use pred. 

You have a doctor who admits a bit of humility comes in handy? Hang on to him!

Yes, it always makes it feel better when they've made a mess and you serve as the educator rolleyes   Like me when I was given the wrong abx to go with Medrol and spent 9 months on crutches. Which I was doing fine on until someone insisted I needed a statin - 7 days of that at half dose almost had me in a wheelchair...

• Posted

cry indeed!

and I agree with you. I really do not fault my doctor at all but that doesn't make the path forward any clearer.....courage!! Onward!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.