Fibroids and bleeding

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have a rather large fibroid, 13x3x12cm. My consultant prescribed me eysma in October which I took for 3 months. I had become anaemic because of really heavy periods and prolonged bleeding. Eysma stopped my periods but unfortunately has not shrunk the fibroid. I was under the impression that the effects would last 6 months, but my periods have come back just a bad as before. I am now experiencing spotting nearly every other day and not sure how normal this is? See my consultant in 3 weeks so don't want to bother my GP. I am sure he is going to suggest a hysterectomy and from previous discussions, this will involve a vertical cut because of where it is. Has anyone out there experienced anything similar? 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was also on Esmya for 3 months pre-operation. My fibroid was pretty big--almost the size of melon or equivalent to 5-6month pregnancy so could be bigger than yours. Similar to yours, no bleeding/period while I was on med. But again similar to you, bleeding came back the same level as soon as I was off the med. I didn't get spotting but was told that periods can be irregular afterwards. So what you described seems to make sense.

I noticed one thing though. Hysterectomy sounds a rather drastic--did your doctor suggest alternatives, like embolisation or myomectomy?

• Posted

hi there lesley, smilar to you also my largest fib is 11cmx11x11. i just ended 3 months of Esyma and due to have myomectomy next month. I was told that the Esmya if is going to work will do in 3 months. Not had a period yet, does it come a month later or just totally random ? its been bliss not having a period as mine were so heavy needed a blood transfusion.

i am in my 30s with no kids. Have you had kids, is this why you were told a hysterctomy. i have heard of a partial hysterectomy, that leaves the ovaries.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, I have only one fibroid and I can feel and even move it around through my abdomen. My period came about 6 weeks after finishing my meds. I have one child but as I am 45 don't think I would conceive again, mores the pity. My consultant did mention a form of radiotherapy to try and shrink it but no other surgical options have been mentioned, basically I got the feeling that at my age I may as well be given the hysterectomy although I was assuming I'd keep my ovaries. Something I will be discussing with him next month
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

I had esmya prescribed for three months for heavy bleeding and fibroid. My consultant said once you've had a period after the three months there is an option to have esmya for a further three months (as it's licenced for 6 months overall). Not sure if this would help shrink the fibroid but would give you time to decide on next treatment option. As my fibroid was not as big I have the option of ablation, but decided on hysterectomy as seemed a bette long term solution (48 now and not planning any more children). This will be done via keyhole surgery. You may also have option of myomectomy so would discuss this with your consultant. I don't think hysterectomy is necessarily the only option for you. good luck!

• Posted

Hi Lesley, it's me again. It is entirely your choice whether you have your ovaries removed or not if you have a hysterectomy. The only time the consultant would recommend this if there is already a history of cancer in the family,
  • Posted

Hi lesley1605, I'm 5 daysfresh out of myomectomy for 17cm fibroid. I had to search hi and low for a doctor which would give me options. And had experience, knowledge and willingness not to rip everything out. It wasn't easy. As for fibristal I was on it for 9 months, with breaks in between. For me it stopped the bleeding but it only went down 2 cm. my period always returned in 3 weeks. Good luck with your appointment and wish you well. If I had to do it all over again I would have had it removed at 8 cm when it was first found.
    • Posted

Hi , i wish you a speedy recovery. i am due to have myomectomy next week, how are you feeling ? I am 3 weeks since my last Esmya tablet and feel very achy like i am going to have a period. 
    • Posted

I had a laparotomy (bikini incision). It was to be laparoscopic but too much bleeding and difficulty with removal of soft fibroid so they had to open me up. But i still have all my bits, so thankful as this was important to me. Meh, a few scars vs.a grapefruit in my stomach, not to mention all the other effects, no biggie! I feel pretty good even given the complications. The first couple of days tired and felt like I was punched in the stomach. By day 3, up walking...soooo important to get moving. Now if only my bowels would movesmile they just removed my drain and it looks promising to go home soon. I'm so thankful to see the demise of my fun little friend. Though I'm still tired I'm super excited to get back to normal, my 'new' normal. Hope everything goes well, ask if you have any other questions and let me know how it goes.
    • Posted

thanks thats really cheered me up, that you feel well.  i can't wait to get Lucifer (aka the grapefuit size fib) out. try lots of veg to get the bowels moving
    • Posted

Did you get the bowels moving ?. i bought myself a cheap smoothies maker for under 20£ and been making quite tasty smoothies. Got some almond butter from Tesco also on special offer, been using all sorts of combo's fruits, spinach , honey, almond milk.
    • Posted

Yep...6 days later on the morning of my release! I love the fruit smoothie thing and especially with spinach. I thought I had lost my appetite, that lasted a day.   I'm almoat 2 weeks post surgery, feeling pretty good. In fact, if I was allowed, I'd be at the gym! My only thing right now is that I'm having some post surgery bleeding... Not quite spotting and not a full bleed. I wonder if it is my period as it is due about now? Wondering if anyone else bled after surgery? Can't find too much info on this. Only that it's bad if you soak a pad. Mine definitely not that bad. also, my incision sites/skin are itchy! Did you have your surgery yet?
  • Posted

I'm going to pay for my operation as soon as my credit card application has been approved. If it's not approved selling either car or motorbike. Can't wait for NHS :o( esmya doing nothing for me other than giving me heartburn, feeling sick & very tired !

• Posted

thats a really bad situation you are in, but  sometimes you have to do what needed when it comes to your health. I had really bad chest pain, like heartburn and the reason was extremely low HB to the point where i needed a blood transfusion. My GP insisted it was indigestion until she got the blood test result. Get a blood test if you have not already had one. 
    • Posted

Hi - I wondered if it was because I had eaten oranges - it says on the package avoid grapefruit.

Sorry if I seem dim - what is low HB ? I have blood test booked for a week tomorrow....

Earliest date even private is 8th April as he is out of the country & then on holiday for a week :o( so another month of no sleep...........

• Posted

could be the oranges they give me heartburn,

sorry was typing in shorthand, its low hemoglobin. If you have a blood test booked thats ok. i had really bad chest pain for a week, would come and go, eventually gp sent me for a blood test and thats when i found out that my ferretin and hemoglobin were low. My chest pain was bad at night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.