fibroids and weight gain

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have just been diagnosed with fibroids after year ignoring heavy periods etc until i started to flood and could not leave the house at the time of my periods. one fibroid is very large and i am now waiting for a hospital app to see gyno. I am concerned about weight gain though, i have lost 3 stone since january but this is slowing down, could this be due to the fibroids?? as i am large lady i could not see difference to my stomach but have read lots of stories from women who have looked 6 month pregnant!! i am going to continue with weight watchers but will have to work even harder to lose weight if the fibroid is growing. does anyone know anything about this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth,

First of all, you need to separate your weight loss goals from your fibroid issues - one has nothing to do with the other. The reason why some women can look 6 months pregnant, is because the fibroid itself is growing, not because they are gaining weight. The reason why your weight loss is slowing down is probably because after losing 3 stones, you are approaching your ideal weight (and congratulations on that!).

My advice to you would be the following:

1. Do your research on fibroids to understand what they are and how they can affect you. It sounds to me like your fibroids are inside your uterus, hence the heavy bleeding. Explore the various procedures that ddoctors use to remove fibroids, especially if you want to maintain your fertility.

2. If a doctor tell you that you need to have a hysterectomy, find another doctor. That should be a last resort. There are many other treatments out there!

Just to give you added comfort, I have had 2 fibroids on the back of my uterus for over 5 years. During that time, I managed to lose over a stone and went to the gym consistently. Due to the location of my fibroids, I had a slight paunch, but at no point did I look pregnant. However, this was due to the location of my particular fibroids - every woman is different. I say this just to reassure you that there is no link between the fibroids and weight gain. I recently had my fibroids removed via laparoscopic myomectomy because of the pain caused during exercise.

Good luck with your appointment. Knowledge is power, so do your research so you can ask your doctor the right questions and understand your options. All the best!

• Posted

Hi Beth,

Just read your concerns and Janedoeshus experiences. Hope all is well.

I have a large multibulated fibroid uterus with large and small multiple fibroids ( some are within the uterus and in the middle of the uterus.Symptoms are a bloated tummy ,heavy periods and pressure on the bladder,aneamia. I have heard about Uterine Artery Embolisation and Keyhole surgery. I am scared and do not know what to choose.

Please ,if experienced , what are the benefits , risks and can I keep the uterus after these procedures?

Please help!

Thank you very much.

• Posted

The truth is your weight gain is directly effected by you fibroids. The large imbalance in your hormones that the fibroids create causes weight gain especially in the abdominal area. When your pregnant your estrogen and progesterone levels rise. This is what causes your body to gain weight even before you are aware that you may be pregnant. Consult your Gyn and ask them for a nutritionist that specializes in hormone imbalance and weight loss. The good news is as you loose the weight it may help to reduce the fibroids. Studies show that weight loss in women directly effects the size and reduction of size in fibroids. Call your doctor and discuss your options. I'm dealing with the same thing and this was what my doctor told me. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.