Fibroid pain & treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Was suffering from horrible pelvic pain, eventually sent for ultrasound – during the wait the pain moved to right side mostly. Just been told today that I have several small fibroids. Doctor said treatment is basically get a mirena coil or contraceptive implant. I just had the mirena removed in July as I was bleeding every 2 weeks and felt very hormonal with it.

18 months ago I had similar problems but the pain was higher up, in the area where my appendix used to be. Multiple liver cysts were spotted back then, some as big as 5cm including my gallbladder, the others being inumerable. There was debate whether the big ones were hemangiomas or adenomas but I was told not to take the pill & reduce hormone intake. The doctors don’t seem to recall this however…

I really don’t want either the coil or the implant. I aked about sterilisation and was told they don’t do it so much now in the UK as it’s got a higher failure rate than the coil!? Am also worried the pain, still in the upper area adjacent to my belly button might not be related.

Could the small fibroids really cause all this? Would you press to see a gynae? Whilst I am glad they might have found what's causing me pain, am really glum over the treatment options...

A

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I have many fibroids mostly small and suffered pelvic pain. I personally would not want a coil fitted. I was referred to Gynae and researched Eysma tablets and asked for them. Took them for a 3 month period twice with a gap of 2 months. Touch wood I have been OK and they have helped. The results can be longer lasting after you stop them.  I did also have a submucosal fibroid removed via hysteroscopy under general.    I think you should press to see a gynae but then don't be pushed into anything that doesn't suit you. Many of them recommend hysterectomy so don't be alarmed it is not the only option. Research everything and find what suits you.     P.S How did they know you have the fibroids did you have an ultrasound? scan,  If not ask for one.    Good luck  

• Posted

Hi shell,

Yes I had an ultrasound 30th Dec and got a call Wednesday. I asked if they were big, the doctor just said the report said 'several small fibroids'. She didn't really go into much detail, but when I had the scan the sonographer asked if i had problems with my bowels so am wondering where they are.

I will likely ask to see a gynea, it was a big decision for me to get the coil removed and i really don't want to back down that route.

A

• Posted

Hi there,

Although there is no known reason why Fibroids grow, the grow faster in young women.  

Fibroids can grow on the inside and outside of the uterus and can cause pain.  The submucosal type will grow inside the wall of the uterus and they can cause bleeding which doctors usually think is your period.  It's not.  The only way to remove submucosal's is thru hysterectomy.  Other fibroids can be removed surgically.    

Google everything you can on them.  Because they grow back.  They feed off the blood that flows to the uterus keeping it healthy.  And when I was on birth control the hormones from the type I was on accellerated the bleeding and they grew more after I stopped the pill.  I'm now on Fibristal (hormone treatment) to shrink them.  Women have had them grow back after surgery, hormone treatment and focused ultrasound.  

Research has found that fibroids grow less often and at a slower rate in women who are physically active, eat healthy (less processed foods) and have a healthy body weight.  Fat cells carry estrogen which affects the rate of fibroid growth.  Stands to reason that my excess body fat is not helping me any in this battle.  So I am trying to throw a few stones. (pun intended.)

Absolutely get to a gynacologist. There is hope and treatment.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.