Felling worry

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have a colonoscopy on Tuesday ,any advice.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Follow the instructions sent to you about what you can eat before, when to stop eating and when and how to take the colon cleanser.

The following is what happens at the endoscopy unit I go to. On the day, an endoscopy nurse will go through paperwork with you, explain the procedure and take you to a room where you undress and put on a gown. If you have opted for sedation she will put in a line for the drugs. You will then go into the theatre and get onto a bed. If you are not having sedation then you will be offered Entonox (gas and air) which will help calm you if you feel nervous. There will be a big screen which the endoscopy team use to monitor the procedure and you can watch if you wish and ask questions. The tube carrying the camera is then inserted into the rectum and slowly guided around the colon. It can feel a little uncomfortable but I have never felt any pain. (I have had three of these). The team will be taking photos of any problem areas and biopsies (again this does not hurt). If there are polyps they may remove them there and then. The whole procedure takes about 30-40 minutes. You will then be taken to a recovery room. I have never had sedation so I don't know how long it takes to come around from that. As I don't have sedation I just get dressed immediately and have a cup of tea. The doctor will be doing a succession on procedures so won't have much time to discuss what if anything they have found but you may get a diagnosis there and then and a drug prescription if necessary. A nurse will then give you some instructions about how to look after yourself for the rest of the day and a number to call if you encounter any problems or have questions. If something is found you will be sent a follow up appointment.

Please don't worry about the procedure. Even if you do find it unpleasant, it doesn't last long and better to find out there is nothing wrong or, if there is something wrong, to get a diagnosis and start treatment.

If you want to look at a video of the procedure search for Lynn Faulds Wood and colonsocopy. I won't post a link as it will put his post into moderation.

I hope this helps and best wishes.

• Posted

Hi,cjb106

How was the colon cleanse. Were you in the bathroom all day. I panic when I can not get to a bathroom I am of having an accident. How was the stuff they give you to drink?

• Posted

The drink I had was Moviprep - thickish with an a citrus taste. Not pleasant but hold your nose and it will go down. You have to drink several doses over a period of hours. In my case it usually takes about two hours for the first dose to start working and then I go to the bathroom about every 30 minutes or so. I usually start taking it mid afternoon and the colon is cleaned out by 10pm or 11pm so I'd advise taking an afternoon off work if you can and staying near a bathroom.

• Posted

Great reply from cjb! I've had only one. Very little pain and result given as soon as they finished. (All ok, 1 year check after bowel cancer surgery.) I was wide awake and quite chatty, I was given mild sedation. Just follow the instructions and don't worry! 

• Posted

Glad to hear you are ok.

I just have some Entonox as it makes me giggle and my voice goes really deep (the opposite of Helium) so I ask questions in this funny voice which makes me giggle more. I have ulcerative colitis which is monitored regularly because of the risk of bowel cancer - although I read that the risk to UC patients over ten years is only 1% higher than those who don't have UC.

Have you see the Lynn Faulds Wood video? Hers was also a check up after a skirmish with bowel cancer.

• Posted

They give me two pills to take and three bottles for cleanse . The day before I take the 2 pills and drinkone and half of the cleanse. On the day of 4 hour before I drink aother one and half bottles of cleanse. 30 Oz in all. I do not know if I can drink all of that . Now if my procedure is on Monday is it a good idea to eat light all weekend and no meat. Then liquids on Monday. Can you have suger? (Maybe I will not go to the bathroom to much.
    • Posted

Yes, I'm doing ok. Now 38 months after surgery and all blood tests, CT scans and colonoscopy good. I'll look for that video. I don't know what sedation I had, but I couldn't stop talking and commenting on the screen pictures. They were probably glad when it was over. Maybe I should ask for Entonox next time, which will be the end of this year! Keep well. wink

• Posted

That's a different system but you must do exactly what the instructions tell you to do and drink ALL of the solution. The instructions from the hospital should also tell you what you can and can't eat. if you need more guidance do a search on "what to eat before a colonoscopy". There is a comprehensive list from the Whittington Health Trust which is helpful. You need to avoid "high residue" foods and that includes high fibre foods, fats and tough fibrous meat. These end to leave a residue in the colon which is harder for the cleanser to shift. if you eat light then there will be less waste to remove but you do still need to drink all the solution.

• Posted

They said I am allowed tea no milk or cream. I wonder if I am allowed iced tea (green citrus sweetened iced tea)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.