Fibroids and sever constipation help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey ladies! I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with severe constipation from the fibroid pressing on the bowel which I think is what's happening to me! Plus if it helped when you had a hysterectomy? I'm down for a partial one! It's getting me down and making me ill! Thanks smile.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Severe not sever
  • Posted

I think it all depends where the fibroid is sitting, which in yr case sounds like the cause. I have the opposite with frequent weeing as my fibroid is sitting next to my bladder.

Im looking at just having my womb removed but am finding it hard to make the decision 😕 although it's probably the right one.

Best of luck with yr op.

• Posted

Oh god my bladder is half the size on my scan Elainey! I'm always seeing!! Haha! Yeah I'm having my womb removed I was thinking twice but I just need to be able to go to the loo!! Had enough now!!

• Posted

Have you been taking iron supplements or opiate-based pain killers? Because that can seriously block your system. It's possible it might be the fibroids, but I would look into other possible causes before you do something as extreme as surgery. Iron sups and pain meds are often prescribed when you are diagnosed with fibroids and imo it can cause a whole new set of problems.

Best wishes, Rosie

• Posted

Thanks Rosie I'm all over my diet and supplements and take ironlmin liquid form so it doesn't make me worse plus this starrred before taking any iron. I never take opiate based painkillers 😃. I have lots of fibroids, one being 10 cms 😩 Last year my uterus was the size of a 16 week pregnancy! 😮 Ugh!

• Posted

Hi Karmaway,

Yes I absolutely have the same problem as you - and I am waiting for a full hysterectomy. Consultant told me that my uterus is taking up the space in my sacrum, with large fibroids pressing on my bowel. I am taking strong laxatives to keep things moving and yes I am having to take strong painkillers for the pain in my back and tailbone which doesn't help! My uterus is so heavy it can't move as it normally would when you do a bowel movement - I was told it was kind of wedged where it is - with the fibroids below it! Not worried about having everything removed - as I went through the menopause at 30 and have been on HRT ever since - so just getting rid of that useless baggage would be a major relief to me!

I try to drink 4 pints of water a day - eat things that move things along - like dried apricots and sweetcorn - and orange juice with bits help too.

Would add if I do get really bad constipation it does pass eventually - but with a bit of pain and a lot of patience - if you know what I mean!

• Posted

It's awful isn't it Glennie! I feel for you I really do! Not sure there's anything worse! I am constipated 21 days out of the month ugh!! Thanks for the advice! I drink castor oil this may help you too? 😃

• Posted

I am on 2 satchets of movicol a day - so I think castor oil would be a bit overkill!!! Doctor advised me to take this religiously to keep things moving. I have used this laxative in the past - and i would just need one for a couple of days - and it would sort me out. Now if I don't take it I can't go at all. I know its a bit TMI but I am passing toothpaste as nothing else would get through! I would chat to your doctor if you are having real issues there!

• Posted

That's exactly it Glennie!! No room at all, I am the same! I'm worried that if I use laxatives too much it'll damage the bowel? Make it lazy in the future? Tried senna, laxido and docusate ugh!! Maybe I can try movicol for a bit though thanks x

• Posted

Hi Karmaway,

You have had laxido - same as movicol - same as cosmocol too - all the same active ingredients. It's lesser of the evils in the land of laxatives - as it helps the bowels draw water so things will pass more easily - and can be taken long term as it doesn't make your bowel lazy - I did some research when I found I would need to be on them all the time - and if I don't take them - I know about it! Have you found you have lost some sensation in your bowel too? I don't seem to get the same 'fullness' feeling I used to get - and I have to concentrate really had to pass anything!

• Posted

Hi karmaway I have one fibroid too which has become big during my pregnancy now my little one is 1 but I wee a lot is that normal with fibroid and what should I do?thanks
    • Posted

Hey there Samy it may be worth asking your GP to refer you to Gynae again and maybe a scan? ♥️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.