Femur rod removal advise needed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys,

So just over 2 and a half years ago I broke my left femur right in the middle. I had a metal rod and three screws put in place and they've been there ever since. However it has be causing a lot of pain ever since I got it. But since being diagnosed with glandular fever in December 2015 I've struggled a lot with fatigue, and when I'm tired my leg hurts more. So basically, my leg had been getting more painful (and weaker due to extreme fatigue) so I spoke to my gp who thought I had tendinitis and referred me to a physiotherapist. My physio discovered a hole in my muscle and decided my muscles were weak and tight and that was causing some/all of the pain but wanted me to see a consultant too to be certain it wasn't the metal work causing pain too. So I saw the consultant and he took x-rays and concluded that the rid might be causing pain and that my knee is unstable. So I'm having the rod removed next week and I'm terrified. Has anyone been through the operation whilst ill?

How long roughly will I take to recover?

Will I need to hire a wheelchair? Or will crutches be OK?

Just any information would be incredible. Thank you. Also I'm a 19year old so everyone always said I'd recover quickly

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello yes you will need a scooter..wheel chair or crutches. And u will have downtime are least 6 weeks. Hope u have a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. When you say 6 weeks down time will all of that be off work as I've only booked two and a half weeks off.

• Posted

HI, I'm a 71 year old female and in April 2014 I slipped in the garden and broke my femur mid-shaft.   The next day I had a rod and screws inserted, spent a week in hospital then the next seven or so months full weight bearing and was told that the bone had healed.  I still limped a bit and had pain or more like aching in it for some time after but that eventually disappeared.  What was troubling me was the crunching and grinding I was getting where the top screws were sticking out a bit and then the bottom screws were causing my tendon to flick over the end of the screws, causing a noticeable moveable lump which was also painful.  Seventeen months after the break I had an operation to have the rod and all the screws removed.  HOWEVER, when they came to take the rod out the bone had grown over the end of the rod so they said it would be a much more complicated operation to try and take the rod out so they only took the screws out.  It was instant relief as far as the crunching etc. went and apart from a little bit of discomfort and soreness for a couple of weeks there was no problem and my walking was much more comfortable straight away. They went in through the original scars and just placed a small dressing over the wounds. I didn't need a wheelchair or any other appliance to get around .   IF you have the rod removed you will need longer to recover but I'm sorry, I don't know how long or how bad that would be but it will obviously be worse if the rod is removed rather than just the screws so just be prepared that they may not be able, or want, to take the rod out.

• Posted

Thank you so much Spindles! The crunching that you talk about is something I suffer with too, but my doctors kept telling me it was normal and it would go away on its own. However, it's just getting worse. I'm so glad to hear that you had your rod removed mainly because of that. I felt silly moaning about something several (more than 10) doctors had said was normal. Something in me knew it wasn't normal. And the pain can be awful. Thank you so much for your help.

Take care of yourself 😊

Eede

• Posted

Don't forget, I didn't have the nail/rod removed, just the screws.    If you Google femoral nail screw removal you'll see that it's a very common thing and some people have had great success after screw removal.  There's a scientific paper which talks about a lot of pain felt by people due to muscle damage etc. so perhaps that's what you're experiencing.   There is a risk that the femur will break again when the nail is being taken out which puts you back to square one.   By the way, before the operation I was given the choice of having the nail and the screws removed under local anaesthetic - I agreed but then they changed their minds and I had the general instead, thank goodness.  One thing I noticed and I think may be quite a common thing , I believe my broken leg (left)  is slightly longer than the good one as I suddenly developed  a callous on the bottom of my left foot where my weight was going more onto that side but putting a thicker insole in the right shoe has helped to even them out a bit. I spoke to someone else who said their leg was a different length to the other one.  Your operation must be very near, if not done by now so I hope that it goes/went well and that your pain will have gone.

• Posted

My operation it Thursday so I've got a few days left to go. But thank you for your well wishes. I've had a look at a lot of posts online. Some have been really useful 😊 hopefully they can take it all out as my whole thigh is painful. Thanks for your help x

• Posted

I have a 9-year-old son who had the surgery 8 months ago. He has occasional pain by the scars near his knee and we are considering whether to have the surgery to remove the pins.  I'm curious how it went for you?  

• Posted

Hi Ed, I had a similar kind of surgery by fixing a rod into my thigh bone along with PCL fixation and have 5 screws totally. It's just been about 4 months and I struggled a lot with knee stiffness but got the knee bend restored till 115 degrees. I want to know if it is really necessary to get the rod and the 5 screws out after 2 or 3 yrs???? If removed, do I have to go through the knee stiffness problem and the physiotherapy for it post removal surgery as I could not bare the pain that I had while I underwent physiotherapy !! Please suggest me

• Posted

Hi Edd i broke my femur back in 1979, they put me in traction for about 16 weeks then got me up and started hydrotherapy and then started walking with a zimmer frame ,well out of hospital for about 6 hrs then it broke again ooch, they then put the nail in.the last few years it has caused me some pain ,so i went to the doctors he then referred me to a consultant had xrays and they said that it will have to be removed, which they did last week,i am on crutches and very frightened about putting weight on it, but all ok at the moment ,a-little discomfort, they did say that i could be of between 6-8 weeks hope this helps.
  • Posted

you've gone through the major problem so thank God (femur is healed and ready to use without implants). i removed the rod and screws from my femur after they were put in 2 years ago. Doctor says 6 weeks post operation is enough time to heal and get back to work. im currently 2 weeks+ post op and i feel better although I've only just removed the stitches. you will be fine. make sure you take all medicines you're given. best of luck. Dont forget take your crutches with you to the hospital.

• Posted

Hi there, 6 months ago i went out for a ride with hubby i had just got my motorcycle license and bought myself a dyna, i hit an unforseen pot hole and crashed broke both my legs severely, my left being the worst with a high femur fracture that affected my hip , 3 ligaments replaced with cadaver ligaments my miniscus my tibia, i had jaw fractures shoulder, and many other injuries but my biggest problem now has been the hip pain i have with the rod they placed in my femur, it seems to protude through my butt cheek and i feel a popping sensation when i bend to grab something they state they left the rod sticking out of the bone on the top about 2 inches do to them not being able to push it farther down the bone do to me having fixaters in the way, so this rod is causing pain, discomfort and i cannot lay on my left side nor can i sit too long without pain, i want this thing out but im also just so scared ive had a total of 12 surgeries and im so done with so much, but i also cant live with this, before thos accident i was at the gym 4-5 days a week 2 hours a day i want to go back to that i miss it,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.