Fever and chills

Posted , 9 users are following.

Experiencing major flare tonight. Woke from my sleep with fever and rigours and hurt from head to toes. Anybody else experience this very often?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is it a flare? Having PMR doesn't excuse you from catching the flu or a bad cold - or any other infection. I'd suggest checking with your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Kimberley

a few months ago I had similar symptoms and thought it was a flare. I went to My GP and diagnosis was a viral infection. So I agree with Eileen see your GP particularly if you have a fever.

cheers

Kathy

• Posted

No Drs offices open here today. I've had this happen 3-4 times before pred and infections were ruled out. Tiss the season for flu however so I'll get Rheumy to assess me at Mon appointment.
    • Posted

Kimberly, before I was diagnosed with PMR I would have flares like that and it would send me to bed. Slight fever <101, and chills and pain throughout my body. my rheumy said she never heard of that, now i know that's what it was. it was not the flu as it would pass within 24 hours. the last to leave would be my pain in the arms and shoulders and="" chills="" and="" pain="" throughout="" my="" body.="" my="" rheumy="" said="" she="" never="" heard="" of="" that,="" now="" i="" know="" that's="" what="" it="" was.="" it="" was="" not="" the="" flu="" as="" it="" would="" pass="" within="" 24="" hours.="" the="" last="" to="" leave="" would="" be="" my="" pain="" in="" the="" arms="" and="" shoulders="">
    • Posted

Yes Judy exactly. It's such a strange disease. I should not have decreased my pred when I know my GP hasn't got a clue about the treatment for PMR.
    • Posted

Could anyone describe a typical flare for me, please? Not sure whether my persistent headaches and neck pain are a flare?
    • Posted

There is no such thing as a "typical" flare. That is what makes it all so difficult - nothing is 100% typical and there are no really accurate tests. Even when someone is having a flare it is not always the same as when the disease started out. One way to explore which some doctors use is raising the pred dose again to where you were last fine or by, say, 5mg and see if it helps significantly.

If you are someone where the blood markers were raised originally then checking them at intervals is essential - particularly when you are reducing the dose. Often you still feel OK but underneath the markers are creeping up, possibly still within a "normal" range but higher than they were last time and the time before. That is a danger signal. On the other hand, a single raised ESR/CRP shouldn't trigger a kneejerk reaction of increasing the dose - unless it is accompanied by symptoms that are suggestive of a flare.

• Posted

UPDATE: Turns out my fever and chills are related to my PMR. Had levels checked yesterday and they are sky high again despite 20 mg of prednisone.Rheumatologist called to notify me and increased my dose to 50 mg and have levels rechecked on Monday. Said since I didn't respond to 20mg it's safe to say I have developed GCA. So concerned he gave me his personal cell number. So much for the Rheumy I saw in Sept who basically said I was too young at 49 to have PMR in the first place-GRRRRR. Thank God for my family and this forum cause I'd be in the nut house otherwise.
    • Posted

On another forum I have just answered a question from a 23 year old with typical GCA symptoms other than raised ESR/CRP but the doctors are saying can't be GCA because he is so young. He's had all sorts of procedures done - wisdom teeth out, sinus op etc etc. The only thing that has made a difference: a Medrol pack which relieved the pain after 3 days and it returned after he stopped taking it. 

In my response I quoted this reference: 

Giant-cell temporal arteritis in a 17-year-old maleIraklis I. Pipinos, MD,  Russell Hopp, DO [correspondence] [email],

William D. Edwards, MD,  Stanley J. Radio, MD

In 2006 they said that in the previous 30 years there had been 13 reports of GCA in under 40 year olds and they found this 17 year old. It isn't common - but it happens. They aren't looking for it so probably don't identify it. I had scalp pain, jaw claudication and double vision. They either disappeared or went at 15mg pred. There are a few people on the forums who it has been decided have GCA in the aorta, but only after them being sent for something called PET-CT - a CT scan with a chemical being injected that is taken up by inflamed tissue. It isn't done routinely because it is expensive - but I suspect if it were done far more often they would find a LOT of GCA in younger people.

• Posted

Hi Judy

ive woken up today with the chills and my jaw is sore and I have a few aches and pains. It's such a strange condition to have. I have that fatigue feeling again too. 

• Posted

Hi Kimberly, yes I have experiened just what you describe, just the once though and I am on pred a full year.  I was too ill and didn't have the energy to get showered or dressed to get to an appointment, so just had to ride it out until I felt able to get to see dr.  It was some type of bug/virus I guess and it cleared up after 3 to 4 weeks.  Good luck.  Regards Pat
    • Posted

If this is same as I've previously had it usually clears itself within 24 hrs. Let's see if I feel so ill tomorrow, I hope not as I have to drive to Edmonton to see rheumy.
  • Posted

Are you feeling better after your 24 hour flare? That is how it would affect me. Do you have any allergies, food or otherwise? I have a theory about our "flares". I have a gluten sensitivity and used to ignore it and eat things with gluten in it, thinking "so my nose runs and I cough a bit" not realizing that it was affecting my inflammation level in my body. I think that additional inflammation pushed me over the edge to my flare. Since I realized what was happening, I'm paying close attention to what I eat and have not had one of those flares that put me to bed for 24 hours.
    • Posted

Yes the fever has gone and the pain is not as bad. You could be right about allergies. Stress is a big factor for me as well. I lost a dear friend and coworker on Thursday at the ripe age of 52 to due to heart attack. I'm still in shock I think. Heading to see Rheumy now will update later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.