Feeling very stiff & sore first thing in the morning

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hoping to get some help from the kind people on this forum.

Had both hips replaced 6 weeks ago and in general was making good progress.  However, I am waking up very early in the morning in a lot of pain and very stiff. I am still sleeping on my back because I cannot lie on either side due to them both being operated on.  The

pain runs from my lower back right down both legs. I sleep with pillows under both knees and one under my lower back.  I take 2 co-codamol last thing at night. Not sure if the pain is a consequence of the operation or because I am having to lie on my back. I have always slept on my side.

I saw the physio on Thursday and she said it will just take time and hopefully once I can sleep on my side the pain should go.  I was also a bit worried as she said my walk was not right and my knees are turning in and I am limping on one side quite badly.  I told her this was pretty much how I was walking before the operation and she said maybe it was a case of relearning how to correctly align myself.  She has booked me in for a weekly exercise class at the hospital which should help.

I also mentioned the referral scheme to the gym where you get a gym trainer to work with you for 10 weeks. She has sent the forms off for me which I am so happy about. I know I am going to need extensive exercise to help me correct my walk.  Has anyone experienced this scheme and if so has it helped?

i am so anxious to get right as walking is my great passion and my husband has said as soon as I am ok we are going to book a break to the Lake District to do lots of walking.

Hope everyone else is doing well and any advice from anyone would be greatly received. Xxxx

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Summertime, you dont have to sleep right on your back, you can prop yourself up in bed on a wedge of pillows, like being in Hospital raising up the bed a bit, I used a Vee Pillow at the back then placed 3 pillows against it in a wedge shape then sat in bed , then lowered my self down to a comfortable level, still not on your side but wedged up in bed,  made things more comfortable foe me, and I slept like that for three weeks the first hip opeeration, I had one at a time done.

I also put a pillow under my operated leg as well, helped ease the pain, but I took 2X50mg Tramadol as painkillers, I think they are stronger than CoCods.

Keep in touch Ian.

• Posted

Thanks Ian.  I will certainly take your advice and give it a try by wedging myself up with pillows. The trouble is that I am a terrible fidget which drives the old man (who is also an Ian) mad. He keeps accusing me of snoring as well so I think I might try the spare room for a while experimenting with pillows as you have advised.

Can I just ask you about Tramadol.  My 83 year old mum had a bad fall a couple of weeks ago and they prescribed Tramodol for the pain but she heard something on the radio the other day saying they could be highly addictive.  She swears by them and reckons without them she would be in agony. I told her not to worry.  Have you heard anything similar.

cheers

• Posted

Yes I have heard that they can be addictive, but that is for people who abuse them, I have been on them for the whole time, as I found Naproxin gave me sweats and a fuzzy head, I just use them when there is pain, T most I was on 6 or 8 a day, but now only 2 in the day and 2 before sleeping, Junkies will take a handful all at once, and then hallucinate, silly really, but there you are, they are a very good painkiller and I would never dream of abusing them in any way, some folks are a bit judgemental about the use of such an imfamouse drug, but my GP has no worries about prescribing them to me. Keep in touch.

Kind regards Ian.

• Posted

Hi Summertime,I only had one Hip done,and most of us have trouble sleeping,sometimes I would go all night,then get out of bed at 5 o'clock and get washed and dressed.I use to take 4 lots of 2 Paracetamols 3 Ibuprofen,and another stronger pain killer,I tried Tramadol and Morphene but they both made me feel sick and Claustrophobic,I am ten weeks post op,and have just been to the Gym and don' take any pain killers at all,but in the first few weeks you need them,just try a few and see which one you get on with.Also I think it would be a good idea separate rooms,anyway all the very best to you Love Michael.
    • Posted

Thanks Michael. Good to know that 10 weeks post op you are at the gym and free of painkillers. I think it is just about giving it time. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Good morning summertime ..

so sorry to hear about your early morning woes .... at 6 weeks you are still early in your recovery - and having both hips done will take a lot out of you -

especially now that you are walking more and being more physically active ... 

poor muscles are working hard to keep you balanced and it takes a lot of effort to do so -  I know that my walk/gait is still so off ... had RTHR in March 2015 and on list ti have Left one done - not helping of course in walking properly - 

sometimes i feel that a good massage will help to lenghten the big muscles and instead of ice I prefer some heat on my back - 

I hope you will get your trainer and that he/she is knowledgable in regards to Hip replacement .... 

for now, take it easy and be gentle with your self - take deep breaths and relax all your muscles ... 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Summertime, 

when i was taking the higher strength Co- coda mol, I used to take one with one paracetamol before bed and lay out another one to take later when I woke up for a week. I worked out that if I split them, and had second one between 2 and 3 a.m. I could sleep longer and not be so sore when I woke up.  

• Posted

Thanks Laura.  That's a good tip. I will give it a try. Never thought of splitting them.   I must admit I am getting through a lot of co-coda mol so I will give it a go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.