Fentanyl withdrawal is inhumane

Posted , 53 users are following.

I am currently on day 22 of a fentalyl detox ... after the forst 3 days of punching my self in the face and wanting to end life a drup called lofexidine took away a percentage of the pain. It takes 16 weeks to get righ again if your renal system has not been damaged by the dependence. I had a year of chemo, radio and surgery in 2011 causing this to be prescribed  and this withdrawal experience has bee worse than that entire year. Fentanyl should only be used in palative care or to end of life use, If you can stand the paranoia , innumeracy, and alarming spending habits it creates. Actually I never found it to be a great painkiller but its hard to admit during the intial euphoria it creates. which you quickly get used to. DONT TAKE FENTANYL it is so pure and strong it will destroy your natural happy systems forever. The NHS knoe how to prescribe it but no idea how to get you off it, Forget the fliue like withdrawal systems its brutal and dangerous and flue very pleasant by comparison.  I hope taking the time to do this stops just one person taking.

7 likes, 253 replies

253 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I wish I'd read more on fentanyl before I started using it.  My GP said nothing about problems with side effects and the potential of horrendous side effects.  I'd only been on 25mcg a week when I startd with violent muscle spasms and couldn't control my arms and legs.  I stopped using the patch, thinking since I'd only been on it a week it would be easy.  I went through 24hrs of writhing, sweating, crawling skin sensations, flu like symptoms and crying and feeling suicidal before I called the GP, who adviced I go back to 12mcg.  My symptoms improved but I still have less violent muscle spasms despite having  increased my dose of oxcarbazepine to it's maximum and feel so depressed and cry at the slightest thing. And of course my pain is back.

I so wish I had never started on the fentanyl.

I plan to give myself 3 clear days when I don't have any responsibilities to try coming off it again and I just hope and pray I've got the strength to do it this time.

Wish me luck

Diane X

• Posted

Good luck Diane !! 

Please dont leave it too long before Detoxing as the stuff is so pure it will eat into your systems. You may also need a few more days to deal with some fatigue. There is an old hypertension drug called clonodine which can help numb the withdrawal and prescribed for hot flushes in females. It is similar to lofexodine which i used but that a 15 day detox. Im on day 33 after 3 years ob stuff ... terrible day today after 3 quite good ones... whicshing you luck

Harvey

• Posted

Diane,

I sure can relate to what you have said.  When I first started on fentanyl (75 mcg patch) I was up the woods camping and after about a week I realized I was not acting quite right (not eating, running in to town for no reason, just kind of out of sorts) so I thought to heck with this...and took the patch off. That night was from hell, the spasms I experienced were like nothing I have ever had, it scared me to death, I was alone and thought it would never end.  After taking a handful of valium had no effect, I put the dang patch back on, and now, 15 years later I am trying to take my dose down from 100 mcg every other day to every 3 days and it has been so very hard, I never expected this, I have been trying now for about 6 months and after I hit 60 hrs and my legs start the barest twitching I run for a patch.  I know that makes me sound like a sissy, but I am damn scared of those spasms.  I think if I actually tried to completely get off the patch it would kill me.  I would want to be in a "real" hospital (no drug/alcohol clinic, thanks) with very compassionate docs who would not be afraid to make me comfortable.  And, worst of all, I depend on my hydrocodone (vicodin) to control my pain.  The only reason I wear the patch really is to stop any withdrawal symptoms and that, I think, is a travesty.  I am sure no one knew about fentanyl withdrawal when I started it, or if they did, they didn't tell me.  I hope you can find those 3 clear days and can have someone with you and you succeed in getting off this horrible drug.  I have found great support here, and I hope you will check in from time to time to let everyone know how you are doing with your quest.  I think this is the only place you will get some truth about it, and good advice.  We are the face of fentanyl withdrawal, and it is not a happy face.

All the best to you.

Leigh

• Posted

Hi Diane,

OMGosh that happened after just 1 WEEK of being on Fent patch? That entirely answeres my question Ive been plagueing this forum with!

Thank you and good luck & stay strong! You can do this!

Kim in Arkansas (US)

• Posted

Hi

i am on it for 19 years i started cold turkey almost died went from 100 mg to 50 to 25 to non and i am ready to hang myself  my right side is nimb pins and needles i am sick as a dog with no help not pills nothing to help me at all 

i want to put the patch back on but i wont i think getting off is doing more harm then good 

dose anyone get out alive?? i am not sure how much longer i can go on this way its is so bad i am pulling out my hair 

please someone help 

• Posted

Hello billytom,

First of all, I may sound like I'm repeating myself as I say this often in cases like you, but....19 years is a heck of long run of use to come off the patches. Can you give some background?

Why are you coming off? Is it through choice, or are you forced to, or other reason?

What was the time-span involved? I mean, from your usual dosage, you cut down by a half. Then for how many days/weeks did you go, before cutting down again by half, etc?? This is really important, because, (especially without the help of some short-term substitute, like another weaker opiate or a benzo just for a while) that is a very steep reduction. After 19 years, many people cut down at much more gradual pace.

The short answer to your main question is, YES, virtually everyone gets out alive ( there are a few reported cases of tragic deaths, but I don't know the proportion. I'm pretty sure it is very, very low.) I, like many others I'm sure will agree, OFTEN wanted to die while coming off, or even just if I run out, or ran low, for some reason. But it is so important to hang in there and see it through. It DOES get better. If you relent, and put a patch back on, you may have come a long way for nothing! You may even be near the end of the withdrawal, and put yourself back to step one! That's  why it's important to know how long you've been doing this.

As a minimum, follow the basics that get repeated over and over here : stay hydrated!! Many people find cola and other fizzy drinks are best as the sugar helps. Try some excercise, no matter how light. Try and distract yourself with funny books, movies etc. And perhaps most important, have someone with you, through this. If not someone physically there, then keep posting these forums. Post updates, questions, anything. Many people here will reply to try and help. And if things are intolerable, or you think you are really, very unwell then always consider the emergency room.

I hope this helps even a little! Please post again, to update, and say how you're doing!

• Posted

hello Leigh

I understand exactly what you have been going through. Just reading your post has brought me to tears as I have just experienced 2 and a half days of full withdrawalls with running out of patches completely (over the weekend with no access to any patches until monday afternoon). I have been in partial withdrawall 2 or 3 times in the past but was able to catch it in time and get fresh patches from my doctor. those partial withdrawall experiences were unpleasant enough with twiitching arms and legs and a feeling of being poisoned. The experience of full withdrawall though, with no access to patches was absolutely horrific. The twitching arms and legs turned into full blown uncontrollable spasms, like convusions, writhing around in agony kicking my legs and arms wildly moving around, mental thoughts of being in hell with no mercy and no relent. I was screaming into a towel all the time my limbs flying around and my back arching and contorting. Without exaggeration it was like being mercilessly tortured. Eventually after two days my neighbour heard my screams and drove me to the surgery where I was prescribed more patches. I have stabilised now the fentanyl has got back into my system but am completely traumatised and don't ever want to experience that again. It is actually worse than pain, which I am no stranger to as I have Crohns, the reason for being on these evil patches in the first place. I am fearful now that if I ask the docs to get me of the fentanyl they won't fully appreciate what this stuff does to a human being and will trivialise it. My dose is 75ug every 48hrs. How are you doing now trying to cut down from your 100ug ? Like you non of this was made known to me by my pain doctor when they started my on it. can you recommend any tactic for me that might help ? I am so frightened.

Scott

• Posted

Scott,

It has taken me 5 months to come off the 100mcg patch every 72 hours. The worst part has been the past 3 weeks. I've been Fentanyl free for 15 days today. If it wasn't for the people on this support group I never would have made it. The reason I had to get off was my dr decided that he will no longer prescribe pain meds to anyone. You are right on about the restless legs, arms, body. There's no way you can just stop. The people here taught me how to taper and that's what got me through. I'm glad I'm off though specifically for the reasons you mentioned. Making sure I had the patches ordered by the dr and the pharmacy ordered and filled them on time was getting exhausting. My dr was no help through this process but finally saw a neurologist who IS trying to help with the RLS. Still having issues but a little better. Still not sleeping very well if at all. But I'm just 15 days out.

If you decide to get off we will be here for you.

Melissa

• Posted

Wishing you all the best diane,i think we should have been told about these side effects by our doctors,not worth even goin to bed because i went eight days without sleep only building up the nerve to try again but iv 2 more operations coming up so dont know what to do

• Posted

Hi my friend 

Doing betterI want to say think you fir your post it helped me a lot 

I won't ever go back on the patch . I started just ripping my face the patch after 8 days I was so very sick my dr told me to go in 50 mg for a week that turned into 2 weeks so off came the patch I just took myself off with the help of pain pills and my daughter face into me so I can get all to my grandkids 

I live for my grandkids they keep me alive . 

Also I watch TCM I love Thebes's old movies I also looked at old photos 

videos of past holidays and as much happy times as I can 

I won't lie to you I still feel very sick after a year maybe to the pain pills if I withdraw off them what do I  Take? I wish the dr never started me on this 

I was put on after I broke my neck and had bars screws plats etc... and m fighting cancer for my 3rd fight it  Is posting like yours that gives me great hope so thank you again I did come very close to death a few times I am happy to be alive today . In between the hell of getting off th S poison my dear brother after getting off his drugs hung himself aslong as he was on drugs nothing could bring him down he lost his wife and keeper him self together until he went off drugs then it hit him and he could not deal so he took his life . I miss my both brothers everyday my older brother was killed 2003 I also lost my daughter years ago feels like yesterday. Thank god for support like yours and so many other god bless you all please post back to me love to know how you all are doing 

we can win this fight 

god bless you all 

• Posted

Sorry about the spelling 
    • Posted

Don't ever apologize for the the spelling - I know what you mean.  

You certainly have been through alot of loss.  My own brother was a Registered Nurse that was a prescription drug addict.  He died too, so I definitely feel your pain.  He was in rehab when he OD'd.  

The one thing is, YOU'VE stopped the cycle!  And you can make such a difference in the lives of your grandchildren.  You have a lot to be proud of and going for you.  Keep focused on those kids.  You've already overcome so much.  And don't worry about the pills, unless of course you're abusing them and I don't get the feeling that you are.  You KNOW for a fact you aren't going back to where you came from.  

Stay in touch and let us know how things are going, and, if you have any advice for any others you see us posting to, by all means jump in!

Hugs!

• Posted

I agree Diane I actually looked online and asked questions like will fentanyl decrease the years of my life? Can it cause organ damge? I tried to do the homework and could not find the answers to those questions.  I have been off 4 weeks and have zero energy and zero quality of life but refuse to go back on. If I were a dog they would put me down. Fentanyl is deadly and should only be used for end of life care. I send you strength and wishes for success. I know it's hard.

• Posted

I ronically TCM movie channel has been my saving grace as well. It calmed my nerves and took me to a more peaceful time in life. It was all I could watch. I am so sorry for all you have been thru. I pray that you can stay strong. I can relate to that as well. In the midst of my hell my brother a ship captain, was kidnapped for 18 days by pirates in Nigeria and he came home with severe PTSD , now on disability. It seems like when it rains it pours. I describe the last 4 years of my life as a freight train barrelling thru without a engineer to slow it down. I send you strength and hope life has gotten better. Blessings to you.
  • Posted

It definitely gives you the worst constipation ever! I now have a full rectal prolapse and will need to have my colon removed through my abdomen to fix it, because of the severe constipation messing up that particular area of my body. Stay away from Fentanyl!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.