Fibroid removed now awaiting biopsy results!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 45 and had my 10x9x6cm fibroid removed vaginally 3 weeks ago. When first diagnosed in sept 2014, my pap was normal, 2 ultrasounds only showed 1 fibroid, ovaries normal as was endometrial lining.  In Aug 2015 my MRI showed that my fibroid had prolapsed through my cervix and was hanging by a stalk in my vaginal cavity, this is why my fibroid was removed vaginally without incisions under a GA. I was told that my biopsy results were faxed to my GP 18 days after surgery which was 4 days ago, but my GP hasn't called me in, so I am hoping that means good news. I have made an appointment for 5 days time to discuss my surgery etc. How did anyone else recieve their biopsy results? Phne, letter face to face and how long did you have to wait? Thanks x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trudy I can't speak from experience as I am still waiting for surgery, but I would have thought if there was a question of malignancy you would have been called in for immediate treatment. Cancerous fibroids are incredibly rare, but extremely aggressive, so it would be strange if you had something wrong and they waited to take action. You would probably have had your uterus removed by now if that were the case. Best wishes, Rosie
  • Posted

Hi Trudy.

I had one large fibroid removed vaginally in July and was told I would only be given biopsy results if there was a problem.

I had another hysteroscopy in September as my symptoms had returned and found out I had a cluster of small fibroids regrown from the original site. I was told the biopsy of the original fibroid had been clear.

I'm now waiting for a hysterectomy and feel I've been forgotten as it's been so long!

I hope your treatment goes well. I just want all this finished now.

Good luck

Tracy

• Posted

Thanks for your responses ladies. I remember being told vaguely after my Op that it was normal to send the fibroid off to be checked and that I would be sent a post op appointment for 3 months time if all was ok. I received that appointment 6 days after my surgery and its for 29th Feb 2016. I was just a little concerned when my consultants medical sec called to say that all my surgery info including my biopsy results would be faxed to my GP and she wanted to know if i'd like a copy sent to me too, I said No and she didn't push for me to agree to have a copy. I haven't heard anything from my GP, nor have I had another appointment sent to me, so I guess all will be revealed on Wednesday. I would like to think that if the faxed report showed anything to worry about, my GP wouldn't leave it 9 days until I was told as that's when my my already booked appointment was made to see her before the results came back. I will update. Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi I'm having the same concern. I just got diagnosed with a 4.6cm which is little less then 2inches Subserosal fibroid on the outside of my uterus. I have changed my diet but still concerned if what if it's cancer? Should I request for it to be taken out ? I think I'm a give it about 2mos and if it don't shrink maybe give it more time but if it grows I will get it out.. What other options are there? I really don't want to be taking medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.