Feeling very cold while taking warfarin

Posted , 8 users are following.

I always feel cold from the inside and this in turn makes me feel poorly and irritable. Is there anyone else who has experienced this?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there titania

I was on warfarin 17 years ago after suffering a pulmonary embolism (had an emergency c-section)

I don't recall any side effects other than my stubbornness to continue shaving my legs :oops: and the blood would trickle down my legs :shock:

Anyway, I've done some searching on the side effects of warfarin and found this for you, I hope it helps put your mind at ease about the coldness you are experiencing.

Quote:

What side effects can this medication cause?

Warfarin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

gas

change in the way things taste

tiredness

pale skin

loss of hair

feeling cold or having chills

For further information (Click Here)

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi there Titania

My mother is on warfarin and always complains that she feels really cold all the time. As you say too .... feels cold from the inside ....

Have bought her a really warm light weight fleece to wear around the house.

And she is really IRRITABLE!! (OMG I must try to be more patient with her :roll: )

Thanks Melbi for the useful info.

• Posted

When my mother was put on warfarin and friend, who was already taking, told me to warn her that she would feel cold.
  • Posted

[quote:72255dc26c=\"titania\"]I always feel cold from the inside and this in turn makes me feel poorly and irritable. Is there anyone else who has experienced this?[/quote:72255dc26c]

I also feels this way, more so in this cold damp weather and I also am ratty!! No one has explained any of these symptoms to me nor the aching knees and shoulders, lack of energy and hair loss which is also happening to me. It is all very stressful I think

• Posted

I was prescribed Warfarin after going into AF after a heart valve replacement in May 2012. I don't get cold but soon after starting Warfarin I began to get pain in my weight bearing joints...hips, knees and feet.

I stopped warfarin eleven moths after a cardioversion put me back into sinus rhythm and in about three weeks my joints were all right again

At the end of November last year another medical procedure (Colonoscopy) put me back into AF and I was again prescribed Warfarin. Soon the joint pain started again and is now probably worse than when taking it before. I am now back in sinus rhythm  since having had a cardioversion in March.

If I want to walk, sit and lay down pain free I must stop it again.

Whren I stopped it previously my GP said that I was the third patient that week to have done so.

In my case the newer anti coagulants are contra indicated because of the AVR.  

• Posted

Yes I get very cold. Am going threw a very bad patch at the moment. This is the worse bout that I have had

1. deep cold, feet like ice blocks

2. when realy go to bed and pile on he blankets

3.need the central heating on, plus thermal vest, dress under slip. thick winter cardigan. plus a double blanket around my knees

4 Hot soup or hot ribena.

5. Also suffer from falling asleep

6. sleep at least 6 hours each night

7. get the odd time when I am over active but thyroid OK

It is good to know that it is not all in my mind but others suffer also.

Have other medical problems.

Warfrin levels going crazy at the moment for no good reason

• Posted

Been on warfarin for 3 months and yes I feel cold most of the time
  • Posted

Been taking warfarin for 3 months for a condition called artial fibrillation. This allows blood to linger around the heart and can cause blood clots. At first I experienced quite severe pains in my head and some dizzyness. The worst thing now is I feel cold most of the time.
    • Posted

It is quite a common side effect. Someone I know wears a heavy overcoat even in summer.
  • Posted

Yes. My husband got very nasty while on warfarin. Not violent, but never stopped the verbal nastiness.

He also suffered from cold...something he'd never done before...and bleeding eyes, blood blisters, aching joints...the list went on.

After three years of hell he eventually got an appointment with a consultant who first of all gave him Riveroxiban. This was even worse then the Warfarin...so a month later he was put on Apixaban. So far he is fine on this.

• Posted

I Have been asked by my doctor if I would change my medication from my

present blood thining tablets;  Clopidogrel 75mg as I get the same side effects

feeling cold from the inside the same as ( Warfarin).I Have been asked to take 

( Apixaban) Anticoagulant) can any one tell me if you get the same side effects

feeling cold from (Apixaban) this is a new medication in tablet form

may not been checked  for this side effect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.