Fibroids, Esmya and Diet..

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello ladies

I've been reading bits and pieces on here about fibroids and esmya, and I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a recent experience of the medication, or anyone who could give feedback from their experiences.

I'm 34 and have been diagnosed with 2 fibroids - one 7cm and the other 11cm. I've been prescribed esmya, and I am on my second month now and will return to the doctors after three months of taking it where they will scan me again. I suffered side effects the first few weeks - dizziness, feeling sick in the mornings and tiredness, but that does seem to have subsided now.

I'd like the fibroids removed really, but I don't think they want to operate on me as I already had one huge fibroid removed 5 years ago - that one was 18cm.. so operating again on these ones would probably put my fertility at further risk etc.. but the fibroids can really petrude some days and be uncomfortable so I'm just hoping they do shrink.

Will this medication significantly shrink my fibroids..? Or is it variable from one person to the next? Also, has anyone experimented with their diet to promote shrinking their fibroids? I'm trying all sorts and have now literally gone vegan and wheat free. I hear that flaxseeds and maca powder are good too so adding these to my smoothies.

Thanks for reading..any comments welcome.. x

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Lizziebe, I have been having Esmya since May last year, my fibroid hasn't shrunk, it is the same size so far 11x 9. I stoped Esmya about a week a ago, I started my period again. I had some sideffects at the begining and like headaches and nausia. I have turned vegan since May last year and this is helping a lot with all the simptoms and especially the bloating, but my fibroid hasn't shrunk! I will have an ultra sound in February to see after stopping Esmya what will happen to the size of the fibriod. 

• Posted

Hello farida2

I'm sorry to hear your fibroid appears to be so persistent and the esmya hasn't made a difference. It seems everyone has a different result with it. Do you think they will operate to remove the fibroid? My period has continued as normal this month whilst on esmya, but maybe they will stop if I were to take esmya long term. I agree that a vegan diet helps with the bloating. x

• Posted

Hi LissieBe, I  think I will remove mine eventually, but I am not ready psychologically yet! 
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie

I am on my third course of Esmya now. I started on them in February 16. I had same side effects on first course but they subsided. I see my gynaecologist every 3 months for reviews. I was scanned end of October and pleased to say that most of my smaller fibroids had shrivelled away and the largest one shrunk from 11cm down to 5cm. My gynaecologist is trying to avoid hysterectomy as I am 52 and peri menopause. I had suffered with terrible heavy periods and clotting but taking thismedication has given me my life back. So my advice to you is persevere with the side effects, it does get easier and hopefully the Esmya will produce good results xx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, I have been taking Esmya off and on for the last 3 years, I should be in menopause now at 59 but my fibroids keep growing back and causing bleeding. Each time I have taken Esmya it has reduced the fibroids significantly, but it seems to be different for each person. I have just  lasted 7 months between courses and really thought the fibroids had gone, but at least one seems to have grown back. So I have now started Esmya again. I had bad headaches for the first week, but other than that I am OK. I take It at night, which seems to reduce the dizziness.

Regarding diet, I have not found that any change is effective. I used to take flaxseeds all the time, but since reading conflicting reports as to whether, being phytonoestrogens, they actually make things worse I have stopped. I do take milk thistle and DIM capsules which seem to really help with the bleeding. Hope that Esmya works for you x

• Posted

Hi Christine

I used to drink soya milk until recently thinking that I was replacing lost oestrogen with natural plant phyto oestrogens. And eat seeds etc. for this reason and other health benefits. Also the womens multi vit I take has soy isoflavones and flax extract. I am beginning to think these may be feeding my fibroids and your comment has made me think I should stop taking them for now. I don't have large fibroids but they make me bleed heavily each month. I'm 58 and like you think I should be near menopause by now.  It's worth a try stopping the soy and flax products for now I guess anyway. Thank you. Best wishes to all

• Posted

I also bought a book, eat to beat menopause. this has lots of phytoestrogens in the ingredients. I believed that fibroids shrink after menopause but now I'm thinking I've been keeping them alive! Trying to deal with menopause symptoms will have to wait while I still have the fibroids.

• Posted

Hi LizzieBe,

I'm similar age to you with one large fibroid. I've been on Esmya for a few months now. Unfortunately my recent ultrasound has shown no change in the size of the fibroid.

Esmya has however given me a bit of my life back by managing my symptoms, so it's been good for me.

Everyone responds differently though so don't give up hope!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Has there been any discussion to have yours removed?
    • Posted

Yes myomectomy was on the cards but I'm undecided just now as I don't have a family yet. I know there's a risk of partial/full hysterectomy if any complications arise during surgery and I don't want the option taken from me.

• Posted

Fibroids don't shrink from medications or herbs. You will eventually have to get a ufe or hysterectomy. But I'm not a doctor. Just from experience and research.

• Posted

Hi John

I think you will find if u research a little more that fibroids do infact shrink and shrivel away after the menopause as there are no hormones to sustain them.

• Posted

Yes I know that they shrink after menopause but I think that women who are in their 30s with large fibroids only have a few options if they want them out and herbs and meds won't do the trick. I think that the ufe is the best option and women can still get pregnant? My wife got that and in 7 days was back in the gym.

• Posted

Myomectomy is usually the recommended route for those who still want to have children and to preserve their fertility, not UFE. Research shows that there are still questions about the possible affects on womens fertility, so most gynaecologist would not recommend it to those seeking to have children.
    • Posted

Hello UFE27. Thanks for your reply. The worry is that I've already had one myomectomy about 5 years ago to remove a huge fibroid that was about 18cm - I basically looked pregnant, and there was no question about having that one removed as it was so big and caused a lot of discomfort etc. My worry now is that if they operate again, my womb will have further scarring and possibly further damage the wall etc, and so may effect fertility further. I think that's why they have prescribed me with esmya in the first instance..to try protect fertility as much as possible. I just really hope they shrink..if only temporarily, so that my options remain open a little longer.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.