fibroids, back pain and constipation - Bah!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Here I am again - woken up at 5am with a screaming bad back. Having a 'lie in' seems like a distant memory. I am stuck in a vicious circle of taking pain killers to ease the back pain - but they can cause constipation, and taking laxatives - because my fibroids and uterus are sitting on the nerves of my back and my bowel. I am now having to stop my pain killers so I can maybe go to the toilet - or maybe not! I try to eat roughage that won't get too hard to pass - as I know my bowel is restricted - when I do go it's like toothpaste - I can't seem to pass anything bigger.Anyone out there got any suggestions? I'm at my wits end!!!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I know it sounds of odd but I take olive or castor oil before bed? Also avoid the painkillers that give you constipation! Plenty of water too! Sorry to hear you're suffering 😩

• Posted

Hi Karmaway - I know you have similar issues. Gynae told me that my uterus is so heavy and is sitting in my sacrum - on top of my bowel with large fibroids - he says when you move your bowels the uterus is supposed to move to allow the bowels space - mine can't - it's too heavy! I have to try to keep things moving as smoothly as I can. Trying everything I can think of as well as taking liquid laxatives and dulolax tablets GP gave me last week. I am eating all the things that usually make things happen. I limit my painkillers - so I will only take them for a couple of days when the pain is so bad I wouldn't be able to function. I can only describe that as being kicked in the lower back by a very angry horse! This last few days has been the worst in a long while. I could actually still feel pain through the pain killers! It's bareable today -so I will give them a break. Sometimes I can take both and things work. Maybe my body is saying you will be rid of this soon - but I will give you hell until then!

• Posted

Hang in in there I totally feel your pain! No laxatives worked for me they just made it worse ugh!! Can you try massaging the area gently? You need to keep going back to GP try and get your op sooner the constipation must be making you feel ill too you poor thing x
    • Posted

Oh I think you asked me too about how the bowel works and feels too! Mine feels very different like it's not working properly movement wise if that makes sense?

• Posted

Yep - I know exactly what you are talking about! You have made me feel a lot better today. One of the GP's I have seen told me she had never had a patient with fibroids who had my problems. 9 times out of 10 you have heavy periods - thats never been a issue for me - thankfully! I would hate to think what I would do if I had both problems - and I'm sure someone out there probably does. I finally got some relief - after taking maximum doses of the meds they gave me and a large bag of dried apricots. Don't do prunes or figs - yeuch!!! I have had a couple of really bad experiences where I have been unable to go for a few days and the pain is literally crippling - I try not to get to that point anymore! Got my pre-op on 10th March - so at least I might be getting somewhere. Please keep me posted on what's happening with you!

• Posted

Glad to hear that things are moving haha! Looks like we'll go through the sane thing around the same time!! My pre op is on the 15th!! Bloody he'll what do they know about fibroids and the problems they can cause! Sheesh! It's like having a beach ball down there!! X

• Posted

Hehehe! Just think - we will both lose a bit of weight when these horrors are gone! Extreme body mods! xx
    • Posted

Ha defo!! I can't shift half a stone and pretty much sure it's those buggers!! I look pregnant xx

• Posted

You hit the nail on the head! I often get that pregnancy like ache in my back if I have been walking a while. Be glad to be rid!!!
    • Posted

Yes that's it! You poor thing! Let's get these buggers out!!! 😃

• Posted

I just read your post. Have been away from this site for awhile. I seem to share your problems. My hysterectomy is scheduled for March 29. I have a retroflexed uterus filled with about 10 fibroids. I have constant back hip and leg pain, I also have terrible stomach problems. Bloated painful gas. Can't wait for this to be over. I have been suffering for about 3 years with this. Good luck with your surgery....I'm very nervous and scared but I can't continue to live in pain anymore either

Debbie ??????

• Posted

Oh I forgot to add that I don't have a bleeding problem either just excessive pain and pressure

Deb??

• Posted

Hi Debbie, It's a proper pain having fibroids this way. I don't actually have my surgery date as yet - just the pre-op appointment - I won't get my date until that has been completed. Are you having an abdominal cut? I know I am (when I get there!). How were you fibroids discovered? Mine started as a nagging backache that would come and go - but then got progressively worse - followed by bowel problems. I ended up with an MRI as they had no idea what was causing my issues at the time! By the way - Good luck for surgery!!!

• Posted

debbie,

Not all fibroids will cause bleeding.  The position, size and placement of the fibroids will have direct bearing on whether or not they cause any pain.

• Posted

Please contact

Dr Barbara Soltes here is her information. She was the only doctor that helped me. It took me 2 years to find her and she is the very best. You do not have to suffer another day. Research her, google her, whatever you need to do. She saved my life.

1725 W. Harrison St.

Professional Building

Suite 739

Chicago, IL  60612

Driving Directions

Phone:

(312) 563-9389

• Posted

woops her number is 312 563 1000  Dont wait another day and suffer any longer.
    • Posted

That might be OK if you live in the USA - but I live in the UK!!! I am quite happy with my gynae and the decisions we have made, just a little more time and patience and everything will be just fine :-)
    • Posted

It's nice when people try to help - but to be honest I,m not going beyond my local hospital - it's just 30 mins down the road - and I shouldn't get a sore back travelling there cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.