Fevers of unknown origin for 2 months

Posted , 8 users are following.

At first I thought I was coming down with a illness of some sort. Two weeks of fevers, chills and sweats, fatigue, and extreme tiredness no other symptoms made me start fearing the worst. My husband started nagging me to go get checked out after two months of constant fevers. went to the er. They could find nothing wrong. They tested me for hiv, AIDS, hepatitis, and mono, all negative,  they also did tests for bladder , kidney, uti, infections, those were all negative.  My cbc was determined normal. A few days later I had appointment with my familydoctor. Told him about thee fevers ranging 99-102 degrees f,  chills and sweats. He was baffled. My red blood count was normal as well as the white. He decided to do a sed rate. The sed rate read as 12 mm/hr.  So that was normal.  A lot of cancers and auto immune diseases run prevalent throughout my family.  So I am beginning to get worried.  He put me on a two week course of antibiotics with a cbc after one week of antibiotics. Duracef is the antibiotic. The Cbc along with urinalysis is showing abnormal now. My red blood cell and my white blood cell are normal but have dropped to the bare minimum of what's Normal.  My urine creatinine is low.  Amylase and lipase are high now. And my urine urobilinogen is very high. My chest X-ray was clear.  I have been having high abdominal pain that radiates through my back. Does any one have any idea or clues that may be wrong that I should bring up to Doctor?  I'm I'm going on three months of fevers and becoming very exhausted!

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am very interested in your case, as I have been sick for some time. I just recently have been having low grade fevers, which scares me. Hopefully someone on here can be of some help. 
    • Posted

I Am very worried about pancreas and liver problems. I recently had a uncle pass from pancreatic cancer my grandfather has pancreas attacks often. 
    • Posted

I am too, as my LFTS have been high for months. My GI stated he wasn't worried about my liver however. I am having an endoscopy and colonoscopy next month. What is an ANA, and what does it involve?
    • Posted

Ana is a anti nuclear antibodies test. It is a test to help determine if some one has a auto immune disorder. It doesn't diagnose which or what you have so other blood tests will need ran if you have a positive but it is a clue. But you also have to get them and read in a certain window of time if you have a disorder. Some are during a flair up while some is dorectly before or after. So having them repeated helps as well. It detects antibodies that msitakenly attack good proteins. 
    • Posted

It it is just another blood test, I think non fasting. 
    • Posted

Guess what? I had an ANA, and I got results in the mail today. My neurologist ordered it and had the results sent to me. My ANA was positive at 1:80 and states it is Homogeneous. My creatine kinase is 18 and states it is low, vitamin b12 and folate say in range normal. When I looked that up, everything pointed to Lupus. Any clarification? 
    • Posted

Hi, Debbie, I'm so glad you got an answer to your feeling so bad. I thought the ANA test might answer you questions. Your symptoms sounded so much like autoimmune disease. Your results pretty much say Lupus. I have Lupus too. Sometimes just getting a name to why you've felt so bad helps alot.

Kristyk

• Posted

You positive ANA can mean other autoimmune diseases too. Sjogrens, Rheumatoid arthritis, etc. But I think its like over 90% of positive Ana is Lupus.

Good luck and God bless you,

Kristy k

• Posted

My doctor read mine was normal at 1:80 I wonder what the difference is! I Iam hoping you are closer to a answer! I'm so glad you got this test done. 
    • Posted

What kind of lupus do you have kristyk? Yes, I am seeing a new GP this coming week, and either she needs to do something with the info, or get me in straightaway to a rheumatologist to continue the testing, as this has gone on long enough! I suspect I have organ involvement, since I have esophagus, digestive, and kidney problems. I am pretty scared. What did your doctor do for you after your diagnosis? What meds and other things did you have to take? 
    • Posted

I saw that, and I don't know the difference, there shouldn't be any. You need to have the test again, and you can find the range levels online. What was your creative kinase level? Do we even know what this is? 
    • Posted

I am not sure if I had that ran will look through and see
    • Posted

Hi Debbie. I have SLE. I get treated as my symptoms develop. I'm given prednisone,aspirin. My Rheumy sees me every 3 months and does labs. I have kidney issues so she checks that out. I get lots of bladder infections so take lots of antibiotics. I have gastro problems so get colonoscopies and endoscopy's quite often. I try to get lots of rest, stay out of sun and prevent stress as much as possible. I'm given pain meds when I am experiencing pain. Sometimes I find it necessary. I suffer from insomnia and take Ambien. If I have muscle pain in given sons. I have asjogrebs, raynauds, fibro and neuropathy, vasculitis and hypertension. My Rheumy has been my doctor since 1990 and I trust her and she knows me so well.ive been very lucky. I just try to take care of myself and listen to my body.

God bless u

Kristyk

• Posted

Typos sorry. I have sjogrens, I take soma for severe muscle pain. I hope u understand what I posted.
    • Posted

That's a lot of things to be burdened with, I am so sorry. I feel like if I'm diagnosed with Lupus, I will have several different issues and organs involved. Did you also suffer with back or neck pain? Esophagus issues? Muscle weakness and weight loss, no appetite? Woke up this morning with horrible neck pain down into my back! It just never ends! Managed to shower and do laundry today, so more than usual. Hurting bad though. Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. 
    • Posted

Yes to all of those. Do you have fibro? Today my neck and back hurt so bad. If I'm in a flare especially. Sometimes my pain will move to a different place like my legs my bladder. Its called transverse of pain I think.I need to check for sure. There are days its hard to get out of bed. Some days I just stay in my pajamas. The fatigue is a really difficult part for me. I had my last problem with my esophagus when I choked on food and had to call 911 and took me to ER. I've had reflux problems. Some days that are good I tend to overdo and pay the price. Take care of"you" that's important.

God bless you

Kristy k

• Posted

I don't know exactly what I have, haven't been officially diagnosed yet. I seem to have a different problem ever week, at least. I, too, stay in my pjs most days. Yes, crashing fatigue, feel like I can't swallow a lot of times, and bad reflux, even though I'm on nexium. I sure hope one of my doctors does something soon. I'm miserable! I'll try to take care of me, you do the same. Thanks for all the info! God bless you too dear😊
    • Posted

Hello!!

First of all im so sorry that you are felling this way, and I hope you will soon get some answers smile

Also wanted to ask you to keep us updated,

I also have very similar symptoms as yours, and the low grade fevers, I have been in and out the Hospital since September 2015 and I still don't have an answer.

My ana came 1:160, any ideias??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.